I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jirpy100

Dragon Dynasty

Guest The Running Man

Aside from the mono track being in synch, what would this release need in order for it to be "THE" release? Just more extras?

Guest jirpy100

Subs are always the first thing with me. No typos, grammar errors, or odd spellings. No cropping on the image, and I don't care about the sound. I don't have surround sound, so I've never had a problem with 5.1 mixes. Except for Eastern Condors from Fox which has perfect dubtitles (better than bad proper ones), excellent image quality, but something was missing from the sfx which spoilt the whole experience...

Guest jirpy100

DVD Talk on the IVL trilogy:

"The first Police Story was a very low budget production with bland photography. Colors are decent considering the age of the film and its photographic style. Contrasts are very dull and lack rich blacks, but again this may be a stylistic issue and not a video transfer problem. A number of shots are genuinely out of focus. The transfer is soft (especially the credit text) and has only mediocre compression quality and visible detail, but the source elements are surprisingly clean and I did not detect any serious problems with edge enhancement ringing."

"The oldest of the three movies, Police Story, needed the most work done, and consequently sounds the best in its new iteration. The mix is very directional with plenty of discrete movement between the surround speakers, and matrixes very well into a center rear channel if you have DD-EX or DTS-ES processing. The new gunshots have a lot of kick, and explosions and crashes are plenty rumbly in the bass department. The Cantonese dialogue has some minor sync issues (most of the dialogue was ADR anyway), but comes through clearly and intelligibly."

"The English translation is only so-so for the early movies, with a number of typos and grammatical errors, but is reasonably coherent and not too distracting."

DVD Times on the HKL edition:

"Presented at the original 2:35:1 Aspect Ratio with Anamorphic Enhancement initial impressions of Police Story are good but the quality was not quite up to what I was expecting. Most likely down to the conditions in which Hong Kong films are stored this 1985 title looks no better than say the older Magnificent Butcher (also from HKL) but is none-the-less a decent transfer that is far better than any version of Police Story that we have previously seen. The actual quality of the print used is fairly good and apart from a thin vertical line that is present for several minutes in the opening reel (and thanks to HKL restoration techniques it is barely noticeable unless you are actually looking for it) we only see the occasional white speck here and there. The only other inherent problem with Hong Kong titles is that of film grain and Police Story suffers from a larger than usual level of this but again thanks to the quality of this transfer it never becomes a problem unless you are deliberately seeking it out. Another slight niggle would be that of fluctuating brightness levels seen in the backgrounds of the lightly lit sets but again this problem is kept to a bare minimum and with this section of the review becoming overwhelmingly negative let me just say that despite these minor faults this is yet another fine effort from HKL."

"Hong Kong Legends have again provided Dolby Digital 5.1 remixes of both the original Cantonese Dub and the English Dub. Listening to the Cantonese Dolby Digital 5.1 track you will once again be provided with a decent audio experience that is typically (but for the best) understated and concentrates on creating a natural soundstage with clearly audible voices via the centre speaker. While there is little use of the rears we do get some well-executed directional effects from the Buses in the films opening scenes and another great use of the rears was to fill the room with the main Police Story theme (and it sounds great!). I only dipped into the English Dub and while technically sound I was not at all impressed by the quality of the translation or the actors chosen for the roles. Hong Kong titles with this level of verbal comedy never really translate well into English and Police Story is a prime example of this so for that reason this feature is only for those who fear subtitles (and these are of course of the usual high quality that we have come to expect from HKL)."

There are more reviews, but these 2 will suffice. There is no reason why this film can't look brand spanking new, just look what Fortune Star/IVL accomplished by running the 1960's SB films through a bloody machine! Plus, Jackie Chan has the market, it's worth it. 50% of the enjoyment and understanding (subtitles included for a foreign film) of a film comes from the presentation, for me at least. Film is a visual medium after all. While I care about the translation at the end of the day, I wouldn't know the difference unless someone tells me. Same with literature, how accurate can one translate? Especially slang, dialect, and comedy?? Have all the IVL releases gone through exactly the same process as the SB films? I highly doubt it, even though the same company handled both jobs. The SB IVL discs blew away all expectations I had, case in point: Return of the One-Armed Swordsman. The quality is so good you'd think it was made yesterday. Same with 8th Diagram Pole Fighter, Sword of Swords, Spiritual Boxer.... need I continue?

Fox's quality of Magnificent Butcher, Eastern Condors and Knockabout is what I except a film to look like, even though I saw a minor problem here and there - still miles ahead of the average HK DVD (yes, I know they came from Fox's Asian counterpart, Fortune Star). Unfortunately some of my first DVD purchases were back when Columbia/TriStar released Time and Tide, Tokyo Raiders and Gorgeous (didn't know about the cut at the time), and I honestly expected HK dvd's to have the same quality presentation. I've been sorely disappointed ever since. But I love the genre, so I keep on hoping.

Turned into a bit of a rant, but there you have it... ;)

Guest chen lung

Told Brian about PS1/2 Cantonese mono soundtrack sync problems and the slightly inaccurate subtitles on the HKL DVD.

Guest hangman96

Ive heard Dragon Dynasty releases will be coming to the uk at some point,there gonna establish themselves in America 1st.

So we will have to wait and see.:D

Guest Markgway

The rights issues are gonna present problems for branching out in the UK. Apart from the Dimension Films what do DD have the rights to over here? HKL have the rights to Police Story -- unless they expire soon?

Guest The Running Man

That news sounds kinda bogus to me.

As Markgway has said, a ton of rights for a ton of films are taken in the UK.

Guest hangman96

im only goin on what Bey Logan told me as i have fairly regular contact with him and he said there was plans to go into the uk market.

Hkl is goin downhill i think there last few releases have been very light on extras,just seems like there trying to push there releases out with no effort.

Guest Beat TG
im only goin on what Bey Logan told me as i have fairly regular contact with him and he said there was plans to go into the uk market.

I certainly hope so.

Guest The Running Man

I hope that doesn't happen because it sounds sick to me.

And a lot of the blame of the HKL lable now goes to the sell outs known as Bey Logan and Brian White.

Guest chen lung

DD will establish themselves in the UK, Austrailia and Ireland - even HK Flix says SPL is owned in the aforementioned countries by them.

Born to Fight is owned by Momentum Asia in the UK (but obviously you're just saying about the US release;) ).

Guest The Running Man

There's enough competition in the UK from Tartan and Optimum.

Harvey's Dragon Dynasty company going to other countries would only make things worse.

I really hope that they are not going to go to other territories. It would mark another sad era for English speaking Asian film fans.

Guest MacLeod613

Sorry if these have been asked before.

1) How accurate and reliable is the subtitle translation?

2) Have we determied that they are indeed uncut, or as un-cut as possible?

After SPL got retitled as "Killzone," I'm suspicious of them, and wondering what other changes might have been made.

Guest morgoth

The name Killzone was an extremely bad sign but the subtitles have been pretty good as far as I can tell though they can't put the subs all the way in the black bars even though it is widescreened. Good translation as far as I can tell. Everything has also been as uncut as possible. Even when they release a bad movie like Seven Swords with a bad DVD cover it is still an awesome version with great special features.

It only been 4 releases as of now. We will see.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster

Do they all have terrible picture quality, or was their crappy POLICE STORY DVD just an exception to the rule?

Guest The Running Man
1) How accurate and reliable is the subtitle translation?

Aside from The Protector (which were made up), all just used existing subtitle translations. None of them are retranslations.

2) Have we determied that they are indeed uncut, or as un-cut as possible?

Aside from The Protector, all have been uncut.