Sign in to follow this  
shaolin swords

am i the only one

now before i say what i got to say i just want to say i love the venoms master killer gordon liu ti lung david chaing etc......movies as much as any one else but its been driving me crazy that all these different companies be releasing all the same movies and same titles every time they come out with something i mean how many times can you watch 5 deadly venoms 8 diagram pole fighter 36 chambers of shaolin mortal combat crippled avengers etc......and no doubt they are all classics but still we need new movies different movies to be released and this is one of the reasons why i about stopped watching kung fu movies i dont feel like watching the same movies that i know like the back of my hands a million times i just cant do it i love these movies and will always have a passion for them i been watching these movies my whole life and i dont mean no disrespect to any one just speaking how i feel does any one feel the same ? 

Celestial put out about 700 Shaw titles.... the fact that most labels who optioned these for further release in their region were given crappy package deals still does not change the fact that you could just buy the Reg 3 versions.

i know all about that and am not talking about them am talking about all the other companies and am so used to watching the movies in englished dubbed because thats original way i watched thnem when i was a kid that its even hard to watch them in subs i can but i rather watch in english dub thats the problem i have with the celestial pictures but lets not go off topic i just wish companied would put out more movies instead of the same stuff thats it 

53 minutes ago, shaolin swords said:

i know all about that and am not talking about them am talking about all the other companies and am so used to watching the movies in englished dubbed because thats original way i watched thnem when i was a kid that its even hard to watch them in subs i can but i rather watch in english dub thats the problem i have with the celestial pictures but lets not go off topic i just wish companied would put out more movies instead of the same stuff thats it 

Watching a celestial Shaw remaster with english dubbing is basically a hate crime. You should give Mandarin a chance that's a beautiful language, and like you probably noticed, it is very difficult to dubbed correctly in english without sounding ridiculous. I mean beautiful things always require some efforts at first. And among the 800 SB movies, I think we have plenty of choices like @TibetanWhiteCrane said.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

The package deals is the problem and the reason the same titles gets put out. Most companies also won't take a risk on lesser known titles from an economic standpoint. But I still think that labels like Funimation took a chance and 88 Films are putting out some cool releases. But basically, you're a fan of a foreign genre of films that prefers them in your own language, so you're in a sense limiting yourself. And I get it, I like a good dub, but I can just as easily watch the films subbed, which really broadens the spectrum of what's available. 

For me, right now, it's all about DVD-to-Blu Ray upgrades. I'm super happy companies are putting out quality 2K and 4K remasters because I get the films I used to only have in unacceptable-to-acceptable quality in top tier quality. That's awesome.
Sure, repetition gets old. I get it. But I'm a collector at the end of the day. I don't mind owning three or four different versions of the same movie, especially if quality differs.

2 hours ago, shaolin swords said:

.and no doubt they are all classics but still we need new movies different movies to be released and this is one of the reasons why i about stopped watching kung fu movies i dont feel like watching the same movies that i know like the back of my hands a million times

Hi @shaolin swords, when you say new movies. Do you mean new releases of older titles?, that havent reached DVD/Blu-Ray?. Or do you mean, you want some new Martial Art's movies that come in with a fresh/different look?.

16 minutes ago, shaolin swords said:

DragonClaws whats up i mean the older movies from 70s 80s to get a legit release and good quality i really dont watch the newer once the newest i go is the 90s :) 

Stuff is coming out, ok it might not be what you are looking for. Chinese Hercules, and The Manchurian Avenger spring to mind, when I think of up-coming HD Blu-Ray releases. That's before you start with all the other indie titles getting released by Asian Line, VCI, Eureka and 88 films to name just a few label's. Did you pick up the Blu-Ray release of Double Impact by MVD?, they really went to town on this release. Bruceploitation might not be your thing?, but there are people working hard to try and get more stuff out. In the way it was intended to be viewed, without all the awful Pan & Scan jobs.

I understand what you mean though, when some Shaw Brother movies get re-issued countless times. Only for many other movies, to be left with either a bad VHS or at best poor quality DVD release. When will Black Guide(1973) a.k.a Hong Kong Connection get put back out in public circulation again?.

The subtitles nowadays are miles above the old burnt in ones that were usually chopped by pan-and-scan TV/VHS production. Most dub versions are horrendously cut as well. The only country that I know of where dubs are more popular than subs is South Africa. 

If one is waiting for a western release of Bloody Parrot or Marco Polo with English dubs, that will never happen as the majority of Shaws and indies proved to be unpopular with the general public.

This topic reminds me of the ill-fated Fusian Films line which was nothing but remastered Taiwanese indies. Then there was the 80's/90's stuff Image Entertainment was releasing alongside its Shaws. Of course, that stopped right before it released Retreat of the Godfather and Revenge of Scar Face. We all know what happened with BCI as well. We got lucky when Funimation picked up and released its last projects. Crash Cinema was into kung fu before any of these companies. Very few if any of these had dubs besides the Shaws. Now only Well Go USA is still in business and it hasn't released anything made before 2010 since its last Shaw I believe.

The way kung fu releases have gone in the past decade, it was really nice for Criterion and Eureka to release what they have so far like the masterpieces of King Hu.

Let's not forget the impact of piracy either.