magicpoe

Bloody Parrot (1981) - Is this the worst Shaw Bros movie ever made?

I really enjoyed Corpse Mania. It was very much like a Chinese giallo. Killer Snakes on the other hand...

Yeah I felt bad for the snakes. There's something really creepy about Killer Snakes.

Both are better than Journey of the Doomed though. I have yet to see a Shaw Brothers film I liked less than that film.

Bloody Parrot is a classic...wicked Pak Biao sword shapes and a pretty girl wandering around naked during the finale for NO reason whatsoever. As for Challenge of the Masters being a bad movie...stop smoking that stuff...that's my favourite Wong Fei Hung movie ever classic Hung Kuen training and correct Mo Duk. As for my worst Journey of the Doomed, Little Dragon Maiden, Amourous Woman of the Tang Dynasty are all pretty terrible.

Bloody Parrot is a classic...wicked Pak Biao sword shapes abd a pretty girl wandering around naked during the finale for NO reason whatsoever. As for Challenge of the Masters being a bad movie...stop smoking that stuff...that's my favourite Wong Fei Hung movie ever classic Hung Kuen training and correct Mo Duk. As for my worst Journey of the Doomed, Little Dragon Maiden, Amourous Woman of the Tang Dynasty are all pretty terrible.

I think little dragon maiden was okay....crazy shaolin disciples was terrible but as it`s out of print and might have some value on ebay I do not throw it to trashcan or deliver into 2nd hand store.

Here's some I find to be a chore to get through...

THE GHOST STORY--Gorgeous set design but lackluster sex and ghost tales build to an incredibly bizarre climax that recalls the inanity of Robert Tai complete with battling wizard, naked kung fu fighting women and a giant female statue come to life shooting laser beams.

I think it was not that bad.1st part where lady ghost gets to taste his own medicine and turns into same item as his victims was interesting.From that it`s bit downhill but in the end things improve a bit.Overall not bad timewaster and I was even able to watch it wihtout using FFW at one session.Not highly recommended but if you see it at bargain bin/2nd hand shop I would say it`s worth picking up.

I thought Challenge of the Masters was my least favourite, but as far as quality is concerned, Ten Tigers Of Kwantung was pretty wretched - good fun though

i remember when i saw ten tigers on vhs some ten years ago, and i was like wtf? LOL then i watched it years later and enjoyed it for the fluff that it was.

After reding through this, I have one thing to say: I HAVE to see Bloody Parrot.

Bloody Parrot is fantastic until the last act, when it goes utterly off the rails, I thought.

Just saw 55 minutes of Shaolin Abbott, one of the worst. David Chiang and Lo Lieh are the "best" fighters, so don't expect much. Also, really bad acting by Li Li Li, and the worst Shaolin Temple attack ever. Oh well, they can't all be hits.

Just saw 55 minutes of Shaolin Abbott, one of the worst. David Chiang and Lo Lieh are the "best" fighters, so don't expect much. Also, really bad acting by Li Li Li, and the worst Shaolin Temple attack ever. Oh well, they can't all be hits.

Very slow movie too.

Journey of the doomed and young lovers on flying wheels are easily far worse than bloody parrot which is not great but still quite ok.

Lady general hua mu lan is garbage too, I tried to like it even a little bit but failed on that.

I did not manage to get throught black magic 2 but what I saw appeared superboring.

Journey of the doomed [...]
Yeah, avoid this one.

Lady general hua mu lan is garbage too, I tried to like it even a little bit but failed on that.
Have to disagree. Keep in mind it's a Chinese Opera, which is an acquired taste (which is difficult to acquire). I think it's a lot more accessible than say The Love Eterne. If you're not up for a film with a lot of opera-style singing and very little action, then it's not the right kind of movie for you, nothing to do with the movie itself. Personally I find Chinese Opera a bit of a struggle, and LGHML is the only one I've seen more than once.

If your interest in Shaw Brothers movies goes beyond the fight scenes, their opera films have the most impressive sets and costumes, and actresses Li Ching and Ivy Ling Po really shine in them. However, you may want to turn the sound off when watching. :smile:

Bloody Parrot is not that great but not bad either. There are worse Shaws out there.

For instance Coward Bastard and Tigress of Shaolin.

Both movies are tough to watch in one attempt due to the terrible comedy.

Bloody Parrot is not that great but not bad either. There are worse Shaws out there.

For instance Coward Bastard and Tigress of Shaolin.

Both movies are tough to watch in one attempt due to the terrible comedy.

I know Coward Bastard was hard to take, especially at 1st, but Yuen Wah is in it with actually a substantial part so it's got that going for it. The dub cam around recently - 'House of Traps' dub team unfortunately. Tigress....I really cant defend it. But we got that dub now also!

:biggrin: