I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

TibetanWhiteCrane

Bey Logan Audio Commentary List

Just bought the Dragon Dynasty release of Last Hurrah for Chivalry for 32£ on Amazon, mainly because of Bey's commentary since I already own the Joy Sales Release (although it's one of my favourites). So you'd better live up to your normal standards Bey!

I can't blame the man for preferring Golden Harvest, I am the same way.

It is more of a personal preference and I don't think there is a right or wrong way to feel on the subject.

I have only been watching Shaw Brothers films recently, and I still feel pretty much the same way.

I can't blame the man for preferring Golden Harvest, I am the same way.

It is more of a personal preference and I don't think there is a right or wrong way to feel on the subject.

I have only been watching Shaw Brothers films recently, and I still feel pretty much the same way.

I've only watched A handful of Shaw Bros movies so far but it's been films like "Rebel intruders", "magnificent ruffians", "Shaolin rescuers", and "masked avengers" that have been truly outstanding films featuring the "venoms" featuring some amazing choreographed fights, with moves and skills that just blow you away. Lu Feng taking on 4 venoms in the finale of "Shaolin rescuers" was just sensational stuff.:xd: similarly the finale of "masked avengers" just blew me away:xd:

both Golden Harvest and Shaw Bros have both made great movies and it's surprising how seeing the right movies has me the most excited that I've been for quite some time to see even more Shaw Brother films:tongue:

Guest Markgway

If you took Sammo Hung out of the equation Shaw Bros would win hands down... as it is they still have the edge for me.

There is more to Golden Harvest than Sammo (although he is one of the highlights). Don't forget Bruce Lee (I know he only made a few films with them). Those kicked off a new era for martial arts and HK cinema. The films were more modern and realistic in tone.

The difference between the Shaw films and the others is style. The Shaw films are more old-fashioned and you will prefer those if that's what you like. To me, a lot of them are the same. I know I may be in the minority here with this opinion though.

I can see how Bey would have a preference or bias for the Golden Harvest films.

Style, absolutely, but can you clarify what you mean by old-fashioned?

The difference between the Shaw films and the others is style. The Shaw films are more old-fashioned and you will prefer those if that's what you like. To me, a lot of them are the same

The Shaw Brothers style is typically period piece and played very seriously and the type of hero is usually the same. By old-fashioned, what I mean is that they had been doing that style for a long time in HK and China.

I just watched The Five Deadly Venoms the other night and on Bey's commentary he states that the film was only a mild success in HK because audiences had thought of Cheng Cheh and that type of film as passe by then. I can see why, I was actually surprised to find out it was made in 1978 because it seemed older to me because that style had been around a long time by that point. I watched One-Armed Swordsmen recently and the Venoms film didn't seem that far advanced in comparison.

I still would have liked to see Bruce Lee in a Shaw Bros. type film though. I think he would have elevated that type of film to a new level if you mixed their style with his.

The Shaw Brothers style is typically period piece and played very seriously and the type of hero is usually the same. By old-fashioned, what I mean is that they had been doing that style for a long time in HK and China.

I just watched The Five Deadly Venoms the other night and on Bey's commentary he states that the film was only a mild success in HK because audiences had thought of Cheng Cheh and that type of film as passe by then. I can see why, I was actually surprised to find out it was made in 1978 because it seemed older to me because that style had been around a long time by that point. I watched One-Armed Swordsmen recently and the Venoms film didn't seem that far advanced in comparison.

I still would have liked to see Bruce Lee in a Shaw Bros. type film though. I think he would have elevated that type of film to a new level if you mixed their style with his.

I think Bruce definitely planned to work with Shaws, Shame it never got to happen.

As for Five Venoms, I was surprised it was 1978 too. Looked like an early 70s pic to me. Still, it's fantastic.

Agreed. That would've been a fun watch.

hi Travis, I haven't had a chance to watch "the five deadly venoms" so can't comment on that movie but in my research on this forum into venoms movies "the five deadly venoms" was far from the most popular "venoms movie", with perhaps as many people not liking it as liking it. all I would say is don't make that film your last "venoms" movie.I would also say that a film's success in the Hong Kong box office means very little when you think that a film like Donnie Yen's iron monkey was a flop. Yet it's probably in most Martial arts fans favourite movie lists.

Maybe the era of Chang Cheh had passed but in the years that Followed "the five deadly venoms" his films Featured some fantastic choreography, dynamic performances and acrobatic martial arts performed by the venoms that is up there with anything Sammo, Jackie and Yuen Biao did which is what you want to see, right?

films like "Rebel intruders", "magnificent ruffians", "Shaolin rescuers", and "masked avengers" may seem old-fashioned but the fight sequences are just crazy. Fantastic stuff.

By the way you might also be interested to know that "Shaolin Rescuers" isn't as serious in tone as other Chang Cheh movies I've seen, being more light-hearted and reminding me quite a bit of Jackie Chan films in the late 70s early 80s

Maybe the era of Chang Cheh had passed but in the years that Followed "the five deadly venoms" his films Featured some fantastic choreography, dynamic performances and acrobatic martial arts performed by the venoms that is up there with anything Sammo, Jackie and Yuen Biao did which is what you want to see, right?

Yeah....it's hard to go wrong with a Venoms movie, they had the skills and the charisma, blue_skies you might be interested to know that Sun Chien, the taekwondo guy, made his final appearance and was the assistant director in 'Angry Ranger' which I recommended to you a while back!

To keep on topic I'd love to hear more of Bey's commentaries on Shaw Brothers movies, despite the flack he seems to be getting on here, I always found them very informative and easy to listen to, perhaps because I'm a fellow Brit.

As for popsjnr....man you should write a book! Seriously, I think it would be an interesting read. Generally people who have worked in or with the HK movie industry when it was at it's peak have fond memories of the period, whereas your expreiences seem to have given you quite a jaded view....I only base this on your comments about "the arsehole" Jet Li, "the prat" Bey Logan, & "the idiot" Rick Baker.

In fact that could be a great name for the book - "The Arsehole, The Prat, & The Idiot" by Pops 'I dont want trouble but I wont run away from it' Jnr...just try to resist printing the name of your kung-fu school on every other page as you seem to do in the forum.:tongue:

I've been on a bit of a Bey Logan commentary binge recently, they're great to have on in the background while I do something else.

Though if I had to make a criticism I would say he can be quite forgiving of weaker recent films that his friends are in, but of course that's quite natural and doesn't really spoil the commentaries.

As for him personally, I can't comment on what he may or may not have been like in his younger days, but I did occasionally email him in the early 2000s and found him nothing but gracious and modest He even invited me to meet up if I ever made it out to Hong Kong.

Yeah....it's hard to go wrong with a Venoms movie, they had the skills and the charisma, blue_skies you might be interested to know that Sun Chien, the taekwondo guy, made his final appearance and was the assistant director in 'Angry Ranger' which I recommended to you a while back!

thanks for that little tid bit of information I did find it interesting to know. According to Hong Kong cinemagic it looks like he had a big role was well. I wonder why he retired from the business? He was only 36 when he made "Angry Ranger". I also wonder what Sun Chien has been doing for the last 20+ years.:nerd:

As for popsjnr....man you should write a book! Seriously, I think it would be an interesting read. Generally people who have worked in or with the HK movie industry when it was at it's peak have fond memories of the period, whereas your expreiences seem to have given you quite a jaded view....I only base this on your comments about "the arsehole" Jet Li, "the prat" Bey Logan, & "the idiot" Rick Baker.

In fact that could be a great name for the book - "The Arsehole, The Prat, & The Idiot" by Pops 'I dont want trouble but I wont run away from it' Jnr...just try to resist printing the name of your kung-fu school on every other page as you seem to do in the forum.:tongue:

that made me chuckle :bigsmile:

There is more to Golden Harvest than Sammo (although he is one of the highlights). Don't forget Bruce Lee (I know he only made a few films with them). Those kicked off a new era for martial arts and HK cinema. The films were more modern and realistic in tone.

The difference between the Shaw films and the others is style. The Shaw films are more old-fashioned and you will prefer those if that's what you like. To me, a lot of them are the same. I know I may be in the minority here with this opinion though.

I can see how Bey would have a preference or bias for the Golden Harvest films.

Also, don't forget Angela Mao, Chen Sing, Carter Wong, Wang Ing Sik, and Chang Yi's contributions.

Hey One armed boxer with a book title like that I would be writing about internet tough guys like the lot of you...eh??

as you can probably hear I am crying with fear over all the hardman comments on this thread....oh no I am crying with laughter instead!!

Since mr Teako asked me to refrain from posting on this thread I have tried to do so but you trainspotters continue to badmouth me here. Just want to make you people realise how much you bother me, I am trembling with fear about your comments, I think you are all MUGS and I find it amazing you lot cant see what a bunch of little mongs you are.

Hopefully I will now be banned from here coz this forum reminded me why I got out of being involved with martial arts movie fans years ago. You have an address where you SAD mofo douche (stupid wording I know only an idiot would say that..eh??) prats can find me-lets see how you like namecalling

Hey One armed boxer with a book title like that I would be writing about internet tough guys like the lot of you...eh??

as you can probably hear I am crying with fear over all the hardman comments on this thread....oh no I am crying with laughter instead!!

Since mr Teako asked me to refrain from posting on this thread I have tried to do so but you trainspotters continue to badmouth me here. Just want to make you people realise how much you bother me, I am trembling with fear about your comments, I think you are all MUGS and I find it amazing you lot cant see what a bunch of little mongs you are.

Hopefully I will now be banned from here coz this forum reminded me why I got out of being involved with martial arts movie fans years ago. You have an address where you SAD mofo douche (stupid wording I know only an idiot would say that..eh??) prats can find me-lets see how you like namecalling

c893656c4bc54cfbe88e59d5f956dbd27f1.gif

Ok everybody, let's see if we can get back to the actual topic at hand. I have spoken with popsjnr and everything is good, so let's not continue to keep this fire lit. Anyone needs to get in final words, send it to me in a PM but please keep it off this thread or forum in general. Thanks...

Having had a long back and forth with Bey Logan, recently, I now know my stills were lost in transit from Ireland to HK, Thank You Bey, as it had bothered me for years what had happened to them...hence the thought you had taken them.

I may still not be a fan of the commentaries, or any other for that matter, but I know a lot of people are and get a lot from them, and I respect that,I just wish they could respect that not everyone has the same opinion and refrain from jumping down other peoples throats!!

Bey has been magnanimous enough to invite me and my teacher and si-hing-dai to meet up with him in HK in 2013 and I am sure we will take him up on it.

Glad to hear that sanity finally prevailed! But as far as “people jumping down other people’s throats” is concerned… the amount of ugly black bile, of brazen disrespect and baseless accusations that you piled on Logan really deserved no other response than the ones you received. So all the hatemongering was seemingly caused by some stills “lost in transit”? Oh dear… I sincerely hope in the future you will learn to show some respect for others and their opinions first, before you moan about disrespect towards yourself and your own convictions.

Have any of the old HKL commentaries been re-used by Dragon Dynasty? I know they have released some of the same movies.

To my knowledge, no. Bey always re-commented the movies in those cases, and rightfully so since anything else would be copyright infringement :P Bey doesn't own his commentaries, HKL did.

To my knowledge, no. Bey always re-commented the movies in those cases, and rightfully so since anything else would be copyright infringement :P Bey doesn't own his commentaries, HKL did.

The Cine-Asia releases, on the other hand, appear to be the exact same discs that were put out originally. Good news for people that missed them after Contender closed HKL down. Hopefully they can also dig out the Snake/DM Platinum discs that were shelved. Really want the Mike Leeder/Hwang Jang Lee interview.

Somewhat sorry for bumping this old thread but I just have to say the one he did for the HKL dvd of Once Upon a Time in China was made very awkward and downright awful by Mark King. King just wasn't in the least bit interested in the film and his one worded "no" answers was just frustrating and insulting to the viewer. Logan himself was good of course, I'm glad Mark King never turned up again given his such low opinion of HK cinema.