I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Egocentrik1

Bruce Lee (1940-1973)

Guest stormybman

You can add Chiba, however, leave Bruce's Raybans out of it!

:lol

"Will you tell me what Teacher died of?"

Guest W Hong

About two or three years ago, the Shrine Comic Book Con had Robert Lee(Bruce's brother) as a guest. I asked Robert if he knew where Nora Miao was born. He said that she was born in Hong Kong, although it seems like Nora was born in Taiwan. Anyway, I remember Robert or some other speaker there saying that there will be an official family statement about Bruce's death.

I think it was also Robert or somebody else who said that there will be some kind of Bruce Lee Encyclopedia. The Bruce Lee Encyclopedia is supposed to have some rare family pictures of Bruce. I also remember showing Robert that cover photo from the "Jimmy Wang Yu Special" of Oriental Cinema Magazine. The photo showed Jimmy shaking hands w/ Bruce Lee. I thought I'd give some of this info for you kung fu fans. I hope that I didn't bother Bruce's family in any way by talking about the info from Robert's convention appearance.

Guest Dahnamics

lol wtf? and official statement on his death?.... now? i love this guy, but damn... lets move on already..

Guest greenbamboo

Robert Lee actually dated Nora Miao in the late 60s before Bruce did :lol

The books you are on about have been released as 'Lee Siu Loong - Memories of the Dragon' by Robert, Peter, Phoebe and Agnes. Compiled by David Tadman. There's 2 volumes.

That 32 Dragons book by Robert on Bruce's death was talked about in a mag as far back as 1994 so i don't think you'll see that being published any time soon.

Guest Marquis de Falcon

Definitely dont want to be a bull in the heather but i read in a Robert Lee interview that that official

statement from the family had to do with coming out that they in fact knew and had known there

was indeed Foul play in relation to and direct link to Bruce Lee's death.

Guest ToddTheRef

How times have changed around here. A few years ago I made the comment here that I didn't think Bruce's movies weren't all that good and he was an idiot and egomaniac for casting his student Kareem (my particular quote was something like "who can't even do a sidekick without looking like an unmedicated epileptic"), and one member in particular said he got so angry when he read it he started to cry. I can't even remember which of you it was, but please step forward and take credit if you wish *crickets*

It just goes to show how liberal or society has become. VonHumboldtFleischer can now speak something approaching the truth without being threatened for his blasphamy. You are the new age Galileo!

I have no doubt that Bruce was a very competent fighter, and strived to be the perfect fighting machine. He was limited by the knowledge of his day in training, bodybuilding etc, as well as his incredibly small frame. Not his fault, its the cards he was dealt. I do believe Bruce was one tough son of a beeutch, though.

Its kind of like saying Arnold was the best or greatest bodybuilder of all time. He was during his day, but the Arnold of 1980 wouldn't even PLACE in today's Olympia, and he would look positively SCRAWNY next to today's Olympia contenders. Its all in how you look at it.

If the Bruce 1973 stepped into the UFC octagon of today, it would be over in SECONDS. We all know it. That doesn't disparage him, he was great for his time, and anyone who studies any martial art owes him a debt. The best or greatest? For his time, yes. Today? I can't see how in any way except nostalgia.

His movies are rather poor, his acting was awful, and his "philosophy" discussions sound like they wouldn't even make sense to a tripping Timothy Leary.

On the plus side, he landed a hot blonde and his cha cha was pretty friggin sweet, so it all evens out I guess.

"Prodigious cheeseburger lockers and kung fu do not mix well" - ancient Chinese proverb

Guest monk sante

Was bruce Lee the Best? Mmmmmmmmm what kind of question is this? I think we all owe Bruce a little more respect than this. Was he the best? Of course he was! IM not here saying he was unstopable but consider every contribution he made to the world of MARTIAL ARTS. You can't help but think of Bruce whenever there is a discussion on Martial arts.

Yeah he wasn't the best actor but guess what, can you name any Martial Arts movie actors that won an Oscar? Name an actor who was able to surpass the onscreen presence that Bruce had? Yeah if Bruce stepped in the "octagon" and followed the "set of rules", then yes it would be over in minutes.

But if your going to fight with no rules, Im sure Bruce could hold his own. And as for this UFC business, my friends this is not ultimate fighting! When fighters are allowed to remove eyeballs from sockets, kick or punch at the groin, aim at the throat, etc, etc, then we can call it Ultimate fighting!

Bruce passed away 34 years ago but left a legacy that will last forever as long as there is Martial arts! :smokin

Guest fabhui

I was also going to mention the whole argument about Bruce Competing inthe UFC.

Bruce trained purely for street fighting, not sparring but FIGHTING! Whichever way you look at it the UFC is still a sport with rules and regulations and so the training for it is completely different than the training in JKD (I'm not talking about JKD Concepts - that's something completely different!!!)

The techniques are different, the delivery system of them is different, the mindset is different, the training and supplemental training methods are different.

In the UFC it's one on one, you don't need to worry about someones mates coming along and using your head like a football. You don't need to worry in the UFC about someone asking you for the time and then trying to stick a knife in you. In the UFC you're not trying to take the guy completely out of action in the first 3 or 4 seconds.

JKD and the UFC are two completely different things, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Guest stormybman

Hmm.. Never saw this one before. Thanks for sharing. I think that GOD project was a lil' more important to Lee than he may have lead others to believe. I mean the CONCEPT, when you think about it, no one at that time was thinking of bringing fighting, as he said :"as it is, man..." to the screen so audiences may have a look at what MA masters can really do.

How about this?.....

858fscd.jpg

I believe it's one of those Shaw photo shoot shots of Lee as Nie Kan Yao. What might have been (sigh!)....

"Can you tell me what Teacher died of...?"

Guest Chinatown Kid

He's the best.

Damn skippy! As Bruce himself once said, "If I said I was the best you would say I was bragging, if I said I wasn't you know I'd be lying." :D

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yeah the pics have dissappeared, I wonder if Linda Lee's attorney Adrian Marshall had them pulled claiming rights because he wasn't making any money off of it. :\

Guest tigerstyles

anyone save em? cuz i did but had to wipe the laptop for another reason.. forgot to back them up. they where good too..also they have been removed from 20thcentury

Guest Bidou Laloge

bruce lee can suck sammo hung toes, he's so far from the best, he's so damnly overated, i don't know why, poor actor skill...