I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Guest will91XingYu

Daredevils (1979)

Guest will91XingYu

I recently went to hong kong, where i bought so many kung fu films, and i've been of college this week so i though i would have a week of non stop kung fu movies! Any way, i picked up the ivl vcd release of the venoms film called Daredevils (Za Ji Wang Ming Dui), it stars Chang Chehs third group of martial arts actors called the venoms.

The venoms consisted of three opera guys called Philip Kwok, Chiang Sheng and Lu Feng, also there was mantis fist expert Lo Meng and superkicker Sun Chien, also there was hung gar practitioner called Wei Pak, who only appeared in the original venoms film (five deadly venoms) and two other films (Invincible Shaolin and Ten Tigers of Kwangtung). Anyways, this film is set in the 1900s, and follows the story of a milltary generals son (Lo Meng), who seeks revenge after his father is mudered by an evil officer (Wang Li) and also kills not only the general but his other son (baby venom Sai Yuk).

Lo Meng (ill call him that because i can't remember his charecters name) goes to his friends for help, his friends are fellow venoms Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng and Philip Kwok who are street performers and his childhood friend played by Sun Chien. Lo Meng goes to get revenge against the officer who is now head of the region, but what Lo Meng dosn't count on is the officer although very good at kung fu himself but his three bodyguards! Which are played by baby venoms Chui Tai Ping, Tam Jun Tao and Yeung Hung.

Lo Meng sorry to say dies very early on, and it's up to the other venoms who disguise themselves as officails to finally get theyre revenge for theyre dead friend. What unfolds is in my opinion one of the best venom smackdowns ever! This was in In my opinion the closest they got to a modern day fight and man is it cool, it also features heroic sacrafice and loads of acrobatics!

I'd heard a lot of negative reviews, saying this was boring and so on, i didn;t think that at all, true there are only 2 real fights, but loads of training scnes, and when the three opera venoms are doing theyre street show it really is spellbining, these guys are on a another level (i have to admit Hsiao Ho just nicks best ever acrobat).

The venoms formed in 1978 and went on until 1982, theyre last film was House of Traps, this is a great film, mainly becuase it's not just Lu Feng, Philip Kwok and Chiang Sheng that get all the spotlight, for Lo Meng fans this may not be on the top of their lists. Although he does get a great fight against superkicker Tam Jun Tao, who was famous for kicking the crap out of people offscreen. Sun Chien gets a lot of screentime and his kicks look great here. For me my faviroute venom is Philip Kwok, this guy reminds me of Tony Jaa, he can do ANYTHING, he can run up walls, flip kick you name it. Normally Lu Feng is the bad guy but he isn't here! It's the 7th venom Wang Lik who went to the same opera school as Lu Feng and Chiang Sheng. He wasn't as good an acrobat but he is still very talented.

Wang Lik was like head baby venom, the baby venoms were like the supporting actors, they include people like Chui Tai Ping (who fights with a whip in this),Chin Sui Ho who would later take the place of Lo Meng, check out Chin in Fist of Legend with Jet Li and Masked Avengers a great venoms film. Other baby venoms include Ricky Cheng (who found Chiang Sheng's dead body) and Chu Ko (masked avengers), this film really showcases everyone's talent. The end fight as i said is really cool, and it has the ultimate tag team moves (yes, better than Five Superfighters!), they don't use spears and swords here, they use crowbars and hovels, this is a masterpiece of fight coreography!

This is a great venom entry and really shows how vital they were to hong kong cinema and martioal arts cinema. People always remember films like Crippled Avengers and Kid with the Golden Arm, but seriousley check this one out and you won't be dissapointed!I give it a good 4 out of 5. Thanks for reading.

Take care, will

Guest will91XingYu

Hopefully get a few more reviews up, my next review will probably be Legendary Weapons of China. Thanks.

will

Guest Daigoro

there was hell a lot of action going on in this movie. it had tons of high impact fighting.

everything was pretty streamline except those ugly haircuts and those acrobat costumes.

it's not that i dont like the acrobat costumes but not if they are ''wearing them''. im no

fashion ninja but white rayon with orange sashes? i would have prefered some seperatism

here in terms of the costumes showing individuality. when they were fighting it was a little

hard getting used to seeing such great moves wasted while wearing something so plain.

7 outta 10.

Guest will91XingYu

I love this film, one fo the best end venom fights, check oput my review for it in the review section.

Thanks, will

Guest Cesare

Daredevils is one of my Venom faves... I liked the story and some of the action sequences were quite dazzling... And the finale - grand.

Guest Iron_Jinon

only(there is still 2 or 3 unseen) where kuo chui dies and sun chien is good guy...great fights in warehouse final...8,5/10 from me(in venoms standard compared to other stuff it would get 9)

edit:of course sun was good in chinatown kid and invincible shaolin too

Guest will91XingYu

Sun Chiens good in Crippled Avengers, although he dosn't get loads of screentime. I know i was thinking apart from Lu Feng who dies the most in venom films?

Guest Iron_Jinon
Sun Chiens good in Crippled Avengers, although he dosn't get loads of screentime. I know i was thinking apart from Lu Feng who dies the most in venom films?

hmm,well could put it this way;kuo chuis death is about as rare as lu fengs survival....but as feng is main villain almost always not much hope for him to stay alive...expert weapons man.

Guest will91XingYu

I think Chiang Sheng dies a few timeas as well! Ciu Tai Ping who is a baby venom i think dies in every venom movie bar Chinese Super Ninjas! Almost as bad as Bruce Tong.

Guest Tosh

I think Kuo Chui only dies in Avenging Warriors of Shaolin (unless you consider Chinatown Kid a venoms film). I believe Lo Mang dies in every film, he even dies in his main movie 2 Champions of Shaolin, though it's been a while since I watched all of their films.

Guest Iron_Jinon

Invincible Shaolin is rare film that none of the venoms are bad.just pitted against each other by cunning wang lung wei.

Guest Tosh
Lo Mang survives in Invincible Shaolin.

Ahhhhhh thanks:D, you know I need to buy this, it's been a long time since I watched this one, I've never watched this remasterd:eek:

Guest Iron_Jinon
Ahhhhhh thanks:D, you know I need to buy this, it's been a long time since I watched this one, I've never watched this remasterd:eek:

you really need...it was recently released over here with bargain price 6,95€ Woo Hoo...no extras though but who cares,film is uncut and perfect quality.

Guest Iron_Jinon

nice review of great film.I saw this well over 10 years ago from dutch tape&now happy owner of Ivl Dvd.kung-fu film does not always need lot fights to be really entertaining like in this case.rarities here as lu feng is good guy and kuo chui character dies.besides awesome final fight my fav scene is where sun chien is gunned down.4/5 I agree totally.

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks man, gald you enjoyed it, yeh i really enjoyed this one, it's really undertaed but it's better than Falg of Iron which is supposed to be one of the best venom movies.

hi--- just noticed that on the yesasia site that the Thailand version of THE DAREDEVILS is listed as having the English dub available. my question is-- has any one bought this and can confirm that it does have the English dub ?   thanks.

Can't confirm it, my IVL has English subs don't know about the Thai version. If this was me, I'd  email YesAsia directly. The only Thai Shaws I have is The Kung Fu Instructor which has English subs, not a dub. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Hadn't watched in 10 years or more and decided to give this one a spin last night. Wang Li really stole the show for me, especially in the finale, when he takes on 3 Venoms. I wonder what became of this guy. He really had some skills.

Image1.jpg