I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Shosetsu

"Ghost Stories Of Japan" series

During the 1970s I remember watching a weekly series called Ghost Stories of Japan.  So far I cannot find it on DVD though.

The only episode I can actually remember is the Ghost of Oiwa-- and for two reasons.  First reason is that the Ghost of Oiwa is the most famous of all the Japanese ghost stories.  And the second reason is because that episode starred Actor Shigeru Amachi who was already very well-known to me due to his notoriety as Detective Akechi Kogoro in the Edogawa Ranpo mystery series.  That Kogoro series is another one I wish I could see on DVD.  But no such luck.

So does anybody else remember the Ghost Stories of Japan series?

Edited by Shosetsu

Let me add that the Ghost series I mentioned is not the anime series that premiered in the year 2000.  Instead the one I am referring to came out in either 1970s or 1980s and was live-action. That's why I mentioned Shigeru Amachi.

Edited by Shosetsu

I think the series you’re talking about is Nihon kaidan gekijo (日本怪談劇場) (1970). It had 13 episodes. Amachi was in episode 13. I have not seen the series myself.

It has been released on DVD in Japan several times, first in 2001 by King Records (4 DVDs, 3-4 episodes on each disc), the again by M3 Entertainment (4 Disc box set) in 2007, and finally in 2014 (6 DVDs, 2-3 episodes on each disc) by a company whose name I can’t quite figure out (it’sスバック in Japanese, maybe Svac or Sbac). All should be without subs of course.

kaid1.jpgkaid2.jpg

I think you're 100% right, Takuma.  That must be the one--Nihon Kaidan Gekijo, as you said. It's corroborated by the date 1970 and the fact that you acknowledge Mr. Amachi's appearance in episode 13.  Thanks.  My hat's off to you.

Makes me wonder if that Ghost series included any on haunted Swords.  Because there are quite a number of stories of samurai-swords inhabited by an unearthly spirit.  Those cases are an outgrowth of the indigenous Japanese religion, Shintoism,  that believes in Animism, that is, nature spirits.  

An Animistic Sword can be seen in the series Bangaku. Because in that series Bangaku actually talks to his Sword.  For example in one episode he asks his Sword which town should he go to. The Sword cannot talk back but somehow it helps Bangaku to decide on what to do.

Edited by Shosetsu