I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Tosh

Old Boy (2003)

A classic if there was ever one. Disturbing, intense, well-paced, fantastic characters, and a zinger of an ending.

Until I know more about Korean cinema, I'll abstain. But considering what I do know, it's the best to come from there. Also, regardless of country, it's just a great film.

I loved it, but I may have prefered Sympathy for lady Vengeance. As for best Korean movie, JSA was great & so was Memories Of Murder. Old Boy had tons of style & a crazy story. I found the ending let me down just a bit, though.

Very well made, the director obviously has talent in spades, but often plays strictly for shock value and hypnosis as a resolution is just awful lazy writing. I liked Sympathy For Mr Vengeance much more - almost preposterous in its reliance on coincidence to drive the plot but I very much enjoy the fact that it is simpler stylistically than the next two yet much stronger and very visceral in emotional impact.

Wow I'm surprised so many people were so offended about the ending(I'm taking it was about the incest, haha hey I live in the South here), I'd put this movie in my top 10 all time, the twist ending was mind blowing, that hallway fight has to be one of the best fights in a non-ma movie ever, and Min-sik Choi's acting performance is brillant, but the part were he shoves that octopus in his mouth is my favorite. Every non-Asian film fan I've showed this to loved it.

Loved Oldboy, i don't see how you could be offended by the ending... it was a shocker but not offensive. If you want offensive watch some Takashi Miike flicks. IMHO not the best korean movie ever, close, but i think that Che-hwa-seon/Painted Fire (i think thats how its spelled) is the best.

Okay, this is going to sound really bad...but due to tight budget issues and all, I have not seen Oldboy yet. Yep, get those tomatoes ready LOL...but no fear, I finally got my hands on a copy of it and I'm going to see it tomorrow!!!!

Samuel L. Jackson calls this his favorite "New Classic Asian Film" in Entertainment Weekly.

And to think, the musical world of Bollywood remade the film in 2006 with ZINDA, which had Sanjay Dutt in the lead role. I'm going to try to get the remake this week to compare the two versions.

I finally watched it today!!! I was just blown away. Choi Min-Sik was freaking awesome as the tragic Oh Dae-su. I thought the film was more than a cat-and-game mouse. I thought of it as a character study, especially when it came to the psyche of Oh Dae-su. That finale was blew me away and was one of the most shocking twists I've seen. The whole incest thing was mindblowing.

Yeah this movie blows everyone away that I've shown, I know some people here like the one of the other movies in the series but this one way gets my vote.

That hallway fight has to be the best fight ever in a non-MA film.

And I love that octopus scene, I guess they did 4 takes of him shoving those things in his mouth.

Oldboy is great but I prefer Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (haven't seen the third installment in the Revenge trilogy, yet). Oldboy is a cleverer, more sophisticated film. But its predecessor left a deeper, longer lasting impression with me.

Soooo, I just heard there was a rumor that Spielberg and Will Smith are going to remake this.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I would like to see just once hollywood release a Korean original in US theaters with a eng dub track.

How many hollywood crappy korean remakes does this make.

Some things can transfer over well, like Infernal Affairs. I just don't see how they can adapt it unless they completely change it. Even if by some magic chance it turns out to be very honest to the source material, you just know they'll demand a rewrite of the ending after US test screenings call it too dark and not a "Will Smith" movie.