I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

venoms5

What are your latest DVD/Blu-ray purchases?

16 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

As someone whos followed each season from the start, before NetFlix even jumped on it, I'd have to agree. Yet to see this season, but I feel they are trying to cram in too many stories/characters. The focus was on a small band of characters, at the start, now the focus is spread over multipe groups, each with their own agenda.

With any show/series, there comes a time when its run its course, but if the ratings are still coming in. They will extend/prolong it for as long as they can.

I lost interest in The Walking Dead after three seasons, and its still going strong, but how good can the latest show be?.

Vikings 3 was very good and season 4 lot weaker. Adding more episodes to season was not improvement, just opposite. Probably going to sit year or so waiting price of season 5 comes down lot. Not expecting it to be any good and

Spoiler

was mistake to kill ragnar in season 4 although expected characters grow up in years so quickly was quite easy to see younger generation steps in.

I liked walking dead season 7 lot and what seen of ssn 8 it has same quality. Serie was becoming boring but Negan really boosted it up again. Even better character than Governor who already was very cool.

I recently went to Amoeba Music and picked up a few movies.

I got the Eureka Blu-ray of Drunken Master which was $25. I haven't watched the entire Blu-ray yet, but just skimming through, it looks outstanding. And I also listened to the scenes that I hadn't heard in its original Cantonese before, which was really neat.

IMG-1314.jpg

I also bought two LaserDiscs. First was a Japanese LaserDisc for Hard Boiled, which didn't have its original cover or English subtitles. But it was $1, so why not? I thought it'd make a cool collector's item. The LaserDisc is letterboxed, in Cantonese with Japanese subtitles. I guess the previous owner of this LaserDisc loves the movie, so on the back cover in small writing, it says "So fine." 😎

IMG-1316.jpg

IMG-1320.jpg

IMG-1325.jpg

Lastly, I found The Tale of Zatoichi on LaserDisc, the first Zatoichi film. This LaserDisc is letterboxed with no subtitles.

IMG-1321.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, KenHashibe said:

I also bought two LaserDiscs.

I'm here to make it two posts in a row mentioning recently purchase retro formats. I think we might count as two of the younger members as well.

I was pretty excited to get a still in the shrink wrap VHS tape of Encounter of the Spooky Kind II under the title 'Spooky Encounters'. It must have been in the shrink wrap for 23 years, since 1995. I don't think I've personally seen a VHS that was still in the shrink wrap for about a decade.

DSC_7457.JPG

DSC_7465.JPG

It looks like as though they were going to release it as 'Encounter of the Spooky Kind 2' but didn't in the end: 

DSC_7490.JPG

I’m so annoyed right now! For the longest time I’ve wanted to see Encounters of the Spooky Kind II and now I come to find I had it on VHS for years.

I always thought Spooky Encounters was the first film. Balls.

10 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’m so annoyed right now! For the longest time I’ve wanted to see Encounters of the Spooky Kind II and now I come to find I had it on VHS for years.

Wait...Spooky Encounters is the 2nd one? 

6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

6 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Wait...Spooky Encounters is the 2nd one? 

Well Spooky Encounters is the first one, but unfortunately Eastern Heroes released the sequel on VHS under the same name. My guess is they did it for their idea of marketing. As far as I'm aware a part from the EH release every other version of Spooky Encounters is the first one.

On a side note when I said 'they' in my original post, I was referring to Eastern Heroes:

6 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

It looks like as though they were going to release it as 'Encounter of the Spooky Kind 2' but didn't in the end: 

18 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I'm here to make it two posts in a row mentioning recently purchase retro formats. I think we might count as two of the younger members as well.

I was pretty excited to get a still in the shrink wrap VHS tape of Encounter of the Spooky Kind II under the title 'Spooky Encounters'. It must have been in the shrink wrap for 23 years, since 1995. I don't think I've personally seen a VHS that was still in the shrink wrap for about a decade.

I've always been fond of VHS's, mainly because they bring back nostalgic memories of watching them as a kid. There are certain movies that I prefer on VHS just to recreate that nostalgic feeling (i.e. Singin' in the Rain which I watched all the time as a kid). Plus, most people don't want their old VHS's anymore, so they're super cheap! Same goes for LaserDiscs unless they're rare.

Anyway, that's a really cool find (albeit the confusing title)! I actually own very few kung fu/HK movies on VHS. They're a bit harder to find for me. I think the only shrink-wrapped VHS I had was Twin Dragons (the old English dub before Miramax got the rights to it). And of course, it's not shrink-wrapped anymore since I wanted to watch it. 😁 It's cool that we both have a fascination with retro media despite being some of the younger members.

The library had another seasonal sale, so I managed to get 3 Hong Kong movies on dvd today. They had quite a lot of universe dvd releases, but most were junky movies or just movies I already own on better releases. Picked up The Prodigal Son, A Man Called Hero: Special Cut and the Stephen Chow movie King of Comedy. Figured I didn't do too bad!

6 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

I've always been fond of VHS's, mainly because they bring back nostalgic memories of watching them as a kid. There are certain movies that I prefer on VHS just to recreate that nostalgic feeling (i.e. Singin' in the Rain which I watched all the time as a kid).

I also think nostalgia is part of it for me, but sometimes it's actually more convenient if it's the only copy I own, and sometimes the most convenient version when buying. I doubt most people consider VHS convenient these days lol. 

I think it is also special to watch something on the very video I first watched it on as a kid. 

Plus, most people don't want their old VHS's anymore, so they're super cheap! Same goes for LaserDiscs unless they're rare.

Yes, a lot of them are cheap but I think from what I've seen old used DVDs are the cheapest format for the most part at the moment. Though for Encounter of the Spooky Kind II the VHS was the cheapest version I came across.

It's cool that we both have a fascination with retro media despite being some of the younger members.

Well I feel like each format has it's own "characteristics" as well as having it's own "ritual" for setting it up.

On 10/26/2018 at 8:25 PM, De Ming Li said:

The new Hong Kong blu ray of Drunker Master II arrived today

IMG_1847.jpg

Got mine on Thursday. Quick postage. Where'd you order yours from? 

Also got word that my Project A set has shipped. 

I went to a book sale at my local library and picked up some more movies. 21 movies for about $14.

The Bad Sleep Well (1960) Criterion DVD

Fist of the North Star (1986) Bootleg Chinese DVD that has an English dub and original Japanese w/ Chinese subtitles

The Infernal Affairs Trilogy (2002-2003) Mega Star DVD's

Studio Ghibli Collection (1979-2002) Bootleg Chinese DVD box set which includes Castle in the Sky, Castle of Cagliostro, The Cat Returns, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Ocean WavesPom Poko, Porco RossoPrincess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. I haven't checked every disc but most have Cantonese, Japanese, and English dub options w/ English subtitles

Rocky (1976) MGM LaserDisc (I think it's pan & scan but I haven't checked)

The Godfather Trilogy 1901-1980 (1972-1990) which I believe includes all three movies, which takes up six discs 😁

20 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I also think nostalgia is part of it for me, but sometimes it's actually more convenient if it's the only copy I own, and sometimes the most convenient version when buying. I doubt most people consider VHS convenient these days lol. 

I think it is also special to watch something on the very video I first watched it on as a kid. 

Yes, a lot of them are cheap but I think from what I've seen old used DVDs are the cheapest format for the most part at the moment. Though for Encounter of the Spooky Kind II the VHS was the cheapest version I came across.

Well I feel like each format has it's own "characteristics" as well as having it's own "ritual" for setting it up.

You're right, convenience is a big part too. For me, I find that old used DVD's can still cost a bit (depending on the title and availability of course), but VHS still takes the cake for me for price. I don't think I've spent more than a dollar for a VHS before (except for a couple rare titles, but even then, it was $5).

13 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

@KenHashibe & @Silver and Gold Dragon you guy's might enjoy this YouTube series.

Thanks @DragonClaws, I'll take a look at it when I find the time. 

Bought these on release day - bth were pre-order for store pickup.

Target Exclusive: 4K UHD + BD + Digital copy + Gallery book

Best Buy Exclusive: Steelbook + 4K UHD + BD + Digital.

When I went to pick up the Best Buy order, there were people there who were looking for the steelbook but they were already sold out - that was about 5 am in the morning (I was on my way to work), that Best Buy is open 24 hours. 

1zb46e9.jpg

9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

51Qx5AwcSGL.jpg

HOLLOW POINT is a great movie. It's another one of those movies that flew under the radar and didn't get much fanfare but it had a great cast and a great story.

Edited by Shaolivevil