I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Silver and Gold Dragon

What video games have you been playing

Shenmue I & II: Remastered edition. Had played the originals when I had both Dreamcast and XBox. Now that I see it, Ryo Hazuki reminds me of a young Kane Kosugi. Would have been a good choice if they made a movie version years ago. 

1000?cb=20170907090923

tumblr_o0vb7q2DmZ1txynxco1_640.png

Project Gotham Racing 4 and Bioshock 2. Finally have the entire PGR series, and am enjoying the 4th entry a lot. Might even be better than the second game!

Finally got an xbox one, relentlessly. Figured it was worth having to be able to play Halo 5 and Master Chief Colection when I want. Was playing a lot of Black Ops 4 the past few weeks, first COD game Ive been into since Modern Warfare 3. The persons account I was using was a level 5 prestige with a lot of reactive camo and diamonds. So they told me to prestige, tried, and hit the "start fresh" button on accident instead.... lost everything. Poorly designed game option.

Does anyone know if Battlefront 1 or 2 are worth picking up? Which Star Wars games have the best world design (most alien and unique, like Halo)?

20 hours ago, SMK said:

When I'm not working on the upcoming 36 Styles website, I've been enjoying the HELL OUT OF the brand new FREE battle royale game, APEX LEGENDS! Anyone else hooked on this new game?

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/play-now-for-free

My older brother is into this game. However, I saw some gameplay videos and it looks a bit like PUBG and Fortnite which to me has become the new staple for 3rd person shooters so unfortunately it doesn't interest me much at this point.

Edited by DiP

I recently got Kingdom Hearts III and EA UFC 3 for XBox One. But I also bought a Nintendo Switch and I have a total of nine games. I asked my kids each for a game they wanted. My oldest picked Just Dance 2019, my son picked Splatoon 2, my third picked SnipperClips, and my youngest picked Paw Patrol. I also got Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, MarioKart 8, Mario Tennis Aces, Let's Go Pokemon: Pikachu, and Scribblenauts Mega Pack.

I just started to play this new shinobi-tenchu games called Sekiro and it's good but it's hard as hell. it's from the developpers of the Dark Souls serie.

Picked up Sunset Overdrive for 4 or 5 bucks from the video game store. Crazy how cheap an xbox one game can be to me. Was wanting this game and didnt even realize that it ran used for roughly the same price as a single comic.

I really like the punk aesthetic and city world to the game. I enjoy city architecture and free-roam type of games so so far enjoying it, too soon to declare why I understand its price point yet or not.

Is it me or the Xbox one is kinda worthless these days ? it seems all the great games are coming for the Playstation 4.

I don't even have any console…. I'm only playing on my PC.

@kevenzz I mean hasnt it always been? Maybe not to the more serious gamer that appriciates about any game, but like I said a few posts up, I only got one for the rare occassion that I might want to pop in Halo.    A flop of a system from the beginning imo, seemed like barely an improvement over the 360 and with few standout games.

But it also seems to me like the state of gaming has changed where people are playing all sorts of games at different times instead of everyone on just one very popular game, and therefore people generally playing together less as well. Also less of an online community in terms of talking to randoms in matchmaking.

Edited by Koravec

On 11/22/2015 at 2:37 PM, Secret Executioner said:

Been playing a lot of King's Quest III lately. Don't ask me why, but I decided to go with this one first - probably due to wanting to try to finish this mofo that I never got through.

Anyway, I've been relatively far in the game since Monday (there's a score counter and I've been up to around 40 out of 210, though it seems you can finish those games with imperfect scores - I never reached the 185 points in King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne, always ending with 170-something points).
As I've mentionned, the first 5 or so minutes are rather slow since you can't go around like you want (unless you don't care about what happens, though I admit a lot of creative things can happen). So I essentially gathered items from rooms of the house I could go to without trouble. Once the wizard left, I searched his room, his study and his underground lab that you can get to from his office. On my way back up from the lab (since it's under the house), I encountered one of the many retarded deaths from this game - tripping on the cat while I had nearly reached the top of the stairs, falling back down somehow.
After restoring an old game (saving is very important and next to compulsory in this game), I made it all the way back up (without encountering the feline fiend who randomly pop up in rooms of the house, but as a satisfactory revenge, I kicked him the next time we crossed*) and decided to go down the peak. After falling down something like 6 times at the same blind spot**, I finally arrived at the bottom of the mountain... Only to be robbed by bandits as soon as I got into the forrest, which got me to literally go "WTF ?!" - and I was even more annoyed when I realized I had lost EVERYTHING I had in my inventory. After remembering that this is kinda supposed to happen from my old experience and that recovering the goods from the bandits leads to getting a few extra items, I kept going and notably got to the Bear family home (which isn't too far from the bottom of the peak). Much like in the story of Goldilocks, you're supposed to take one of three bowls of porridge while they're out for a walk in the woods. A funny extra is that while searching their house, you can also sleep in Baby Bear's bed - only for Papa Bear to throw you down the stairs and kick you out of the house (which somehow doesn't kill you BTW). I died a couple of times in the desert (there's some desert, a bit of forrest and a seaside part all within a rather small distance in case you're wondering what the area looks like) due to Medusa showing up and turning you into stone if you look at her - which usually happens seeing how fast this all goes and how she very often pops in in front of your character. You can defeat her if you don't get robbed, but I succeeded at showing her the magic mirror and turning her into stone only once out of like 4 attempts. But anyway, I defeated her (once) and was able to continue on***.

But I won't be able to find out, since I wasted too much time and I'll probably need to restart it all. As I was wandering in the forrest around 29 minutes in that f**kin' wizard appeared, got mad at me for plotting against him and wanting to uncover his secrets and thus... He turned me into dust, leading to my 10th or so death. Now knowing where to find what and what to do, I could probably be faster and poison him with a potion in the porridge (since it's how you kill him). But I still haven't found how to make the wizard's book and the magic map clear. The ink on both is very faint and so you can't see a thing on either, implying that you can't use the map to teleport or the book to make magic stuff.

Footnotes:

*  Yup, entering "kick cat" when next to it is a valid instruction.

** There's a portion of the way where the character passes behind a big rock, so you don't know if he's still on the very thin track or if he's going to fall should he keep going.

*** Kinda interesting that the Bears from Goldilocks and the Greek mythology monster Medusa seem to co-exist within a same universe... I'm sure there's more afterwards - KQ2 also did this with Little Red Riding Hood and Dracula being characters you encountered during the game.

In the time I was gone, I managed to beat King's Quest III, so hurray !!  :hvb_so_proud:

The game allows you to keep going after the wizard returns home (which I didn't know back in the day) - provided you are at the house and have hidden all the magical items or he kills you. Then you wait 5 minutes for him to go away and get 20 minutes to wander freely and this goes on on a loop until you defeat him. The manual turns out to be necessary since it contains all the recipes and formulas you need to make your magic stuff.

Following his defeat though, you have more trouble ahead as you need to return to your parents' country (spoiler: Gwydion is the son of Graham, the main character from the previous two games) and the only way is by sea... On a ship that's (of course) a pirate ship where you get your stuff stolen (again) but getting it back is fine. Waiting to go off the ship though... That takes a while, and you can't do anything except wander about and - if you have the enchanted item allowing you to understand animal language - listen to mice discussing a hidden treasure (a side-quest that gives you some extra points). You can jump overboard or summon a storm, but all these do is kill you. After escaping a shark and a yeti (and going through more deadly stuff like climbing down a mountain), you finally reach Graham's kingdom where you have to fight a dragon to save a princess who's your sister and all's well that ends well... Except when King Graham has a stroke while tossing his aventurer hat to his children, but I don't remember whether that happens at the very end of KQ3 or at the start of its immediate sequel King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella where Gwydion's sister Rosella goes on a quest to find the rare plant that will cure old Graham. And somehow, none of the magic Gwydion learnt in KQ3 seems to help or even be available... Gotta hate it when they toss in stuff only to ignore it immediately afterwards... 

As you can tell, defeating Manannan seemed like the ultimate task, but you're really barely halfway through when you're done with him. The second part involves exploring the countryside some more (notably a cave guarded by a giant spider in which you meet an oracle telling you your backstory), a lot of waiting on the ship (I love the little video that plays after the ship sails off - the ship looks neat there) and some more agility and reflexes as you have some tedious stuff to go through (like climbing down a mountain or travelling on a narrow path with a yeti randomly popping up). But the game is overall definitely worth playing and it can be beaten in an hour or two according to the timer at the end.

Edit: seen below are Gwydion in front of Manannan's house in KQ3 and Rosella in KQ4. The unmistakable design of Sierra games is part of what makes them so awesome. 

82248.jpg

kings-quest-iv-the-perils-of-rosella_3.png

Edited by Secret Executioner
Adding screenshots

On 5/23/2019 at 3:27 AM, DarthKato said:

Now I'm just chilling with Minecraft. 

What are you up to on the craft? I miss that game desperately haha. I might have it in me to rebuild my world again that got corrupted twice.     Do you play survival or creative, building anything of significance?

On 5/24/2019 at 7:08 AM, Koravec said:

What are you up to on the craft? I miss that game desperately haha. I might have it in me to rebuild my world again that got corrupted twice.     Do you play survival or creative, building anything of significance?

I usually play Survival on Hard Mode. Just got through building a two-story, underground house with a large garden. Now I'm starting on a large mine on Level 11 in search of dimounds and other stuff. I defiantly suggest getting back into it, as its very relaxing. =D

Currently (in 2019) shuffling between a few video games. It's one of the ways that keeps me sane while working and living in China for almost 15 years! LOL

Horizon Zero Dawn - bought this last year and played it for a week but was then persuaded by my co-worker to play God of War 4 instead. He was right. Now I'm getting back into it and it's great still. Main priority game now.
Sekiro - never played the Dark Souls series but I'm really into Japanese culture. This one is freakin' hard! Be prepared to die 50-100 times fighting one boss! Gonna take my time with this one. No rush! :)
Yoshi's Crafted World - this one on the Switch is mainly to entertain my 3-year-old daughter. She loves watching me play it for her. Blame me if my daughter grows up to be a gamer. LOL
Heavy Rain - played a few hours but is somewhat dated compared to modern cinematic storytelling games. Probably will get back to it later.

Previously played and finished in 2018:
Red Dead Redemption 2 - I literally played this game for 2 months non-stop every night. Loved it! Sadly, the last two chapters stink because you no longer play the main character. Also, Rock Star is pushing all resources for their online game play. :(
Detroit: Become Human - the latest cinematic storytelling game that truly pushes this genre to the next level.
God of War 4 - never played the previous 3. This one is a masterpiece!

Edited by gskmeva
Added Yoshi

If you're fan of story-driven single player, I highly recommend to check out "A Plague Tale: Innocence". Loved every bit of it!

10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I don't play video games but even I'm interested in this one...

And a million others are also waiting for this one too.

Video games these days aren't your usual Super Mario Bros. or Pac Man. They are now cinematic visual experiences and have gone a long way since ping pong.

BTW, that trailer was apparently edited by the director himself, Master Hideo Kojima.

I can't wait!

Do games on smartphones count ? Cause I've had a Samsung Galaxy J3 2016 for about a year and a half now, and I've been checking out games from the Play Store.

NBA Live mobile: very average. The graphics, animations and database of available players is impressive, but it's more a series of challenges you have to pass to gain items than a real basketball game. Sure, you can choose your favorite (current) franchise, do a lot of customization like switching jerseys, play a season mode (14 short games against 14 random teams before a playoff run) or games against other players, but the heart of the game is more in performing tasks to gain tokens than really playing basketball like in a classic NBA Live game (such as, for instance, the quite solid NBA Live '97 I have on the computer). Didn't keep that one for very long, especially when some challenges are very annoying.

Sega Heroes: that one is pretty fun. The realities of the Sega-verse have been merged/messed up with by some evil alien and various heroes gather to fight that evil, fighting a horde of robot duplicates of Sega characters (usually villains, though you sometimes come across a good guy too). You have a team of four characters and a grid like in Candy Crush, and your combosin the grid  lead to character attacking, eventually using special moves if you have stars in your combos. Also, a bar fills up and hen it's full the character gains another special move. That bar also needs to be filled to bring back a character that was defeated. I'm not too familiar with Sega games outside the classic Sonic stuff, so I didn't know most of these characters, but it makes for a very diversified cast - with fighters from Streets of Rage, Ninjas from Shinobi, (mostly) cute anthropomorphic animals from Sonic, barbarians from Golden Axe... The list goes on - and characters with various possibilities that you can (must) switch between when fighting villains. Sometimes, levels can frustratingly hard to beat and the worst part (for me) is when you have one of your characters in the opposing team and the character turns out much more efficient than yours. Then again, a character being much stronger and more competent when evil is a by-the-numbers trope so...

Being a comic book/superheroes fan, I wanted to try some DC and Marvel games like DC Legends and Marvel Future Fight, but they seem to be very heavy on ressources and my phone's memory would get saturated very quick - too bad, because the DC title looks pretty cool with a nice selection of characters. :sad: