I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Egocentrik1

Bruce Lee (1940-1973)

Guest fabhui

Got a lot to thank the man for, not sure how my life would have panned out if not for his influence.

Guest stormybman

I can't even imagine this man being 60+yrs. of age... I guess sifu Liu Chia Liang said it best on the Shaw Bros. video Chop Sockey, this man will never age, forever young...

Bruce brought the flavor to the Martial Arts and action films that didn't exist before he arrived on the scene. We will always be appreciative of the talent, excitement, knowledge, and legacy, you have left us with.

R.I.P. Lee Siu Loong, Little Dragon, sifu Bruce Lee. 8) (Trademark Ray Bans)

I have come for the revenge of my master, this doesn't concern you, so I'll allow you to leave...
brucelee.gif

Guest The Running Man

Yeah, good looking out Johnnie freeze. :)

Anyone know of the possible legal reasons why it was pulled?

Guest Johnnie freeze
Anyone know of the possible legal reasons why it was pulled?

Hi, I believe it had something to do with the footage shown...clips of Bruce from other shows etc. They didn't secure the rights for them.

and you guys are more than welcome. :D

Guest Egocentrik1

thanks for sharing..even though I have to wait 180 minutes to download the next part...and so on and so on

Guest stormybman

Ha, ha, ha, and from a Qwielo!!! That's a great rare pic, one i've not seen before. Thanks for sharing. :D

I have come for the revenge of my master, this doesn't concern you, so I'll allow you to leave...

Guest ben785

Please accept my late addition.

R.I.P Mr Bruce Lee

I honestly think that my direction in life would be very different if it weren't for Bruce. When you understand the significant part that eastern films, martial arts movies, and now, my own Kung Fu training has in my life, you can imagine that I would most likely be a very different person, with very different values and morals (for the worse) in life without any good direction.

Thanks for your inspiration and motivation. Mr Lee. I hope that you are at peace wherever you are.

Guest the dirty tiger

I can't download it, the site it lins too wont let me do it, something about a limit being reached. Can anyone help me out please ?:o

Guest dbtb

try a different browser. My aol doesn't work on this site, but IE, Netscape, and Firefox have no problem. The only thing is you have to wait 2-3 hrs between dls unless you join up as a premium member.

Guest justkungfuman

Simple question or is it?

How about it fellows...Was he??

Want others thoughts on this question..

I've read about him and have seen him on big screen and I would say he made it look awesome on film. But was he the best. Yes or No I would say NO

Thanks for your responses...

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

The best what? It depends what you're talking about.

Actor: Emphatically no.

Martial Artist: Probably not. I don't really know or care enough about real martial arts to assess that.

Kitten Impersonator: Definitely in the top 5.

Director: F**K NO. This, after all, is the man who thought to himself "You know who you don't see in enough movies? Kareem Abdul Jabar!"

'Philosopher': As a thinker, he ranks somewhere between David Beckham and a sack of stunned moles. So... no.

Narcissist: Possibly.

Cha-Cha Dancer: One of the greatest.

Guest Le Peril Jaune

:rollin Thank you VonHumboldtFleischer, finally someone who is not afraid to say it as it is - you're the child in "The Emperor's New Clothes". I'm afraid you will now be skinned alive by the followers of the Church of Bruce.

Guest thundered mantis

I am afraid I don´t know too much about Bruce (I was caught for kung fu cinema in the later Jackie Chan craze), but a question I´ve always asked myself is, did he lack of training?

I mean, his formal tutored training was 5 years of wing chung (while he made child movies and also attended dance classes) before moving to USA; there he kept on training while working, studing, etc., but not under the guidance of a sifu but self training I am right? Afterwards, movie bussiness, more training, further system development, but what real deep contact from masters from one or various disciplines? Compared with people like Hwang Jang Lee, Hwang Inn Sik or Chan Wai Man (to mention some into the movie bussiness), hadn´t all those more years of learning experience?

Also I have read on a Chan Wai Man interview (maybe I am wrong, please correct me), than Bruce Lee didn´t have "real fight" experience, Chan Wai Man called him "the theoreticist" or somewhat similar? But Jeet Kune Do is regarded as a highly effective "real life" fightin´art, so I´m confused

Guest fabhui

I personally don't think Bruce's training was lacking.

He spent approx 5yrs formally training in Wing Chun and then you have to look at the people he was training with and under, people like Yip Man, William Cheung, Hawkins Cheung and last but not least Wong Sheung Leung.

He wasn't training like a lot of people and going to classes 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or so. He was completely obsessed training daily and putting into practise what he had learnt in numerous street fights in Hong Kong.

When he hit the US there is evidence that he maybe had some formal training under Fook Yueng but I think more importantly you need to look at the calibre and backgrounds of his students during the seattle period who he was not only teaching but also learning from and pitting his art against. People like Jesse Glover, James Demile, Pat Strong, Steve Johnson etc. Among them you had Judo Champions (Jesse Glover was winning everything he enetered), Boxing Champions and these guys were well known street fighters.

Later on you have Lee training with people like Gene Labelle, Wally Jay, Ed Parker, James Lee, Hayward Nishioka, Jhoon Rhee all champions and experts/masters in their respective arts and all in awe of Bruce and his fighting abilities.

Then you also have the top fighters of the day going to Bruce for training and instruction..Chuck Norris, Louis Delgado, Joe Lewis and Mike Stone so Bruce obviously had something or else why would they bother?? Also amongst most of Bruce's students were a variety of black belts in various arts, golden gloves boxing champions etc.

All of the above people Bruce was learning from as well teaching. He was continually pushing himself and improving himself and his fighting ability.

One more thing before I finish, Bruce did indeed have several no holds barred street fights and these have been well documented.

Guest thundered mantis

Thanks for the clarification info fabhui, now the whole Bruce Lee thing make more sense to me!

I´d be really interested in reading about those Bruce Lee street fights, I didn´t know about them. I´ve found the Chan Wai Man interview where he talks about Bruce. He says he was the best ounce by ounce he had ever seen! :eek But he also says he never saw him fight on a real fight. Here´s the link:

chan wai man interview

Guest fabhui

Well apart from the challenge fights he had on film sets and the street fights he had in his younger days in Hong Kong....

He had a fight with a high ranking dan grade Japanese Karateka. The fight lasted something like 11 seconds with Bruce straight blasting the Karateka the length of the YMCA handball court whereby the Karateka fell to his knees unconcious at which point Bruce kicked him full in the face. Jesse Glover and Ed Hart who were there thought Bruce had killed the guy.

There is the fight with Wong Jack Man that most people know about. What most don't know is that Wong Jack Man at that point in time was considered to be the number one fighter by the Chinese commuinty and he had a formidable reputation as a fighter in Hong Kong.

When Bruce moved back to Hong Kong he had a fight with a wrestler, I think the time-keeper was a local policeman. Apparently the fight lasted a mere few seconds with Bruce delivering a kick to the wrestler's head and knocking him out.

These are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

Guest Le Peril Jaune
the Karateka fell to his knees unconcious at which point Bruce kicked him full in the face

How honourable.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

thundered mantis, thanks for posting that interview. Chan Wei Man is a true badass. I knew he was a real life gangster, but never got hear from him. Great interview. It was very interesting to hear that Takakura Ken was also a real gangster in Japan. Both are excellent actors.

Guest thundered mantis

Hei fabhui, I found info on the Wong Jack Man fight:

Bruce vs Jack

They say he had many street duels in his early years. Having this had occurred on present times, with mobile phone cameras, we would have some neaty videos!

Guest fabhui
How honourable

There's nothing honourable about a street fight! If your training is reality based this is how you react, if your training isn't reality based then you will at best get battered at worst be left dead in the gutter.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Seems like some people like to hate on Bruce, which is certainly their right. Personally, I thought he was awesome both martial arts wise and charisma wise. When his movies came out, he was way ahead of the rest in terms of choreography imo. The best? Well I don't know if there really is a best, I guess it would all come down to opinion and personal preference.