I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

venoms5

What are your latest DVD/Blu-ray purchases?

On 7/14/2019 at 4:46 PM, lilmanjs said:

I haven't seen Gone in 60 Seconds since I was a kid, so this will be a treat. Simon Yam was better than I expected in Hitman too.

Yup! Saw "Gone in 60 Seconds" here recently on TV and its now my favorite Nicolas Cage film.

4 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Yup! Saw "Gone in 60 Seconds" here recently on TV and its now my favorite Nicolas Cage film.

The original is better 

39 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

@kingofkungfu2002 Can you confirm this is a good release?

Haven't watched it all the way through, just a quick check. Picture is a massive upgrade on the DD bluray (it's the same print as the Japanese bluray). There's no original mono track & the subs aren't always the best, so it depends on how fussy you are I guess. 
Here's some screenshots...

hb2.jpg

hb3.jpg

hb4.jpg

hb5.jpg

hb6.jpg

hb.jpg

On 7/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, JackieChan said:

The original is better 

I did not know that there was another one. I will have to watch it. 

14 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I did not know that there was another one. I will have to watch it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_in_60_Seconds_(1974_film)

2 Interesting bits of information: 

With the exception of a few cast extras, the bulk of the bystanders in the movie are the general public going about their business. This caused several incidents wherein people assumed a real police pursuit was in progress, with many trying to help the accident "victims". For example in the scene at the Carson Street off-ramp, where the two cars collide after Maindrian drives against traffic, a pedestrian can be seen in the background shouting angrily at the passing police cars for not stopping to help the occupants. Much of the crowd at the gas station, where Harold Smith is pulled over after the nighttime Torrance chase, were part of a real biker gang who verbally abused the police officers "arresting" the actor and demanded they leave him alone.

A sequel/reboot Gone in 60 Seconds 2 was being made in 1989. H. B. "Toby" Halicki  was the writer/director. Halicki had married Denice Shakarian in 1989 shortly before he began filming the reboot, in which both of them would star. Halicki bought over 400 automobiles to destroy in the film, which was to feature improved car chases and storyline.

On August 20, 1989, while filming in Buffalo, New York, Halicki was preparing for the most dramatic stunt sequence in the film, during which a 160 ft tall water tower was supposed to topple to the ground. When a cable attached to the tower snapped unexpectedly, it sheared off a telephone pole, which fell on Halicki, killing him instantly. 

21 hours ago, JackieChan said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_in_60_Seconds_(1974_film)

2 Interesting bits of information: 

With the exception of a few cast extras, the bulk of the bystanders in the movie are the general public going about their business. This caused several incidents wherein people assumed a real police pursuit was in progress, with many trying to help the accident "victims". For example in the scene at the Carson Street off-ramp, where the two cars collide after Maindrian drives against traffic, a pedestrian can be seen in the background shouting angrily at the passing police cars for not stopping to help the occupants. Much of the crowd at the gas station, where Harold Smith is pulled over after the nighttime Torrance chase, were part of a real biker gang who verbally abused the police officers "arresting" the actor and demanded they leave him alone.

A sequel/reboot Gone in 60 Seconds 2 was being made in 1989. H. B. "Toby" Halicki  was the writer/director. Halicki had married Denice Shakarian in 1989 shortly before he began filming the reboot, in which both of them would star. Halicki bought over 400 automobiles to destroy in the film, which was to feature improved car chases and storyline.

On August 20, 1989, while filming in Buffalo, New York, Halicki was preparing for the most dramatic stunt sequence in the film, during which a 160 ft tall water tower was supposed to topple to the ground. When a cable attached to the tower snapped unexpectedly, it sheared off a telephone pole, which fell on Halicki, killing him instantly. 

Trailer looks really good! Thanks for showing it to me! 

How in the world did they get away with that? Wasn't there any laws regulating film making? Sounds like people could of got hurt. 

Damn, that sucks. Sounds similar to what happened to Vic Morrow, when the helicopter crashed into him and the kids. 

A blu ray from the Korean Film Archive, Ieoh Island (1977) and the recent German dual format release of Enter the Fat Dragon

IMG_2085.jpg

Edited by De Ming Li

On 7/17/2019 at 11:59 PM, DarthKato said:

Trailer looks really good! Thanks for showing it to me! 

How in the world did they get away with that? Wasn't there any laws regulating film making? Sounds like people could of got hurt. 

Damn, that sucks. Sounds similar to what happened to Vic Morrow, when the helicopter crashed into him and the kids. 

There were indeed laws regulating filming, but they were not followed. I guess budget reasons & that it was unlikely that they would have been granted permits, they filmed without permission.

The Vic Morrow deaths were caused because safety regulations weren't being followed. The helicopter was flying way too low, the children were on set past a time that they should have been & they were also involved in a dangerous scene that had explosives been set off. If anything good came out of this, I know that movie set safety rules, especially for children, are a lot more stringent.

10 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

A blu ray from the Korean Film Archive, Ieoh Island (1977) and the recent German dual format release of Enter the Fat Dragon

Germany gets some really nice releases.

16 hours ago, JackieChan said:

There were indeed laws regulating filming, but they were not followed. I guess budget reasons & that it was unlikely that they would have been granted permits, they filmed without permission.

The Vic Morrow deaths were caused because safety regulations weren't being followed. The helicopter was flying way too low, the children were on set past a time that they should have been & they were also involved in a dangerous scene that had explosives been set off. If anything good came out of this, I know that movie set safety rules, especially for children, are a lot more stringent.

Damn, that is really irresponsible. But like you said, it good that people are on their butts now to make sure everything is safe. 

On 7/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, De Ming Li said:

Two blu rays from Hong Kong Rescue, Drunken Master 2 is their updated version

IMG_2070.jpg

These look awesome! Do you know if they're region free? (Hoping they'll playback ok in a UK Playstation3)

3 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

These look awesome! Do you know if they're region free? (Hoping they'll playback ok in a UK Playstation3)

Hi LiuYiLong, those are region free

jag1.jpg

The Creature Called Man (1970). Kiyoshi Nismimura's heroic bloodhed thriller about an honorable professional killer who falls in love with a woman while being chased by a tough detective. And that's not where the John Woo similarities end.

jag2.jpg

I wasn't planning to pick up the New Battles set, but it was only $21.99 + shipping at Amazon, and I still own part 3 on DVD. I can probably get the equivalent of $10 when I sell that DVD.

26 minutes ago, Takuma said:

jag2.jpg

I wasn't planning to pick up the New Battles set, but it was only $21.99 + shipping at Amazon, and I still own part 3 on DVD. I can probably get the equivalent of $10 when I sell that DVD.

I have The Yakuza Papers set, might pick this set up at some time.  Amazon.uk are charging $75 + shipping though.