I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
teako170

JSA: Joint Security Area (2000)

Haven't really ventured into this part of the forum as my Korean-made films knowledge is limited however...

it was Park's trilogy which got me interested in the following film.

I've read that (at the time of its release in 2001) it had become the highest grossing film in Korean film history --

and it certainly merits some discussion. So, any fans of this Park flick?

What I always loved about Park is his films make me rush over to IMDb to figure out exactly what had transpired (JSA included).

What made JSA truly stand out is the way he closed this film as it morphed from a live action image to the still photograph of the four friends.

That shot alone must have evoked incredible emotions from the Korean people who have been divided since the 50s.

Now, THAT is powerful cinema folks.

jsaend.jpg

Definitely agree with you teako. JSA was actually one of the first Korean films I've ever seen and it was such a powerful film, not only because of its political theme, but the trio of Song Kang-Ho, Lee Byeon-Hyun, and Lee Young-Ae gave some of their best performances to date, even before Song and Lee went on to re-team with Park for two installments of his Vengeance trilogy.

I've always thought this was one of the finest closing shots I've ever seen. I'm not ashamed to admit it brought tears to my eyes. It's powerful for non-Koreans as well. He is an absolutely great director.

An incredibly thought provoking film dealing with the seperation of North and South Korea. One of my favorites, with a great cast giving excellent performances. If you liked JSA, I would recommend that you take a look at Silmido.

This film is airing on free to air tv over here early on Tuesday mornng. Judging from the positive feedback I may have to watch or tape it.