Alexandra

The Alexander Fu Sheng Thread

He's one of my favourite actors. 8 Diagram is great, and of course there are the tragic circumstances surrounding the film... I'm not trying to be blasphemous, but I find him a bit too overkill in it, despite the dramatics levering the film to which he spices his part, he's a bit too much in it for me, a bit too histrionic; the rest of the ensemble carry things better emotionally for me, plausibly in light of the circumstances concerning finishing the film, Gordon, LKL, etc. give it some.

The guy was at a peak in Disciples Of Shaolin, my favourite of his, lean, vivacious, and not just chewing the scenery, but tearing it up, a proper force of energy, even the way he perches on a table bench has some joyous charisma to it, let alone his b/w ruckus scene. Most impressive I've ever seen him; one of my most favourite Shaws. Chang Cheh at a peak, Fu Sheng making it truly great. Shaolin Cycle era he was a charismatic wonder. My favourite actor to see rocking LKL's hung gar basings.

I remember going to see a double feature of My Rebellious Son and Deadly Breaking Sword in NY's chinatown right after Fu Sheng passed away.

I actually sat through the films not even knowing he was dead!

It wasn't until after we left the theater that I took a better look at the poster outside. It was a listing of Fu Sheng double features playing for the next week or so and it said in "memory of the late Fu Sheng" or something like it!

I was completely floored. My friends and I went around asking about it and eventually found out about the car accident, etc.

What a sad day / summer that was.

Can't believe it's been over 25 years...

I was just a kid then.

R.I.P. Fu Sheng

For me "Disciples of Shaolin" is defenitely his best dramatic performance. The final fight against the crowd of villiains (in the uncut version) is absolutely remarkable.

But not only this: It's also his wide range of feelings, he could show in this movie. The "Parcival" who went through the story with naivity, charm, humor, a big heart, bravery and the will to change his live, from the poor boy to the respected one.

Blutsbruder

I remember this interview with Wang Lung Wei as well. Both were really good friends (not in movies, but in real life). Look at Wang Lung, at AFS funeral. He was so broken-hearted !!

Have a look at this link: "My beloved..." :)

http://laukarleung.com/_wsn/page4.html

And I remember an interview with AFS "best time companion" Chi Kuan Chun, telling, that Fu Sheng wasn't well-educated, foolish and a partner, no conversation could be done with. So, the frame fits. Fu Sheng has been a bit like the characters he played.

I think Fu Sheng would've been one of the 1st. Main stars of SB to crossover to American Hollywood movies, along side with Bruce Lee. To me his best role was in Avenging Eagles he was a total Badass in that flick!

Thank you for sharing this material but I try to not speak all the time about his death, I prefer to talk about his life, his legacy, which is tremendous. We can see Alexander every time, in the fantastic things he done. I refuse to keep me safe talking about this loss. He lives in us, in every fan, in every woman who loves him, in every man that feel inspired by him. He made a good life and left thousend of topics to talk about.

And of course, as a women, I can write without stop about his charming personality, fashion, beauty, etc. But women in this forum can speak and discuss too about fighting scenes, characters interpreted, etc.

I'm actress so I use to follow the steps of an actor in scene, how he "built" the character, what was the best director for him, etc. That would be my next thinking.

Alexandra

To me his best role was in Avenging Eagles he was a total Badass in that flick!

Oh! I can't decide which one was his best role! I have qualifications for each movie or character... So, I agree with you that the character played in Avenging Eagle is very rich, the partnership with Ti Lung is remarkable. He plays between a rogue guy, and a dangerous man.

I think now in The Return of the Sentimental Swordsman... Alexander built a character that I labelled "bitter". He is full of dramatic density without great scenic display. I must say that dramatic performance do not consist all the time in fabulous screenplays, with an actor yelling or crying desesperately, the most difficult performance is when you must to be quiet, and the silence in movies or theatre are the most dangerous thing to learn. Dramatic silences are more dangerous than a blade.

The most remarkable scene, in my opinion, was the moment when he slayed the evil woman (Afei wife), and said something like this: "Your men had something that I have not: feelings". Superb. The audience feel a catharsis in this instant. Finally, this man put an end to the life of a awful woman whom brought over the life of many people misfortune.

In the past messages I asked for best or remarkable dramatic performances......this one could be one.

See ya

Alexandra

I'm actress so I use to follow the steps of an actor in scene, how he "built" the character, what was the best director for him, etc. That would be my next thinking.

Alexandra

Not to derail the thread, but is there something you can recommend for us to watch that you've acted in?

Okay, as you like it, Alexandra.

As a woman, I have to write the following story (which no one will interest):

The first time I watched a Fu Sheng movie (Disciples of Shaolin/Karato, sein härtester Schlag) has been the time I started learning spanish. So, what happend? On one hand I was really impressed about this fantastic, beautiful language, on the other hand, much more impressed by Fu Sheng. Result: My spanish teacher from Chile called me a slacker. But, I wasn't. Instead of learning spanish I watched all the Fu Sheng movies, I coud get, for almost 24 h (what a busy girl !!). At the same time, I brought a long time desire to reality: Learning Karate.

We write the year 1998. It was the first time I could go into the internet. My first interest was: "What happened to him? Where is he? Why are there since 1983 no movies with him?". First there where a really cute little page, that I found. A view weeks later I had to read about his tragic death. That was the day, I decided to make this guy unforgotten.

So, in Germany I did it. I'm proud, that I could give Fu Sheng the platform he deserved.

I don't like Fu Sheng so much in "The Avenging Eagle".

Cause he don't play this part so convincing.

Also I don't like him in the "Brave Archer Stories 1 till 4".

Fu Sheng is at his best, in my opinion, in his Shaolin Brothers roles: "One for all, and me for you". On the other hand, in this kind of movies, I don't like his "litte brother" image.The "fool", who must be guarded by the heroic ones like David Chiang (LOL), and Ti Lung (okay).

So my all time favourites will be:

- Disciples of Shaolin

- The New Shaólin Boxers

- Heroes Two

- Men from the Monastery

- China Town Kid

- Na Cha the Great

Not to forgett his really great appearance in: "Police Force" !!

Maybe we have to open an internal thread with a discussion about "The late Fu Sheng". Because this is a complete other person/actor/man.

He's one of my favourite actors. 8 Diagram is great, and of course there are the tragic circumstances surrounding the film... I'm not trying to be blasphemous, but I find him a bit too overkill in it, despite the dramatics levering the film to which he spices his part, he's a bit too much in it for me, a bit too histrionic; the rest of the ensemble carry things better emotionally for me, plausibly in light of the circumstances concerning finishing the film, Gordon, LKL, etc. give it some.

I agree I thought he was taking it a little too 'over the top,' still a great movie and fitting tribute to him.

I first saw him in Ten Tigers and I thought he was kind of annoying. More recently I've watched Avenging Eagle, Chinatown Kid and 8 Diagram, and I really liked him in those. I've got a copy of Five Shaolin Masters that I have yet to watch, looking forward to it.

I think Fu Sheng was outstanding in so many of his roles, I love all of his films and performances, all of them, but in "Avenging Eagle" there is a quiet, deadly, mysterious quality to his acting that is surprising and unexpected-flashes of a lethal hatred that are flashed and quickly pulled in. It is subtle and overpowering at the same time, not to mention his fight style is tight and compact and rooted. It's a beautiful Fu Sheng performance.

Not to derail the thread, but is there something you can recommend for us to watch that you've acted in?

Well, I learn theater in the National Conservatory of Buenos Aires, the most prestigious one in my country. I always played in theater. I have some pictures of several performances. Along five years I was into a little theater company, it was a splendid time in my life. Today, I learn cinema direction.

See you

Alexandra

Okay, as you like it, Alexandra.

A view weeks later I had to read about his tragic death. That was the day, I decided to make this guy unforgotten.

So, in Germany I did it. I'm proud, that I could give Fu Sheng the platform he deserved.

Ah! Puedes entender español! Que fantástico! A mí me ha pasado algo similar cuando vi que no había nada más de Alexander después de 1983. Cuando me enteré de su desaparición lloré por tres días seguidos y lo convertí en un ángel y lo puse en el podio que se merece. Aclaro: en Argentina hablamos una variante de español que es el castellano, más dificil para algunos, es una lengua hermosa.

AH! you can understand spanish! How amazing! I have a similar experience too when I saw that nothing else about Alexander after 1983. When I knew that he died in a fatal car crash this year, I cried for three days and turn him in an angel and put him in a podium he deserves. Explaining: in Argentina we talk a branch of pure spanish which is castillian, more difficult for some people, but is a wonderful language.

See you

Alexandra

I don't like Fu Sheng so much in "The Avenging Eagle".

Cause he don't play this part so convincing.

Also I don't like him in the "Brave Archer Stories 1 till 4".

Fu Sheng is at his best, in my opinion, in his Shaolin Brothers roles: "One for all, and me for you". On the other hand, in this kind of movies, I don't like his "litte brother" image.The "fool", who must be guarded by the heroic ones like David Chiang (LOL), and Ti Lung (okay).

Maybe we have to open an internal thread with a discussion about "The late Fu Sheng". Because this is a complete other person/actor/man.

Oh... on the contrary (I like the differences, make us very rich spiritually) I noticed a good character in Avenging Eagle. Maybe is my affection for the director Sun Chung... he was great. Alexander plays between a rogue guy and a very dangerous man. He don't convinces me in the saga Brave Archer (don't convince me Chang Cheh sometimes).

And of course he was amazing in the Fang Shih Yu character. Love Chinatown Kid and in Police Force (I saw only parts) he was so young, so fresh... I laugh very hard with your appreciation for David Chiang (LOL) I agree totally. He never convinced me, I don't understand what saw on him the Shaw Brothers (excuse me the fans) Ti Lung, for me, is the elegance as a whole. With "scenario presence", not all the actors reach this point. I hate when people says that Alexander was naughty, fool, dumb... he was clever, never a stupid one.

Agree with you with the thread "the late Fu Sheng" ... open it! Because he was at the end of his life a mature actor, in dramatic characters.

See you

Alexandra

Well, I learn theater in the National Conservatory of Buenos Aires, the most prestigious one in my country. Later, I studied with certain great theater masters, but suddenly, a "varieté" producer (did you understand the word "varieté"? Is acting in Cafe Concert) saw me and contract me for five year for his own show of Cafe Concert, as female protagonist.

See you

Alexandra

Alexandra, thank you for answering me in such great detail. I didn't know what the term meant, so I'm glad you explained it. I always love hearing about someone getting to live their passions and express themselves artistically, so I enjoyed your post a great deal! ;)

Apologies for temporarily derailing this thread, but back to Fu Sheng.

First of all, thank you very much for your great 'Biography'. It sounds fantastic to me. Congratulations, you made your way and used your talents !!

Now to my spanish "background": Not only, that I love the spanish language very much. Since 25 years (!!) I'm in love with a Spaniard :P And, believe it or not, he worked for more than 20 years, till the ambassy went to Berlin, for the Argentinean ambassedors. Btw: Argentina, what a beautiful country !! But sadly the Argentines had so many crises to endure :S Chapeau, to all of you !!

Muchos saludos

Tu hermano de sangre ;)

What are your opinions about the "late" Fu Sheng? His movies, his private live, and of course the rumors? And, with the "late" I mean, from 1979 till his tragically death in 1983.

Please let us know !!