Guest da mischievous wingding

Roll Call: Please post your info (new & old members)

16 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

Greetings All, Nei Hou!

I've been popping in and out of various sections on the site ( sound chamber mostly) and into the forums for a while now, and absolutely love it here, I only just got around to registering today to be able to post to the forums.

I was born and am still mostly based in Scotland and have been collecting since around 1988(ish), back then it was mostly all Made In Hong Kong/ Eastern Heroes VHS tapes from HMV and Virgin ( with the odd occasional Bootleg Shaw's tape purchased from Flash Legs Kung Fu in Clapham Common)

At my largest point of collecting/hoarding I had around 300-400 titles spread over DVD and VHS - but sold everything off when I moved to the States ( LA and NJ mostly) between 2006-2012.

Back in the UK again since then and have been slowly building up my collection again over the past year or so. Definitely still mostly a Shaw Brothers fan and been using DDD House and eBay for Mail order and Fopp for 88films Blu Rays. I was also able to pick up a pretty sizable chunk of DVD's earlier this year when I visited Hong Kong for the first time, really I was there just to get married ( my screen name here is my married name). but was also able to visit the Shaw's Studio and the incredible Bruce Lee exhibition whilst in the city, so have a pretty good sense of where is good to track down new and second hand DVD's if anybody is visiting and wants a few pointers on where to start looking for titles -

My wife is Chinese, from Canton province, so I'm really using the films now more than anything else to help me learn Cantonese (and I guess also to relive my youth :)

Really happy to be able to be part of what is a truly incredible resource of information and seems like a really great meeting place for like minded fans!

A big welcome to the forum and congratulations for your wedding.

It's nice to have another Shaws' fan here and how lucky you are to have been able to go there and find some dvds...!!

Thank you for the warm welcome @ShawAngela  and @Burnout29 🙏

Hong Kong was absolutely incredible! Easily my favorite of all the limited parts of China I've seen so far ( only visited HK, Shenzen, and Shanghai)

And @Burnout29 I've hardly explored the UK much tbh! and still feel like I've only scratched the surface of the countries I'd love to visit, I have been very lucky to see quite a few amazing places though.

Thailand and Hong Kong both are both easy to recommend highly and quite cost effective to travel to if you don't mind going at weird times of the year, (Thailand especially)

1 hour ago, HKMDB_Harlock said:

Hello, i'm new to the forum and sorry english is not my first language. glad to see  a kungfu and asian movies forum stil going on these days !! 

Cheers

Jean

Welcome @HKMDB_Harlock Jean! 😀 Don't worry about your English- lots of members here are from all around the world.

Where do you hail from (I'm in Pennsylvania, USA), if you don't mind answering?

2 hours ago, HKMDB_Harlock said:

Hello, i'm new to the forum and sorry english is not my first language. glad to see  a kungfu and asian movies forum stil going on these days !! 

Cheers

Jean

Welcome to Kung Fu Fandom! Very good to have another fan of the genre here. 

26 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Welcome @HKMDB_Harlock Jean! 😀 Don't worry about your English- lots of members here are from all around the world.

Where do you hail from (I'm in Pennsylvania, USA), if you don't mind answering?

Thank you very much, i'm from Quebec, Canada. a hellhole if you ask me lol 😄 

On 5/19/2019 at 12:55 AM, Burnout29 said:

Thank you for the welcome Drunken Monk, Silver and Gold Dragon and Asmo.

Asmo, Yakuza will be the only reason I eventually get a PS4 lol.  Probably gonna have to be very soon, it's been irking me missing out on the two latest games.  That first games' story was epic.  The Miike movie based on it, not so much.

No doubt. A PS4 is a good investment given the amount of good titles on it. 

Never actually saw the Miike film, but heard that it deviated a bit from the game's storyline?

13 hours ago, HKMDB_Harlock said:

Cheers

Jean

Welcome aboard from France, ami québécois. By your nickname, I thought you were from the staff of the HKMDB website.  :bs_coveredlaugh:

Welcome to the forum. By your first name, I thought that you were from France...

Hey, @Secret Executioner, I didn't know that you were also from France, or maybe I forgot it...

Jean, there is at least another Canadian member here @bigrogie, and don't worry, sometimes, my English can be awful  ! For instance, I realized that I wrote "raper" instead of "rapist" in a post !!

I hope that you'll enjoy being a member of this forum.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, Asmo said:

No doubt. A PS4 is a good investment given the amount of good titles on it. 

Never actually saw the Miike film, but heard that it deviated a bit from the game's storyline?

The film is kind of only worth it for the guy who plays Majima.  I had to get something good out of it lol.  Nishiki is an after thought.  It's a rushed half baked version of the story that doesn't leave much of an impression.  I can't really recommend it.

Hi everybody, I hope I'm in the right section for introductions. I'm writing from Italy. I don't know how many Italians are here (I think few). as you may have understood from my words, I don't speak very good English, but I hope to make myself understood well enough. as you can see from my avatar I'm a Chan fan, but I love all the Asian cinema in general. in Italy many people know Chan only for Rush Hour (as I think in most of the world) there are few who know him for his past masterpieces. Many people have never seen Police Story and don't know what they've missed. It's very difficult to show Cantonese films with the Asian acting of some characters to people who have never seen them. For example, some Shaw Brothers movies make a lot of people laugh. You're lucky you Brits have labels like Eureka or Criterion that publish fantastic editions and you're lucky to have cinemas that show these films or local people to talk about them. I'm glad that Fortune Star and 88 films are bringing out so many old titles that have finally been restored. Police story restored is umbelievable. I had the chance to have a little personal satisfaction, which was to see a Jackie Chan movie behind Jackie Chan.  The film was not memorable but compared to her last (indecent) ones it was still watchable. I'm talking about Rob B hood. after New police story few people are saved. Unfortunately Jackie is a very controversial character.  His personal positions, charity and the choice in recent years to make films that are increasingly useless, with young Asian celebrities making comic scenes that don't make anyone laugh, action scenes with ugly cgi, stories that get dumber and dumber; have led me to appreciate more and more the brilliant man he was years ago (before rush hour clearly, which by the way, I never particularly appreciated. That's right, I'm not one of those hoping for a new chapter). for example: Brett Ratner I never put up with him as a director and I don't know much about how he's doing after those scandals. Bey Logan never liked me either, I guess he's very much appreciated for the work he's done for years, but he never seemed like a humble, clean person to me. I don't know how he's seen in the film industry now. They're already two people who had similar problems and were close to Jackie and that's very curious. I hope to make good acquaintances, learn new curiosities and anecdotes about martial arts films. In my opinion the last important films that have rewritten hong kong's action are Spl and Flashpoint. however much Donnie has been involved afterwards he never matched those fights, especially the ending of the second film. 

Welcome to the Forum !

And let me tell you (from a non English speaker) that your English is VERY GOOD and that what you write is very clear for me.

There is at least one Italian member, here, it's @francesco72, who is a very kind guy whom I met on another forum.

I hope that you'll enjoy all the sections of the forum.

Welcome!

Your english is way better than mine (which is absolutely pathetic), so don't worry.

I'm not a big fan of Jackie Chan (except for some legendary movies like Armour of god), and you're right, in some way, he's a shady character but a fantastic stuntman. Strangely, I'm more a Hung Kam-Bo and Yuen Biao fan.

Anyway have fun here !

:monk_toasting:

Enjoy your membership here, friend!

I'm an American expatriate in Brazil, and I speak no Italian, but my Portuguese is decent. :)

I love Chan, as I love Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Yuen Biao and Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee. I love superkickers in general.

Have fun here!

15 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Welcome to the Forum !

And let me tell you (from a non English speaker) that your English is VERY GOOD and that what you write is very clear for me.

There is at least one Italian member, here, it's @francesco72, who is a very kind guy whom I met on another forum.

I hope that you'll enjoy all the sections of the forum.

It is a pleasure to be here. Thank you for your hospitality. I hope to meet everyone during this time. The Italian you mentioned can also write to me in private if you wish. 

Hello All!

I'm Dave from Massachusetts, United States. While I've been a long time reader of the forums, I've only recently decided to sign up, so thanks for having me!

While I got into Kung-Fu later than most (my start began with Samurai flicks in high school), it's become among an all-time favorite movie genre and I'm happy to find a community to share this mutual love. I'm always looking for recommendations as well as to expand my ever-growing film collection, so if you know any deep cuts or under-seen gems then please let me know!

What's more, I run a film appreciation society called the Midnite Romero Society, named after the late George Romero, in which we hold bi-monthly meetings to watch and discuss films. We're about to start our first series in association with a local arts center, called Grindhouse at the Firehouse, so if any of you happen to live around the Framingham, MA area then please check us out! I'm working on booking some kung fu flicks for our next season!

Once again, thanks for having me and I look forward to discussing all sorts of cool stuff with everybody!

3 hours ago, dshooker said:

I'm Dave from Massachusetts, United States. While I've been a long time reader of the forums, I've only recently decided to sign up, so thanks for having me!

Welcome, Dave. Thank you for finally taking the step to join the forum. You've definitely decided to do so at the right time. A proper upgrade and new features will be coming here very soon!

On 2/13/2020 at 3:38 PM, dshooker said:

Hello All!

While I got into Kung-Fu later than most (my start began with Samurai flicks in high school), it's become among an all-time favorite movie genre and I'm happy to find a community to share this mutual love. I'm always looking for recommendations as well as to expand my ever-growing film collection, so if you know any deep cuts or under-seen gems then please let me know!

What's more, I run a film appreciation society called the Midnite Romero Society, named after the late George Romero, in which we hold bi-monthly meetings to watch and discuss films. We're about to start our first series in association with a local arts center, called Grindhouse at the Firehouse, so if any of you happen to live around the Framingham, MA area then please check us out! I'm working on booking some kung fu flicks for our next season!

Once again, thanks for having me and I look forward to discussing all sorts of cool stuff with everybody!

Welcome dude.

We're not enough grindhouse fans so double welcome and thanks for your efforts for what is more than pop culture but is what defines us. Well, a generation of us.

Cheers.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux