I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Egocentrik1

Bruce Lee (1940-1973)

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I can't think of anything further removed from "reality" than two grown men beating the crap out of each other for no other reason than wanting to be "the best". What an idiotic, adolescent pursuit. Saying that it's somehow "part of reality" falsely implies that it's some inescapable part of everyday existence, when in fact for most people it's quite easy to get along with life without ever getting involved in physical violence, unless you're some kind of small-penised, intellectually inadequate cretin who fantasizes about beating strangers up in slow motion while large-breasted women stand by gasping in astonishment and sexual arousal.

Personally, I'm glad the karate guy got kicked in the face because he was a dick, but I'd say the same if it had been Bruce who got kicked in the face.

You don't have to have personal experience of being the kind of moron who goes around challenging people to a fight in order to know that the kind of moron who goes around challenging people to a fight is, in fact, a moron. And I'm pretty sure that none of us here have ever made a kung fu movie, but that doesn't disqualify us from having opinions about them.

Guest Elvis Mantis

Sorry if it offends you kung fu movie watchers, but real martial arts is about fighting. They were created out of necessity and the need to survive in a world where violence existed. For survival. These were passed down intact, and when they no longer were needed for daily survival, they were referred to as "arts", e.g., martial arts.

Martial artists must test these arts against others, in a non-cooperative manner. If not, these arts change and become dance (see modern wushu). You people should not criticize Bruce Lee or anyone else who tests his art in combat. If you are not a martial artist, you can't understand it, and consequently you think it is brutal and dishonorable.

Is a Beethoven or Mozart symphony beautiful to look at on paper? Maybe. But if it is never played on instruments, it is not truly music. But don't worry, there are many traditional martial artists who will not allow their arts to die, or to degenerate into dance. They will fight because they respect their art and they respect the people who dedicated their lives to passing down the art. Sounds very honorable to me.

Guest stormybman

Hey Urban, that's so cool man. Keep it up bro. Now you've got to get the GOD figure. :D

"Will you tell me what Teacher Died of..?"

Comparing a Beethoven symphony to the grotesque spectacle of two men kicking the vomit out of one another is, I hope, as low as the argument is going to get on this thread.

If you are not a martial artist, you can't understand it, and consequently you think it is brutal and dishonorable.

This lame argument again. Basically what it says is "If you don't agree with me on this subject, then you're not qualified to have an opinion on it. Therefore mine is the only legitimate position." Such mind-bending illogic is usually the last recourse of fundamentalists, fanatics and the intellectually disabled. The very idea that there's something too subtle, too elusive and mysterious about physical violence for normal people to "understand" is utterly baffling to me.

Having said that, there is certainly more honesty in Elvis's post than in all the fluffy euphemisms about how martial arts is a "spiritual" pursuit, in the same way that the nauseating display of UFC combatants kneeing each other in the face is a much more honest depiction than some guy meditating in a waterfall.

Guest Elvis Mantis

I am not a fan of UFC, nor am I a fundamentalist. I did not say that you don't have a right to an opinion; but without spending years learning a TRADITIONAL martial art (not the UFC craze), it will be very difficult for someone to understand the concept of testing one's art. VonHumboltFl, you mentioned two men kicking the vomit out of each other, but that is not what testing one's art is like. That is more like the current MMA craze that is currently all the rage.

Traditional masters often traveled and took challenges from other high level martial artists, and this still goes on today. These challenges are often decided very quickly, without anyone getting hurt or seriously injured.There is one story of two masters who agreed to a challenge, and as they walked through the door to the hall, their bodies lightly brushed against each other. One of the two instantly felt the others' power, and conceded.

I have no problem comparing traditional martial art to a piece of classical music. The words "gung fu" means skill and practice over a long period of time. People do not have to beat each other senseless in order to test their art, but traditional martial artists do not want their arts to become modern wushu, which is martial arts without the martial. I'm a big fan of Jet Li and his amazing wushu skills. But he is not an expert in traditional martial arts. Personally, I don't think Bruce Lee was, either. I think Lee was more of a street fighter with some Wing Chun training and enormous natural talent.

Please don't assume that just because someone practices traditional martial arts and understands their purpose, that they are fundamentalists or thugs. If that's your opinion, and you are blindly sticking to it---then I ask you: who is the fundamentalist?

Guest UrbanKungFu

Come now Markway, I've been reading your posts for quite a while and I thought you were a true gentleman. I only wanted to share a few shots of My Lee collection and what I get from you is "Brute?".

If your'e that touchy about "little people" then I'll start working on a LIFESIZE glass case and if your'e lucky when I'm done, maybe I''ll put you in it.

Don't get angry now Grasshopper, I'm only playing at your level.

Peace!

Hector Martinez

Guest Ching li

it can't be explained but bruce lee just brought something different and cool onto the screen. He made westerners appreciate chinese kung fu/movies. All i can say like him or not if it wasn't for him us westerners would not have been exposed to one of the greatest genre in movies.

Guest Markgway

The only thing I'm angry about is you spelling my username wrong. :evil

You should build lifesize glass display cases and put in all the old school Kung Fu stars for us to marvel at. But remember to leave holes for them to breathe.

Guest shaolin student

For a guy who stood 5ft 7inches, he was very imposing in the screen. Very confident of his skills. Great fighter period!!!

Guest Chinatown Kid

UrbanKungFu, I'm curious to know where you got these Lee figurines at, is there a site online where you can buy them? I'd really like to have the one that has Bruce in his Way of the Dragon clothes and also in his Game of Death tracksuit if it's available.

Guest UrbanKungFu

Hi Linn1 - Thank you for the kind words. I've been collecting for almost 20 years and I love sharing my collection as much as I like seeing other people's collection as well.

To Chinatown Kid - You can get the figures at the following website:

www.enterbay.com

Thank you brother and keep cool!!!!

Hector Martinez

Guest Marquis de Falcon

I’m going to go straight across the grain here and say a few things about Bruce Lee. While it's pretty easy to

become creative and tear the man down with jokes in one liners, Really they are only about as significant as

the time it took to make them. So nothing personal but to those that made the jokes: how long did it take for

you to do it? ''church of bruce'' bs...

These jokes in no way can cover the Span of anything this man did not only across his Time but After his

death. I could be wrong but are there any others Actors or true martial artists that ever had such an impact?

He was just an actor and Martial Artist.. not the president of his country yet he impacted more people than

a president not only Across his ''own'' country... but the World.

He was the single most important figure to dream and fight to bring small time HK films over to the United

States and abroad. Bruce Lee was a pioneer throughout the annals in this respect. He was pre-destined

to do this. Some people play large parts in life. Some play small roles he played this one because he was

one of those Marqee type people. Historic.

Bruce Lee was bordering on International in his own time and when he died he was Coast to Coast like

the aftermath (crashing waves) of some great hurricane.

If i ever had someone ''acting'' like they were me it was only joking or repeating something i has said. But

Bruce Lee even after his death has Millions if not Billions of people who have done this. Not only that ---

demand for him was so Frenzied about him THAT even after he died OTHER Actors pretended that they

‘’WERE HIM’’ for decades!

He revolutionized and brought more cards than the card dealer. In his lifetime he had developed his own

style of Kung Fu - Jun Fan Gung Fu, Jeet Kune Do from the weaknesses of other styles. His exploration

and philosophy was deep rooted on and pivotal in filmmaking and martial arts itself.

Not only a philosopher but a Supreme martial artist, Upcoming director and more.

I will agree and say he is a terrific Cha Cha Dancer as well. Nobody saw his death coming but he in my

opinion was Shinning so bright he “had†to have left us the way he did to show us all he has in such a

short number of years. Personally i know Bruce lee was just a man but there is something’s about some

men that make them more than men. We are kind of lucky to have seen some of it so close to our time.

I hope it doesn’t seem like im hyping him up. He really doesn’t need me to even try.

I pulled out a newspaper of his Son Brandon Lee and i think again about the significance of these two

seemingly cursed individuals. Were they cursed? No in my opinion certainly not. Instead immortalized

having said very little and done so much in so little time. Death surely may come but Living Legends are

only to the likes of these.

This newspaper is from 1992 from my own collection and tells of how Brandon Lee was on the ''RISE''

i kept it because i was a fan of Bruce since i was a little kid myself.

1Image1.jpg

Any man that has Statues about him could be considered prolific. But Bruce lee has....i think you guys

get the point. The Greatest that's impossible. The Greatest of his time yes but someone will always

beat another. Bruce in the end meant so much though even if they kicked his ass he would still win.

He was the most important; if he still is I don’t know. These are the facts. Im huge fan of Shaw

Brother movies but he said ‘’NO’’ to shaw brothers in the end.

These jokes in no way can cover the Span of anything this man did not only across his Time but After his death.

He was just an actor and Martial Artist.. not the president of his country yet he impacted more people than a president not only Across his ''own'' country... but the World.

He was the single most important figure to dream and fight to bring small time HK films over to the United

States and abroad. Bruce Lee was a pioneer throughout the annals in this respect. He was pre-destined

to do this. Some people play large parts in life. Some play small roles he played this one because he was

one of those Marqee type people. Historic.

Bruce Lee was bordering on International in his own time and when he died he was Coast to Coast like

the aftermath (crashing waves) of some great hurricane.

His exploration

and philosophy was deep rooted on and pivotal in filmmaking and martial arts itself. Not only a philosopher but a Supreme martial artist, Upcoming director and more.

Nobody saw his death coming but he in my

opinion was Shinning so bright he “had†to have left us the way he did to show us all he has in such a

short number of years.

Personally i know Bruce lee was just a man but there is something’s about some

men that make them more than men.

And then...

I hope it doesn’t seem like im hyping him up.

... sheesh.

Guest Marquis de Falcon

Lol no need to Para-Quote Von. Guys read the whole thing not parts. The next line after if you look

right after ''i hope it doesnt seem like IM hyping him up'' is... "He really doesnt even need it." It would

be DIFFERENT if i was hyping him up but these are all facts. He hyped US all up and we are just

writing about him 34 years later because we cant forget.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
It would be DIFFERENT if i was hyping him up but these are all facts

Bruce Lee was good for what he was, but it's somewhat reaching to say that he impacted more people than a president. For most people the greatest impact he has had is for them to briefly think 'That was Kick Ass!'.... Nelson Mandela assisted in liberating a nation and an entire race of people. Some choose to take it to another level, but thankfully the church of bruce doesn't outnumber most sizeable nations.

Nelson Mandela assisted in liberating a nation and an entire race of people. Some choose to take it to another level, but thankfully the church of bruce doesn't outnumber most sizeable nations.

I think they've got Lichtenstein beat, though.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Bruce Lee was human and had his faults just like the rest of us, of course he wasn't perfect. That still didn't stop him from inspiring countless to take up martial arts from seeing his films and trying to better themselves. He was a dedicated martial artist who pursued his love with a passion and seemed to try and give his very best on film. His fans respect and admire him for this and there is nothing wrong with that. Bruce was great at what he did and that's why his fans like him. I don't think it's fair to compare Bruce to Presidents, Civil Rights activists, or someone like Jesus as they are totally different on what they were trying to accomplish and what they are about. Sure, those kind of leaders had alot more of an important impact on the world no doubt, but to Bruce's fans, what he accomplished is still important to them. And everybody's not going to be a fan of Bruce of course and that's certainly their right, people just have different tastes and preferences. Some might think so and so is alot better than Lee was and who's to say their not? I just wish some people wouldn't make belittling or insulting remarks about people who happen to be fans of Lee because whoever the non-fans of Lee happen to like and admire, I'm sure they wouldn't like it for us to talk down to them about whoever it may be they like. Let's just respect each other's viewpoints and get past it. Thanks and Peace! :)

Guest stormybman

CTK.... 8)

(Bruce's Trademark Raybans)

" Now tell me the truth... no more lies!! If I turn myself over to you, will you leave the school alone?!"

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I have only read 2 or three lines to this whole discuusion. Bruce was great, but I would just like to add that Sonny Chiba is the greatest of all time! From Mas Oyama, Jubei Yagyu, Hattori Hanzo to Takuma (Terry) Tsurugi. The man has no equal! 8)