venoms5

What are your latest DVD/Blu-ray purchases?

Had some money on a Walmart gift card so I found these western collections together cheap. I really just wanted the Django one but I'll take em both.

Bowie I used to have so it means more now to get it back of course.

True Romance because I know it's a good movie.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That Django set includes movies called Pistol for Django and Return of Django... Somehow, these titles do ring a bell, but last time I checked it wasn't Django but someone else called Ringo that was involved - these movies star Giuliano Gemma, who also appear in one of the fims from the 20-movie pack apparently. Anyway, if it turns out to be those you can at least enjoy the pretty sweet Ennio Morricone soundtrack. :cool 

6 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

I checked it wasn't Django but someone else called Ringo that was involved - these movies star Giuliano Gemma

Yup, you're right Secret. GG's characters were called Ringo. 

The Delightful Forest and All Men are Brothers blu rays, because I had to buy school supples and you know what they say about all work and no play.  Replaced TDF after watching the opening fight last night and having my head utterly kicked in. Great stuff. 

On 1/16/2016 at 11:05 PM, LamLok said:

I was very happy to get Hana-bi on blu-ray. Kikujiro next!

IMAG0307.jpg

Hana-bi and Kikujiro are on blu-ray? Those are must buys for me!

@masterofoneinchpunch: Amour is a great movie, by far my favorite of 2012 and one of my favorites of this decade. Dark and not uplifting at all, but the performances and the story grab you and won't let go until the end. I also like the lack of a score, it makes the movie more authentic and in your face.

8 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

@masterofoneinchpunch: Amour is a great movie, by far my favorite of 2012 and one of my favorites of this decade. Dark and not uplifting at all, but the performances and the story grab you and won't let go until the end. I also like the lack of a score, it makes the movie more authentic and in your face.

It's definitely one I want to watch sooner or later.  It is on my must watch films for this year.  Surprisingly enough (for me) I have never seen a Michael Haneke film (though I own a few).  I saw 102 2012 films so far with The Avengers as my number 1 pick and A Simple Life (HK) as number 2. 

22 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

It's definitely one I want to watch sooner or later.  It is on my must watch films for this year.  Surprisingly enough (for me) I have never seen a Michael Haneke film (though I own a few).  I saw 102 2012 films so far with The Avengers as my number 1 pick and A Simple Life (HK) as number 2. 

Some great picks in that list. A simple Life, Django unchained and Dark Knight rises are some movies that stood out for me that year - I also liked Amazing Spider-Man, was some decent fun. There are some movies in your list that I've been considering watching or have on DVD but haven't seen - The Master and The Hobbit are two notable titles, but I'm also considering checking out Moonrise Kingdom as everyone seemed to freak out at how great it was when it came out (didn't see it at the time and still haven't seen it actually). That year also had a lot of very overrated stuff - Intouchables is a typical "opposite having to work together" story (it seems every comedy is based on this plot-device these days), Ted was annoying as hell (a living teddy bear being vulgar ? A Family Guy cutaway parodying Toy Story would have been enough, Seth), Hunger Games is a way overpraised franchise (I prefer Maze Runner, though it's not that great overall), Silver lining Playbooks is another rom-com with lunatics (what's the appeal ? And how is this Oscar-worthy ?!)... 

Forgot to mention, but Searching for Sugar Man (which appears quite high on your list) is also a great film from 2012 (probably my 3rd favorite of the year after Amour and A simple Life) - the "story" (if we may call it that) is very interesting and sometimes seems too great to be true (in the late 1990s, people from South Africa manage to track an American musician who made a couple of albums in the early 1970s - eventually quitting due to a lack of success in America - and convinced someone who was now an average Joe to come and perform concerts in South Africa where he was a huge sensation), you learn a lot of interesting stuff and the music is just awesome. One I'd highly recommend to music fans.

26 minutes ago, Secret Executioner said:

Some great picks in that list. A simple Life, Django unchained and Dark Knight rises are some movies that stood out for me that year - I also liked Amazing Spider-Man, was some decent fun. There are some movies in your list that I've been considering watching or have on DVD but haven't seen - The Master and The Hobbit are two notable titles, but I'm also considering checking out Moonrise Kingdom as everyone seemed to freak out at how great it was when it came out (didn't see it at the time and still haven't seen it actually). That year also had a lot of very overrated stuff - Intouchables is a typical "opposite having to work together" story (it seems every comedy is based on this plot-device these days), Ted was annoying as hell (a living teddy bear being vulgar ? A Family Guy cutaway parodying Toy Story would have been enough, Seth), Hunger Games is a way overpraised franchise (I prefer Maze Runner, though it's not that great overall), Silver lining Playbooks is another rom-com with lunatics (what's the appeal ? And how is this Oscar-worthy ?!)... 

For Moonrise Kingdom it really all depends on what you think of Wes Anderson as a director.  Those who tend to like him usually like the movie.  It also depends on how much you like/dislike quirky characters which are prevalent in all of Anderson's films.  I really like him as a director as he creates his own little/big worlds, but I know several who do not.  I have seen all of his directed films.

Now I actually like Silver Linings Playbook.  But then I could identify with the characters and the main relationship.  Plus what a performance from Robert De Niro, had not seen that in a while.  Of course I have more with my review.  This has me thinking about David O. Russell films.   I like this movie more than American Hustle and a little bit more than The Fighter.

The more I think about it, the more I like Seven Psychopaths.  McDonagh's second film after the brilliant In Bruges. Searching for Sugar Man was quite a good documentary, not quite up there with Jiro Dreams of Sushi (though like many documentaries both take liberties with the truth), but I was lucky and got to see it in the theater -- I was the only one.  I love it when that happens when the whole theater is to yourself.  But I agree that fans of music should definitely see that movie.

Ted I have at 72.

I'll say it again: every year I find films that I enjoy.

I don't think I've seen anything by Wes Anderson, but by the reviews and what you're saying he looks like an interesting director.

I haven't seen Seven Psychopaths, nor do I have heard of it (unless I don't remember) - guess I could try and track this down.

39 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I'll say it again: every year I find films that I enjoy.

I put a lot of negativity in my responses on the 2012 movies, but there was definitely stuff I enjoyed, so I see your point here. :cool 

Just now, Secret Executioner said:

I don't think I've seen anything by Wes Anderson, but by the reviews and what you're saying he looks like an interesting director.

I haven't seen Seven Psychopaths, nor do I have heard of it (unless I don't remember) - guess I could try and track this down.

I put a lot of negativity in my responses on the 2012 movies, but there was definitely stuff I enjoyed, so I see your point here. :cool 

Well Moonrise Kingdom is a fine place to start though I would probably go with The Royal Tenenbaums as the ideal first watch (there is one school of thought that you start from the beginning with a director, but while I like Bottle Rocket quite a lot I do not subscribe to that theory nor do most of us have time, plus often you do not get the mature works of an auteur).

Seven Psychopaths flew a little under-the-radar.  If you have seen In Bruges then you know what you are getting into.  If not, think a little more violent Guy Ritchie (Snatch days) with sardonic humor (more Irish though the director was born in England) and with this film a great supporting performance from Christopher Walken.  Looking over the trailers I would actually avoid them.

I'll tell what I want to rewatch out of that bunch soon if I can (The Avengers I have seen 4 times, The Hobbit 3 times so they are out): Seven Psychopaths, Get the Gringo, Chronicle, Silver Linings Playbook, The Grey.

On 1/19/2016 at 2:39 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Seven Psychopaths flew a little under-the-radar.  If you have seen In Bruges then you know what you are getting into.  If not, think a little more violent Guy Ritchie (Snatch days) with sardonic humor (more Irish though the director was born in England) and with this film a great supporting performance from Christopher Walken. 

That pretty much sums it up. From what little I remember, this was fun.

Spooky Encounters blu ray. I forget if I saw this during my Asian horror comedy initiation weekend (Mr. Vampire and that) 16 years ago. Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to it (and seeing Dick Wei in something this silly.) I foresee double feature with Hex After Hex...:coveredlaugh)

l_p0023282498.jpg

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

14 hours ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Spooky Encounters blu ray. I forget if I saw this during my Asian horror comedy initiation weekend (Mr. Vampire and that) 16 years ago. Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to it (and seeing Dick Wei in something this silly.) I foresee double feature with Hex After Hex...:coveredlaugh)

Great film (hmmm I wonder what the link is to).  Honestly though I do wonder how many of those I will upgrade to BD (though if ever found them offline I sure I would purchase them; damn movies in my site).  But I do need to get Hex After Hex.  Funny that you remember that combo 16 years ago (reminds me that I need to remember where I parked my car). I got both of those two first as Fortune Star R1 releases (still have them.)

I'll refrain from reading your review until after I've seen it - I want to go into Spooky... as fresh as possible. Poop! Dick Wei is not in it... :crying (Should have checked Hong Kong Movie Database before typing that in my purchase post, but then I had a list of Wei's Shaws cameos going as he was still under contract with Shaws at the time this was made. 

No matter, this'll be quite fun/funny...

Lady Assassin (1983), Kung Fu Instructor (1979) all region Thai dvd, Three Kingdoms Resurrection of the Dragon (2008)

Lady Assassin (1983) looks like all kinds of insane 80s Shaws fun. Pai Piao, Anthony Lau Wing and Sun Chien in one film, why hello there. 

Kung Fu Instructor (1979) I've grown to really enjoy and I want a version I can watch on anything (not just a computer.) This particular Thai Shaws release is all region. 

I became fascinated with Guan Yu a few years ago, so I rented Three Kingdoms... on iTunes. I don't remember it.  (Error in my earlier Shaws iTunes post, I haven't purchased all of Ti Lung's films there yet. Just David Chiang's.)  Now that I know and dig Ti, I am making up for this.   Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing a rather recent performance from Ti as a personage who truly fascinates me.  

Lady Assassin.jpg

Kung Fu Instructor Thai.jpg

I see your point Guan Yu.jpg

On 1/12/2016 at 9:01 PM, Secret Executioner said:

I'd rather say lol at the poorly-hidden tattoo. :tongueout 

i saw an interview once where albert pyun talks about this movie and how marvel would not let him alter the costume so they used fake ears lol.

Edited by lungfei

On January 13, 2016 at 0:42 AM, bruceleewannabe said:

Movies on the western set

image.jpg

Okay, this one is full of films I haven't seen (none on disc two and several on the others. It looks like a mix of classic westerns with a few spaghetti westerns.)

Blindman is all kinds of fun, a spaghetti western Zatoichi. 

Ack! Tedeum ! The good news? Ben and Charlie is on that same disc:tongueout

Have fun @bruceleewannabe

Finally got around to upgrading my Godzilla, pleasant little pop up surprise there.

I watched through criterion's Zatoichi but it was my friends and he moved back to Atlanta so... I guess I'll have to watch through again.

2016-01-26 18.41.39.jpg

2016-01-26 18.42.39.jpg