I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Guest WuxiaFan

Where do you buy your DVDs?

Guest WuxiaFan

I have several retailers that I buy my DVDs from that I know and trust, but I would like to know where you buy your DVDs. Here's who I primarily buy from:

HKFlix.com (Honolulu, HI, ship from CA)

I check their website practically everyday to see what's new and what's coming out. This is where I learned about DVD regions, region-free DVD players, and where I've bought most of my DVDs and my DVD players. Despite much trashing on this Forum, IMO think HKFlix.com is one of the best websites for marial art DVDs. Their account system is incredible. This is where I keep my wish list. I compare all other sites to HKFlix. They also have a "forum" called HKFlix Interact where you can start or post a comment about a particular DVD. Other good things: free shipping above $49 and they give you 2% back on your purchase in store credit. Sometimes they run a 10% special, so if you order $100, you'll get $10 credited to your account. That adds up after awhile:)

Yesasia.com (Hong Kong)

I think yesasia is an OK site, but you have to be careful and know what you're looking for. They now have a North American site that you must order from if you're in North America. Free shipping at $39.

DVDAsian.com (Santa Fe Springs, CA)

I like this site, but their prices are usually a little higher. They have a huge selection and they will ship any disc to you if they have it in stock. They have free shipping on just 3 discs or more, no matter the price. So, that's a good deal.

DDDHouse.com (Hong Kong)

I think this is an excellent site, also. Huge selection of SB and most everything else. They're prices are very low as the USD is strong against the HKD, but they don't have free shipping. So, I usually buy from them when their price + shipping is lower than someone else and/or they have an OOP disc in stock.

amazon.com

amazon.co.uk

The UK site is excellent for HKL and other R2 PAL discs. They will also display USD along with GBP so you know what your spending without having to go to another currency converter site.

sensasian.com (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)

Haven't ordered much from them, but I'll check them if I'm looking for something in particular that could be OOP. Thier site is somewhat "clunky". They have free shipping at $30, but all discs in the order must be from the same shipping origin. That is, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, etc.

Play-asia.com (Hong Kong)

I discoverd this site because I found the Japanese uncut versions of the KILL BILL Vol 1-2. I check them if I'm looking for something specific. Their prices are reasonable, but no free shipping.

Chaos.com (Australia)

This is an excellent site for HKL discs. They are distributed through Magna Pacific. I bought the OOP WAY OF THE DRAGON 2-disc Platinum version from them. They still have a lot of HKL discs! No free shipping. Their prices are in Australian dollars (AUD), but again the USD is strong against it. Make sure you have XE.com open to do the currency conversion.

Thanks! :)

I primarily use:

Buyoyo.com

DDDhouse.com (One thing I found cool about these guys, I had ordered a vcd of a Legendary Collection title and they upgraded it to the dvd release of it, for free as the dvd was released soon after I placed my order).

I've also purchased from sensasian, DVDAsian and Play-Asia. However if I'm looking for dvd's that I can get locally I generally use ebay, or visit a chain that stocks the title in question. If I'm after a single disc that might be a US release, I'll generally use ebay. I'm also ordering from a store I've never tried before, if the transaction is good I'll report on it.

DDDHouse...Excellent, friendly and cheap.

Play.com....For most R2 Dvds

CDWOW.....Not as good as before but still worth checking out.

HK Flix....Good layout website but never use them because they sell and promote bootleg discs openly.

Ebay....Can find some cheap gems but have to be careful of bootlegs

i purchase many of my region 2 and 3 DVDs (and the occasional region A Blu-ray) from yesasia.com, play-asia.com and cdjapan.co.jp. i no longer shop at hkflix.com because a few of my purchases from them were bootlegs / pirated copies. i'm greatly adverse to financially supporting piracy.

I mainly use Yesasia.com and Amazon.co.uk. Once in a while I'll use ebay and afew other sites if I can't find the titles anywhere else. If I'm passing by retailers in the high street I'll always look about for anything on sale. I do also go to a filmfair and buy cheap titles there.

As I haven't actually bought any discs besides Region 1, I get most things at Best Buy (Reward Zone member), a few at Wal-Mart, Target, Circuit City (before they went under,), Barnes & Noble, Borders and various used places: FYE/Suncoast, CD Warehouse, pawn shops, and so on.

For online shopping, I generally prefer Deep Discount, for the great prices and free shipping. I also have gone to Amazon (and Amazon.ca for a few things), DVDPlanet, or generally whatever online store might have the lowest price/or an OOP still in stock, if they are reputable.

I used to buy like crazy from the above mentioned websites, but slowed down during the last few years. I've also bought from various European locations to get rare widescreen or films that included the old school english dubs that weren't on Region 1 or 3 DVD versions of the same films.

KFS

DDDhouse-prices are much cheaper than hkflix and yesasia,and the fastest shipping among standard ones.So this is my favourite store.

It's not necessary but I'll vouch for DDDHouse. My last order left HK on a Saturday and got to me in Australia by the Tuesday. They also upgraded a vcd that I had ordered to the dvd version (as it came out shortly after I placed the order).

1) YesAsia and Five Star Laser for on-line shopping for imported dvds

2) DVD Planet for R1 releases

3) Best Buy for R1's I missed on-line

4) HKFlix if they have something the others don't

Guest WuxiaFan

I would like to thank those who have replied to this thread! I have some new sites to check out. Let me summarize the sites that have been suggested so far (in no particular order) including other sites that I would recommend:

HKFlix.com (USA) (by using the links from kungfucinema.com, that helps support the site!)

Yesasia.com (HK)

DDDhouse.com (HK) (Celestial Shaws)

DVDAsian.com (USA) (Celestial Shaws)

Amazon.co.uk (UK)

Amazon.co.jp (Japan)

Amazon.com (USA)

Chaos.com (Australia) (HKL discs)

Sensasian.com (Malaysia)

Buyoyo.com (HK)

Play-Asia.com (HK)

Hongkong-store.com (UK) (HKL discs)

Play.com (UK)

CDWOW.com (UK)

HMV.com (UK)

Pokerindustries.com (USA)

Bestbuy.com (USA)

BN.com (Barnes-Noble) (USA)

DVDPlanet.com (USA)

AnimEigo.com (USA) (they have good sales sometimes)

Fivestarlaser.com (Celestial Shaws)

Fareastflix.com (USA)(They sell DVD-R's as "Custom DVDs". Use with caution. I bought Zatoichi 14 from them, which was very good. But I also bought Lady Constables which sucked)

Feel free to also suggest sites to stay away from. One site that comes to mind:

Kungfumovies.net (USA) (I will say that this is the only site where I found FIST OF LEGEND Uncut version by Ritek. It is listed as "FIST OF LEGEND - CHINESE"

Guest WuxiaFan
I think Buyoyo.com is not China since my packages were shipped from HK.

Thanks! I changed it.

Thanks for the list WuxiaFan!! I had never heard of Hongkong-store.com and now that I have a region free player I've been trying to get my grubby hands on some HKL discs.

I just hope they will still be in stock when the US dollar exchange rate is a little better. :angel:

Guest WuxiaFan
Thanks for the list WuxiaFan!! I had never heard of Hongkong-store.com and now that I have a region free player I've been trying to get my grubby hands on some HKL discs.

I just hope they will still be in stock when the US dollar exchange rate is a little better. :angel:

Glad I could help, gorhama. :)

For HKL discs, recommend you check chaos.com and amazon.co.uk first. Those sites will be cheaper and chaos.com has a bigger selection. Hongkong-store is very pricey, so I would only use them for something you can't find anywhere else, such as DREADNAUGHT.

Glad I could help, gorhama. :)

For HKL discs, recommend you check chaos.com and amazon.co.uk first. Those sites will be cheaper and chaos.com has a bigger selection. Hongkong-store is very pricey, so I would only use them for something you can't find anywhere else, such as DREADNAUGHT.

Sounds like a plan. I already have a wish list at Amazon.co.uk it's just waiting for money.....I hate waiting. :P

Hey everyone...

Forgive me if this subject has been raised, if not, I'd like to start a thread on various sites, and their reliability, when it comes to ordering. Please post answers, and any experiences, good or bad, from places where you've ordered Fu Flicks.

To kick it off:

DDD House. I ordered from them for the first time today, and I was wondering, for anyone who has used them previously, how long did an item take to ship from there (HK), to the States? Secondly, how did you find their service/products? Lastly, will you use them again in the future?

I figure we can keep this going about the sites people here have used, as comments can be quite helpful for those not in-the-know.

Thanks in advance for any positive input.

:bigsmile:

To kick it off:

DDD House. I ordered from them for the first time today, and I was wondering, for anyone who has used them previously, how long did an item take to ship from there (HK), to the States? Secondly, how did you find their service/products? Lastly, will you use them again in the future?

I live in the New England area and usually takes about 7 days on average to receive my order from DDD. I always use them for all my Hong Kong DVD's especially Shaw Brothers flicks. I would say their service is good.

... I would say their service is good.

Thanks, MS, I appreciate the quick response and the previous comments.:tongue: I didn't see this thread that my post is now attached to, but I feel this is great.

I've used HKFlix as well... Started off with them when I first began using the net... Their site has improved tremendously, although lots of titles have since gone oop.

I simply want to branch out toward places that may offer competitive bargains/titles/offers at times, and still provide quality service.

:nerd:

Guest WuxiaFan
Hey everyone...

Forgive me if this subject has been raised, if not, I'd like to start a thread on various sites, and their reliability, when it comes to ordering. Please post answers, and any experiences, good or bad, from places where you've ordered Fu Flicks.

To kick it off:

I figure we can keep this going about the sites people here have used, as comments can be quite helpful for those not in-the-know.

Thanks in advance for any positive input.

:bigsmile:

Hey Dragon -

:smile: Thanks for resurrecting my thread! That's exactly what I wanted to do with this topic! I have compiled a list below of online retailers that are reputable and good:

HKFlix.com (USA) (by using the links from kungfucinema.com, that helps support the site!)

Yesasia.com (HK)

Shaw.intercontinental.com.hk (official site for IVL/Celestial Shaws - they have ALL Shaw DVDs released by IVL/Celestial)

DDDHouse.com (HK) (Celestial Shaws)

DVDAsian.com (USA) (Celestial Shaws)

Deepdiscount.com(USA)

Amazon.co.uk (UK)

Amazon.co.jp (Japan)

Amazon.com (USA)

Chaos.com (Australia) (HKL discs)

Sensasian.com (Malaysia)

Buyoyo.com (HK)

Play-Asia.com (HK)

Play.com (UK)

CDWOW.com (UK)

HMV.com (UK)

Pokerindustries.com (USA)

Bestbuy.com (USA)

BN.com (Barnes-Noble) (USA)

DVDPlanet.com (USA)

AnimEigo.com (USA) (they have good sales sometimes)

Fivestarlaser.com (Celestial Shaws)

Olivefilms.com(good selection of cult cinema)

Boulevardmovies.com(good selection of cult cinema)

Samuraidvd.com(Custom subbed Japanese DVDs - large selection, but pricey)

Fareastflix.com (USA)(They sell DVD-R's as "Custom DVDs". Use with caution. I bought Zatoichi 14 from them which was very good. But I also bought Lady Constables which sucked)

Sites not recommended::ooh:

Kungfumovies.net (USA)

Hongkong-store.com (UK) - I bought HKL DREADNAUGHT from them earlier this year and it was not new when I got it - it was not shrinkwrapped and there were scratches on the back of the disc. The DVD played fine, but I emailed them and described what I received and they refunded my credit card! So, use them with caution!

Dragon -

To answer your question about DDDHouse.com - IMO, I think they're VERY GOOD! They have a large catalog with a lot of SB and Fortune Star releases. They're prices are good as the USD is strong against the HKD. However, DDDHouse does not have free shipping, so you have to figure that into your total cost when comparing to other sites. Shipping from HK to USA typically takes a couple of weeks (for me that is). They have good communication. That is, you'll get an order confirmation email and an email when your order ships. Also, you can cancel all or part of your order via email as long as it has not shipped yet. For their products, they don't describe the discs as well as HKFlix does for example, so you have to know what your ordering. They package their DVDs very well. Only on a recent order did the actual DVD case come damaged. However, I would fault the type of DVD case it was, not DDDHouse. YES, I am a regular customer of DDDHouse!