I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

lillippa328

The 1 thing that turns you off of a movie....

Wats the one thing that makes u automatically dislike a kung fu movie a lot less??

for me, its when they speed up the camera and stuff!!!OOMMG I HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!

LIKE Iron Monkey 2 ....wTF! I understand certain parts of Iron Monkey were sped up a little bit, but WOW they sure as hell went into zoom mode with IM2....terrible....

what about for yall?

Guest Yi-Long

- Shakey-cam

- Talentless popstars pretending to be martial artists (unconvincingly), instead of talented screenfighters.

- Speed-up

- Bad sound-effects which lessen the impact.

...and all the other stuff you can think off when it comes to bad choreography and filming of a fightscene.

A cop out fight ending. I want to see the villain dispatched with the coolest move ever, not a gimmick, or tripping over something and falling off a building or some such thing.

I hate it when they use to many cuts and camera angles for just one small fight sceen, and half of the time, it's usually because the martial artist is in experianced.

-Goldenfist

Bad cinematography and editing during fights.

I confess that I don't mind pop idols pretending to be martial artists as long as the film is not *primarily* about martial arts (i.e. - it is a crime story, a fantasy film or a wuxia romance or a historical spectacle - you get the idea) and as long as the film crew pulls it off decently.

But if the use of camera and editing works against the actors rather than in their favor - that is a major PITA.

Not the fault of filmakers but.... Fullscreen VHS and DVD's can sometimes kill a movie for me, especially if they've barely bothered to do the pan and scan properly.

Undercranking is my number one turnoff. I don't mind wirework TOO much in wuxia, but I generally don't like it at all in straight kung fu. And for me, it's not a "realism' issue at all. I LOVE trampoline work, and even the reverse-film jumpimg---those just look cool to me. Undercranking and a lot of wirework just doesn't look natural to me.

Undercranking is my number one turnoff. I don't mind wirework TOO much in wuxia, but I generally don't like it at all in straight kung fu. And for me, it's not a "realism' issue at all. I LOVE trampoline work, and even the reverse-film jumpimg---those just look cool to me. Undercranking and a lot of wirework just doesn't look natural to me.
Funny, I'm the opposite pretty much, LOVE undercranking, Lu Chin Ku films, Supreme Swordsman early '80s cranked madness-type of stuff is my main bag, elsewhere I still feel it; dig OTT wirework any genre. Really don't like trampoline or reverse jumping - those two rub me wrongly.

The undercranking in Donnies yens fist of fury series was awful really spoilt it.

Also hate it when the camera is to close the the action and you cant see whats going on!

And really dark fight scenes.

Ditto for large amounts of undercranking and poorly lit night scenes. Also, I find it annoying when a fight begins with one guy just swinging wildly around while the other dude flips out of the way and it goes on for more than 10 seconds.

Not to mention CGI and subtitles that give the rest of the screen an afterglow effect.

I have seen undercranking that is unnecessary but films like Supreme Swordsman definitely do it right. Robert Tai usually pulls it off, as do most films that aren't super low budget.

Excessive slow motion might annoy me but mostly its just hilarious. Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu, the ending just goes on and on with this one shot that had me laughing pretty hard.

Has anyone ever heard a dubbed line that they just could not decipher, no matter how many times you replay it? I sometimes can't understand a quarter of what is being said with some dubs.

Poor lighting is enemy of the good action scene.

Guest I Like Elaine

The over use of cutting techniques and stunt doubles to hide weak or no martial art skills.