One Armed Boxer

Top 5 Best Korean Movies?

Yeah I'm surprised Public Enemy hasn't come up more often...to me it was a classic.

The Chaser has a very similar feeling to Public Enemy in its down trodden cop (or ex-cop turned pimp in the case of the Chaser...) versus a more intelligent nemesis theme.

Has anyone seen 'Into the Mirror'? I've got it laying around somewhere still unwatched and noticed a Hollywood remake has just come out called 'Mirrors' starring Kiefer Sutherland.

The Foul King (honestly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen)

My Wife is a Gangster

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring

My Sassy Girl

Memories of Murder

Oldboy

Nowhere to hide

Spring, summer, autumn, winter and spring

A bittersweet life

City of violence

You're right, I completely forgot about SPRING, SUMMER, AUTUMN, WINTER and SPRING! I love that movie

I'm updating my list now. :)

Yeah I love the movie aswell, such a breath of fresh air. I was lucky enough to see it in the cinema too.

I have yet to see any more Kim Ki Duk films, anyone got any recommendations? I've heard 3 Iron is good.

I totally forgot about The Good the Bad and the Weird in this list! Doh! That replaces City of Violence in my list.

Yeah I love the movie aswell, such a breath of fresh air. I was lucky enough to see it in the cinema too.

I have yet to see any more Kim Ki Duk films, anyone got any recommendations? I've heard 3 Iron is good.

If you liked Spring, Summer... then 3 Iron is probably another good one to watch, you could also try The Bow, both of those are also heavy on the allegory and with minimal dialogue. All his films are worth a watch of course.

Another Korean film you might like is the 1989 film Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East? which undoubtedly influenced Spring, Summer. There is a R1 DVD, but I think it may be out of print.

Guest Yi-Long

I totally forgot about The Good the Bad and the Weird in this list! Doh! That replaces City of Violence in my list.

3-Iron (Bin-Jip) was pretty good. Personally, I liked it very much when I watched it for the first time.

The Bow is nice as well, although it seems more like a 'short', instead of a normal lenght movie. It's not a movie that 'wowed' me or anything, but it was an interesting watch. Can't say I loved it or anything.

I also really liked Samaritan Girl. Definately worth a watch.

Off the top of my head my top 5 are (in no particular order):

Arahan

Wife is a ganster (series)

Bittersweet Life

Bloody Ties

Ganster High

Also notable mentions to:

Conduct Zero

Spin Kick

Mr Kims

Which are all great fun.

There are way too many good Korean films to name just five. A few that I didn't notice mentioned yet, but are well worth watching are:-

Save The Green Planet

Welcome To Dongmakol

All of the other films I would recommend have already got a mention.

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter And Spring

Il Mare

The Good, The Bad And The Weird

2009, Lost Memories

Public Enemy

which means there is no room unfortunately for Pisces, Ghost, She's On Duty, Epitaph, 3 Iron, Spin Kick, Say Yes, Bunshinsaba, Femme Fatale, Shiri and all the many other classics.