I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

teako170

HONG KONG 2010 trip

Again Magicpoe, thank you! Sorry to hear that some of your footage is damaged, but I know the other guys will definitely send you there tapes to fill in what you're missing.

Very nice, well done. You all had a wonderful experience that many of us could not and we all appreciate you sharing with us. Thank you...

Yo Dragon, you could have been there if not for your BluRay addiction! LOL:tongue:

I just noticed we're neck and neck posts-wise. :smile:

Maybe next year the two of us will be along on some great trip with these other cats...

Ouch. Sorry about the video snafu, Brian. Monica is going to send me her footage and I'll edit it and post to YT. And glad to hear you and your wife made it back home safely. I just rolled in about an hour ago. Left 75* sunny (yes - the sun came out finally) Hong Kong for 20* snowy Jersey. Yup, nothing like driving in a snowstorm after a 16 hour flight.

Anywho... plenty of tales and pix to come (I only shot 960 photos). I started writing up our adventures on the plane but the battery was dying so it will be forthcoming this week. But for now, I got to get some sleep folks. Been up for 30+ hours so its been an exhausting day of travel. Below, a few pix to whet your appetite until I can get to my larger post.

Shaw Studios

hk1.jpg

Sir Run Run @ the Avenue of Stars (Kowloon)

hk2.jpg

Jesse practicing w/ Bey Logan and his Sifu (Star Ferry Pier 7/ HK Isle)

hk3.jpg

Monica paying homage to the late Chang Cheh

hk4.jpg

Actually the MTR took over the KCR network last year, you'd ben able to use stored value/Octopus cards on both networks for years, but its now one solid network...

Initially a little bit of confusion as certain stations underwent slight changes, Mongkok MTR station remained the same, while Mongkok KCR station is now Mongkok East

Still one of the cheapest and easiest transportation systems in the world to use

Glad to hear everyone made it home safely, I'm sure it was a trip that will change your lives forever, can't wait to hear/see what went on.

Teako I bet that 20 degrees felt more like -20:wink:

Brian you have one hell of a steady hand on that cam, my footage looks like I'm running up the beach dodging bullets alongside Tom Hanks:xd:

Very cool you got flowers and left pictures of them, a show of great respect.

I got in late last night. I will have to do some minor video editing to see what i have and will upload my photos. I don't think I took any of us at IFD Films,but I think Monica has that on video. BTW, thats in an industrial warehouse that does fish packing and other junk. IFD is on the 3rd Floor. Nothing like Shaw Studios. Ironically, the lady gave me a business card and they appear to have another address.

Anywho... plenty of tales and pix to come (I only shot 960 photos). Below, a few pix to whet your appetite until I can get to my larger post.

Teako- those pictures are out of sight! Awesome. :bigsmile:

I am the last of the group to make it back to my humble abode. The trip was AWESOME! I do have video of IFD Jesse...will upload during the week. Also have video of Jesse doing some tiger-crane kung fu!

Thank you to Big Mike and Bey for meeting with us while we were over there. I have to say that Shaw Brothers studios was the ultimate for me and we left a picture of Linn there too!

I am the last of the group to make it back to my humble abode. The trip was AWESOME! I do have video of IFD Jesse...will upload during the week. Also have video of Jesse doing some tiger-crane kung fu!

Thank you to Big Mike and Bey for meeting with us while we were over there. I have to say that Shaw Brothers studios was the ultimate for me and we left a picture of Linn there too!

Glad you all got home okay! I'm so happy for you guys that you had a cool trip.

Mon, the photo of you in front of Chang Cheh's memorial was very touching.

If you ever get the chance to visit HK, I suggest you forget the notion it’s a former British colony in which everyone speaks (some) English. If they do, they’re certainly not letting on to us Marco Polo types. It’s a good idea to have everything written in Chinese and even then it sometimes does you no good. In any event, herein lies our tale of adventure: the good, the bad and the ugly….

DAY ZERO

The nonstop flight from Newark to HK was about 16 hours. Flying coach is not the best way to go but it certainly could have been worse. Monica and I flew on Continental which might be one of the better carriers. Each seat had its own built in TV which provided us with a few hundred free movies, TV shows and more. Ashes of Time Redux, CTHD, Curse of the Golden Flower, Three Kingdoms and An Empress & the Warriors were just some of the selections.

We landed in HK around 8PM and found navigating the airport with relative ease despite the long line at the Immigration section. We opted for the easy way to the hotel with shuttle bus provided and got our first views of the city as we went from Lantau Isle to HK Island. We immediately realized this was no Chinatown as the landscape was squeezed for all its potential with high-rise buildings that dominated the skyline.

The bus ride took an hour plus as we had to make multiple pit stops for other travelers. Arriving at the HK Ramada near 11PM, we were both physically exhausted. I didn’t sleep on the plane and was glad to finally get to our destination. Had a nice suite on the 22nd floor overlooking the harbor and as I looked out over the city, I wondered what the next days would bring….

Click on pix for larger image

hk5a.jpg hk10a.jpg hk9a.jpg

Our flight to HK in progress ..................... Some street derelict at HK Ramada ..................... View from the 22nd floor

DAY ONE

Today was Monday and we met up with Brian, his wife and Big Mike Leeder in the lobby. Mike led the way as we meandered through the cluttered streets of Kennedy Town. While our hotel was rather Westernized, we were surely not in a touristy area of HK. Des Vouex Road was also known as Dried Seafood Street and is littered with countless stores peddling the same dried fish products. The smells were quite potent (and not in a good way). Asking Big Mike how much further, he responded "...just five more minutes." Needless to say time stands still on Dried Seafood Street because it seemed to go on forever.

We arrived at a small coffee shop and Big Mike took charge of the conversation giving us the "all you wanted to know about the HK film scene but was afraid to ask." Mike had some great tales of his last 20 years in HK and it was rather surreal listening to him talk about Sammo and Hwang Jang Lee as regular guys whereas we see them as something more. One of the funny tales he spoke of was a conversation with Jackie Chan in which Mike mentioned HJL’s name and Jackie was like "...you know him? He busted my teeth 25 years ago. Get him on the phone" in which Mike then proceeded to do so.

Mike was a library of info and frowned on all the misinformation out there due to a variety of things from name changes to people making things up because they don’t do proper research, etc. He mentioned how too many people claim rights to movies which they don’t have and that there’s vaults of unused footage and interviews waiting to be seen. The problem, he said, is that HK has never appreciated their own product and when companies put out these films, they don’t put any effort into knowing what they have and what other possibilities are available (extras, interviews, etc.).

hk6a.jpg hk11a.jpg hk12a.jpg

Hanging w/ Big Mike Leeder ...................... Streets of Kennedy Town, HK Isle ................ Monica taking notes on the MTR

Mike stayed with us for a few hours but then had to move on to a meeting, so we began our adventures. Our first stop was in Fanling in the New Territories. The MTR is great for getting around but since we were new to the city, we (or I should say I) learned the hard way about using the Octopus card. What happened was I scanned my card and entered the turnstile before the group yelled to me that I was getting onto the Airport line. I attempted to exit and when the turnstile wouldn’t let me back out, I just jumped over it – to the shock/laughter of a Chinese woman watching. You see, the Octopus card has to be scanned twice. Once to enter and once to exit. When you exit, it deducts the proper amount from the card depending on how far you traveled.

When we went downstairs to enter the correct train line, my card was now void (since I didn’t exit properly it still registered that I was inside the train system). Long story short .. my $100HK was completely erased and I had to purchase more funds (ugh!!)

So off to Fanling we go and after a few train line changes, we arrived at our stop. Monica had the pleasure of witnessing her first traditional Chinese bathroom (a hole in the ground) at the MTR stop. While some places do have toilets, it’s good to always bring toilet paper with you wherever you might travel. After a quick lunch at a shop which had all sorts of hanging cooked ducks in the window (heads still attached), we exited the station and proceeded to Fung Ying Seen Koon temple. As magicpoe mentioned, FYSK is right outside the station and hard to miss. A fairly large temple with multiple levels and buildings, it was a chilling moment when we came across Fu Sheng’s final resting place.

For those of you near HK or planning a trip there, here is the following directions on how to get there:

Fung Ying Seen Koon Temple

66, Pak Wo Road

Fanling, New Territories, HK

852-2669-9186

852-2669-8777 (fax)

www.fysk.org

info@fysk.org

hk7a.jpg hk8a.jpg hk13a.jpg

Fung Ying Seen Koon Temple ...................... Alexander the Great Fu Sheng ................. Wing Fuk Hall (note incinerator on right)

As mentioned the temple is easy to find once you exit the station. You have to go under the street via a tunnel and its right there. Fu Sheng’s ashes are housed at C6 - Wing Fuk Hall, which is towards the back of the FYSK. His photo is much larger (takes up four spots) and is easy to spot.

Back on the train we go and head towards to the Tseung Kwan O station to pay our respects to Chang Cheh. Not sure what it is but the folks on the MTR are constantly in a rush. Rushing to and from trains like it was a race. Plus, they don’t let people exit from the train before boarding. Its like every man/woman/child for themselves. At 6 feet, I towered over most but that didn’t matter. Heck, I got nearly knocked over by a 80-year-old granny!

When we got to the TKO station we ran into another headache. I forgot to bring the name of CC’s cemetery (in Chinese!) After 15 minutes of getting nowhere at the MTR service desk, we finally gave up and decided to call it a day. Jet lag was sinking in and without proper food, I was getting a bit irritable (sorry guys) so we headed back to our hotel. That evening, Monica and I went over to the Wan Chai area (much more upscale than where our hotel is) and had dinner at Outback. The cabbie didn’t know where he was going and had to ask directions (wtf?) and when we got there, we still didn’t find it and had to ask directions ourselves. Apparently, everything in HK is up. I know people might wonder why not check out the local fare instead of a steakhouse but after eating greasy duck for lunch (with some rather hard portions mixed in), I’m thinking I'll play it safe from here on out.

I'll continue with the second part of this three-part post tomorrow....

Teako, reading your "journal" has made this a virtual experience. Thank you for the directions, and the map and the images. They are fantastic. Thanks for going to the Temple, it is a beautiful place, and your good words of Fu Sheng. CC's seems much larger, I mean the facility.

Looking forward to reading more.

To Monica Haynes " I have to say that Shaw Brothers studios was the ultimate for me and we left a picture of Linn there too!"

That is a wonderful and beautiful thing, I am so happy you were able to go and do that.