I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Guest WuxiaFan

Where do you buy your DVDs?

So no one have any experience from http://shaw.intercontinental.com.hk/en/default.asp ??

seems to be to good to be true that they have all those IVL/Shaw titles in stock..

Yes.When something sounds too good to be true it usually is that.I have not taken look to their website for long time but when in past ordered from then..uhm there was maybe 5 titles they did not have in stock.At least Secret Service of IC and and I think Assassin were among those.

Look for alternative releases by Zoke and United,almost all officially released Shaws are still available from one distributor or another.

What's wrong with Hongkong-store.com? They have the Game of Death cd soundtrack that I want.

From my own experience, I ordered two items and never got them. They never responded to my questions about their status. They have ignored every query I sent them.

For the past two years I've been buying my DVDs online from Amazon and hkflix with no problems. I used to buy lots of IVL Shaw VCDs online from Sun Entertainment until it changed its website to Gundam-only stuff. The Sun Entertainment storefront in SF Chinatown still has Shaw VCDs/DVDs in stock. Before the website changed, it included lobbycard with photo and synopsis for each IVL DVD.

As for Buyoyo, check http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=122528 for Daigoro's warning from 2 days ago.

Guest WuxiaFan
I buy my stuff anywhere that sells them for the right price! I'm not limited, although I've stayed away from some places, like HKFlix, because they never seem to have a good price.

Agree, but still recommend using a reputable retailer that you trust. HKFlix is under new management and I've not been too hot on them anymore. They raised their free shipping threshold from $49 to $75 which is ridiculous! Plus, they don't answer emails anymore, which is just poor customer service. If they can't answer a question I have about a disc, I'm surely not going to order from them. They also got out of the hardware business which is disappointing, as I felt they were a leader in promoting and selling the best universal DVD players. :ooh:

What's wrong with Hongkong-store.com? They have the Game of Death cd soundtrack that I want.

From my own experience, I ordered two items and never got them. They never responded to my questions about their status. They have ignored every query I sent them.

Items that I have ordered from hongkongstore have come not shrink-wrapped and even scratched and in a "used" like quality. Fortunately, the disc that I ordered played fine and nobody else had it, so I didn't press them on it. However, when I ordered the HKL version of DREADNAUGHT, it appeared to be a used disc. So, I wrote them a scathing email and they refunded my credit card! So, if there's something you're interested in, I would email them first to make sure it's new and sealed and then place the order. You'll then have a contact that you can go back to if there's a problem. But be aware of other member's experiences with them. :ooh:

DDDHouse.com, Play-Asia.com, Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon Marketplace, Streetlight Records, Logo's Books and Music and a plethora of other places.

I will not buy anything "released" by Tai Seng, PanMedia/Red Sun or any other shady companies.

DDDHouse.com, Play-Asia.com, Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon Marketplace, Streetlight Records, Logo's Books and Music and a plethora of other places.

I will not buy anything "released" by Tai Seng, PanMedia/Red Sun or any other shady companies.

I thought Tai Seng was legit?

Did not want to start a new topic, but is there anyone else that have had problem ordering from ethaicd lately?

My order have been processing since the 10th may, They have answeared all my email with "i will look into the order immediately" and "I will send the order right away".. but on the website the order is still stated as Processing!?

They are...think he's just got them mixed up with some other company

Tai Seng used to be run horribly and offered sub-standard products. During the days of VHS, they would charge up to $90 for poor-quality tapes (my TS tape of High Risk starts out with a blue screen with "REC" in the corner) and would strong-arm brick and mortar stores into selling their product, even when there were better and cheaper alternatives available.

In the early days of DVD, they imported a lot of the generic Mega Star/Mei Ah DVDs that cost $10-20 at retail, slap one of their stickers on it to claim it was "their" version (yet would do nothing to address the terrible subtitles and sound mixes that were on many of these discs) and then charge a high markup, often driving the price to $40-50.

From what I understand, they have been under different ownership for the past several years. At any rate, the quality of their releases has improved substantially. They primarily still just import Hong Kong company's DVDs, but keep the prices reasonable, and if they do release their own version of a movie, there's more attention paid to the transfer and extras.

Guest WuxiaFan
Does anybody have any experience with HongKongDVDcentral? Seem like really good prices and a pretty good selection...

MattG - would not recommend that site. From looking at their selection, they seem to only have Panmedia/Ground Zero/Bonsai boots. I didn't see any legit versions. Please scoll back a couple of pages in this thread and see my list of recommended and not recommended sites. I'll try to update it soon, but haven't had a chance. :ooh:

MattG - would not recommend that site. From looking at their selection, they seem to only have Panmedia/Ground Zero/Bonsai boots. I didn't see any legit versions. Please scoll back a couple of pages in this thread and see my list of recommended and not recommended sites. I'll try to update it soon, but haven't had a chance. :ooh:

How can you tell if a particular site's DVDs are legit or booklegs? Are all releases from Panmedia/Ground Zero/Bonsai bootlegs? For instance, I saw some Panmedia releases on HKFlix.com (one of your recommended sites). I'm new to this and am just trying to understand. Thanks.

@ MattG

Are all releases from Panmedia/Ground Zero/Bonsai bootlegs?

Yes. PM/Bonsai/Ground Zero, whatever they fuckin' call their enterprise, they're just the biggest bunch of parasites in this game and ought to be boycotted by anyone who genuinely cares about the future viability of legitimate quality DVD releases for a niche market such as ours.

For instance, I saw some Panmedia releases on HKFlix.com (one of your recommended sites).

Yes, it is a sad fact that HKFlix does sell the gutter-quality stuff that Panmedia/Ground Zero/Bonsai is shitting out. Apparently they justify it with the "demand" that exists for it. Even though they nowadays have at least the decency to warn customers that they will not be reimbursed if those DVDs don't work properly, admitting in effect the God-awful quality of those boots.

I'm new to this and am just trying to understand.

You're adressing a very serious problem here. A lot of people, good friends of mine included, who are getting into KF films buy boots. Sometimes because they're the cheapest option and they just don't give a monkey's. But more often because they simply can't tell the difference between a legit and a pirated release. So forums such as this should try to make an effort again & again to point these out.

Guest WuxiaFan
How can you tell if a particular site's DVDs are legit or booklegs? Are all releases from Panmedia/Ground Zero/Bonsai bootlegs? For instance, I saw some Panmedia releases on HKFlix.com (one of your recommended sites). I'm new to this and am just trying to understand. Thanks.

I agree with Sheng's answers to your questions below. Let me add a few things as well. The retailers on my "recommended" list are legit retailers, however they may sell boots along with legitmate, licensed versions. HKFlix is a perfect example of that. So, knowing which DVDs are boots and which ones are legit just comes with learning about the genre and reading KFC FORUMS. There are countless threads on the topic.

Most legit retailers will post the "studio" or "distributor" of the DVD you're looking at. HKFlix uses "distributor", DDDHouse uses "studio", and Yesasia uses "publisher." The site you asked about below along with my "non-recommended" sites DON'T publish a distributor/studio/publisher because its a piece-of-shit boot and there isn't one. So, you'll have to learn who the legit distributor/studio/publishers are and you'll learn that by reading the Forums here. You'll often read people here referring to the "HKL version of ____" or the "IVL version of ____" or the "Criterion version of ____". That's how a lot of DVDs are referred by, so you'll need to learn the lingo around here. To try to make it easy for you, here are some of the most common legitimate distributors/studios/publishers:

-Celestial Pictures (production company that owns the Shaw Bros library)

-IVL (Intercontinental Video Limited, distributor of Celestial Pictures)

-Delta Mac (HK)

-Delta Mac (Taiwan) - distributor of Celestial Pictures)

-Fortune Star (production company, HK)

-Joy Sales (distributor for Fortune Star, HK)

-Dragon Dynasty

-Tokyo Shock

-Well Go USA

-Zoke Culture

-Mei Ah

-Hong Kong Legends (UK, out of business)

-Edko Video (HK)

-20th Century Fox

-Sony Pictures Classics

-Universe Laser (HK)

-Universal Pictures (USA and UK)

-Eastern Eye (Austrailia)

-Keris Video (Malaysia)

-Ikano Film (Malaysia)

-Magnolia Home Entertainment

-Optimum Asia (UK)

-Cine Asia (UK)

-Eureka Entertainment (UK)

-Tartan Video (UK)

-Criterion (USA)

-BCI Eclipse (out of business)

-AnimEigo

-Synapse Films

-Diskotek Media

-Panik House

-Wellspring

-Panorama Entertainment (JP)

-Shochiku Co (JP)

-Home Vision Entertainment/Image Entertainment

-Media Blasters

You'll also get to know cover art as well. At the website you asked about, all of the DVDs there have the same cover art as the Panmedia discs at HKFlix. You'll also be able to tell by the title of the DVD. For example, there's FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS which is the actual (English) name of the movie. Panmedia titles it "Chinese Super Ninjas" and has different cover art. There's losts of "AKAs" and that's something you'll learn the longer you're into the genre.

One final "given" is that in order to enjoy legitmate versions of movies from all over the world, you'll need to have a good quality true universal DVD/BR player. That's so you can be free to buy any DVD/BR version from anywhere in the world and not worry about region encoding and PAL/NTSC formatting.

:bigsmile:

Thanks for the insight. I had no idea there was that much to it. :squigglemouth:

One final "given" is that in order to enjoy legitmate versions of movies from all over the world, you'll need to have a good quality true universal DVD/BR player. That's so you can be free to buy any DVD/BR version from anywhere in the world and not worry about region encoding and PAL/NTSC formatting.

This raises another question: what is considered a "good quality" universal DVD/BR player?

Thanks.

Online from HKFlix, Amazon or eBay.

In person, at Half Price Books, the Asia Stationary Co. on Bellaire Blvd.or Hong Kong City Mall in Houston.

Circuit City used to have some good deals, but that went bust.

Guest WuxiaFan
This raises another question: what is considered a "good quality" universal DVD/BR player?

IMO, Oppo Digital made the best DVD players on the market. They have the best upconversion technology and the best PAL/NTSC conversion. IMO, no other player matches their quality. See Secrets of Home Theater HiFi.com for reviews of Oppo players, both DVD and BR players.

Their DVD players are all of production, but you can still get decent used machines on ebay. If you're going this route, go with the Oppo DV983H. IMO, the 983 is THE BEST DVD player ever produced - better than Denon, Pioneer, and anything else. Again, see the Secrets Benchmark review - it's the only player to ever get a perfect score on that test. Here's the Benchmark review by Secrets:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/dvd-players/284-a-secrets-dvd-player-benchmark-review.html

Oppo for superiority and hardkore

I'm hardcore! :bigsmile::wink:

Guest WuxiaFan

If anyone has anything to add to either list, or about any retailer, please reply.

:yociexp67:

Recommended and Reputable Sites::smile:

(not in any particular order or rank)

FUSUBS - KFC Forums group led by KUNG FU BOB - RARE OOP KUNG FU MOVIES!

Yesasia.com (HK)

Shaw.intercontinental.com.hk (official site for IVL/Celestial Shaws - they have ALL Shaw DVDs released by IVL/Celestial)

DDDHouse.com (HK) (Fortune Star/Golden Harvest/Celestial Shaws) (Excellent Prices!)

DVDAsian.com (USA) (Celestial Shaws)

Deepdiscount.com(USA)

Amazon.co.uk (UK)

Amazon.co.jp (Japan)

Cdjapan.co.jp(Japan) (English friendly, but pricey)

Amazon.com (USA)

Amazon.de(Germany)

Amazon.fr(France)

Chaos.com (Australia) (HKL discs)

Devoteddvd.com(Australia)

Sensasian.com (Malaysia)

Buyoyo.com (HK)

Play-Asia.com (HK)

Play.com (UK - no USA shipping)

CDWOW.com (UK)

HMV.com (UK)

Bestbuy.com (USA)

Barnes-Noble.com (USA)

DVDPlanet.com (USA)

AnimEigo.com (USA) (Excellent Prices!)

Fivestarlaser.com (Celestial Shaws)

Olivefilms.com(good selection of cult cinema)

Boulevardmovies.com(good selection of cult cinema)

Samuraidvd.com(Custom subbed Japanese DVDs - large selection, highly recommended)

Kurotokagi.com (Custom subbed Japanese DVDs - large selection)

Frys.com(USA)

Koreapop.com(Korea) (pricey)

Minhtan.com (USA)

Fareastflix.com (USA)(They sell DVD-R's as "Custom DVDs". Use with caution. I bought ZATOICHI 14 from them which was very good. But I also bought LADY CONSTABLES which sucked):ooh:

Sites NOT recommended OR Use With Caution:

:21_003:

HongKongDVDCentral (USA)

Kungfumovies.net (USA)

Hongkong-store.com (UK)

hkdvdstore.net (USA)

Edaymovie.com (USA)

StuffYouWanted-TheSamuraiDVDStore (they rip from kurotokagi.com and samuraidvd.com and then undersell them)

:khi3f:

DVD Comparison Sites

Dvdcompare.net

Dvdbeaver.com

If anyone has anything to add to either list, or about any retailer, please reply.

I recently found a site called cnemay.com

However I haven't been able to find anything written about them, which makes me suspicious. They do accept Paypal though.

Guest WuxiaFan
I recently found a site called cnemay.com However I haven't been able to find anything written about them, which makes me suspicious. They do accept Paypal though.

Just took a quick browse around their website. They are out of Beijing and it appears to be a legitimate site. They have a lot of Chinese cultural DVDs, but the also have some Chinese TV shows on DVDs. Their film DVDs are Chinese R6 by distributor Beauty, which is a legitimate distributor. Thanks for providing the site, but I would rather wait until someone orders from them and shares thier experience first before I add them to either list.