I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jirpy100

Dragon Dynasty

Guest morgoth

Most likely it is a movie they retitled, cause I doubt they are releasing a 72 minute Ekin Cheng movie.

Guest morgoth

Someone on the KFF site said it is the Sammo movie dragon Squad. Can anyone confirm this? Please let it be another movie!

Guest kermit

My first thought is that it was the Sammo film because they announced that film as one of their future releases when the label started. But why change the title from 'Dragon Squad' to 'Dragon Heat'?

Guest OHMSS006

Can someone tell me what they think of the Dragon Dynasty version of Police Story DVD?

apprantly, i know for a fact that it has the alternate ending from the japanese version as well alot of the scenes more or less which wer really extended scenes as well.

can someome tell me what the transfer was like as well of the actual film and of the deleted scenes? where they directly played from a Laserdisc player? or anything? are they suitable to be edited with? or the quality bitrate is like?

anything really.

i am actually thinking of buying one from eBay.

would really appreciate it.

thanks.

Guest OHMSS006

wow, i didnt realise it was that bad!

man, that is just another wasted DVD release from a company which arrogance.

but what is the extended scenes like? where they directly ripped from the japanese laserdisc as done with the HKL DVD? and talking quality wise, was the transfer any good at all?

Guest The Running Man

Well, if you read my review which I link to in that first post of the thread, it answers all those questions. :)

Guest OHMSS006

man...Brian White is that bad???

may i ask, is this why i dont get such a satisfying picture in HKL's Drunken Master DVD?

Guest killer meteor

Straight from the horse's mouth

"The reason we decided to re-master this movie into 16:9 format was to cater for the widest possible commercial audience. The hard-core collectors may all prefer 2:35:1, but we have found that many kids with 14, 17 and 21" television sets are amongst the most regular buyers of Jackie Chan movies.

Unfortunately, due to the tiny viewing area offered with the 2:35:1 format on smaller TV sets, we often get asked by this target audience to provide 'pan & scan' versions of our movies. As the hard-core collectors detest 'p & s' with a passion, I thought the 16:9 anamorphic/1:85:1 widescreen ratio, would be a good compromise that would appeal to both markets.

In addition, had we conformed the feature to 2:35:1 anamorphic standard, most of the nation's DVD players, are currently not equiped to handle this ratio correctly, and therefore the image would be stretched."

Guest OHMSS006

what a bastard!

that is absolutely irrelevant!

kids with those kind of TV's will of course should have a VCR, ust release the Pan & Scan on VHS (which they did i think) and leave the OAR on DVD! ohh man, its people like this that stops us from having the perfect edition of one of the greatest martial arts films ever made!

so i also take that as a yes then for the colouring that is on the HKL DVD, as i have compared it many times with the Columbia TriStar DVD, that one certainly looks better and untouched. i might as well get the laserdisc of Drunken Master myself (recommended?)

but how is it that the HKL of Police Story doesnt look bad at all?

Guest Reign80

Hong Kong Legend (HKL) = UK dvd

Dragon Dynasty = American version of the HKL

Is that true or not?

Any info would be great appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest leung jarn

They are VERY SIMILAR ;)

Considering Bey Logan and Brian White USEd to work for HKL. Since they both left, HKL lost the plot and the current releases are not as good IMO.

Got SPL, Seven Swords and Tom Yoong Goom from DD at present. The roster for this years releases looks bloody good to me :D

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Slated for a 7/24 release date. Special features to include:

* Audio commentary with Bey Logan

* Pray For Death: interview with Fung Hak-On

* Deliver Us From Evil: interview with Lee Hoi-San

* Legendary Weapons of China featurette (not to be confused with the Shaw Brothers title)

* Original theatrical trailer

* U.S. promotional trailer

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Slated for a 7/24 release. Special features to include:

* Audio commentary with Bey Logan

* A Baptism of Fire featurette

* John Woo: Partner In Crime featurette

* Terence Chang: Art Imitates Life featurette

* Mad Dog Bites Again featurette

* Location guide

* Hong Kong theatrical trailer

* U.S. promotional trailer

Too bad they won't be including the original John Woo / Terence Chang audio commentary. Exited to see a featurette about Philip Kwok (Mad Dog Bites Again). :D

Guest Markgway

I wonder if this will have better A/V than the current champ The Tartan R2 SE? After the Police Story debacle I'll need to see comparisons before making a decision.