DragonClaws

Rumble in Rome: Way of The Dragon Appreciation Thread

Yellow  Faced Tiger wasn't made for another two years, I think you're thinking of A Man Called Tiger. I'm fairly sure Lam Ching-Ying is in that one, not sure where Jackie Chan was, given he is in Fist of Unicorn.

25 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Yellow  Faced Tiger wasn't made for another two years, I think you're thinking of A Man Called Tiger.

Thats right, thanks for the correction @Killer Meteor.

25 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

not sure where Jackie Chan was, given he is in Fist of Unicorn.

He may have been making Police Woman or The Cub Tiger from Kwantung?.

John Derbyshire experiences Bruce Lee's bootwork first hand, in a scene from WOTD.

image.png

- In an essay written in 2003, John Derbyshire told how he had been cast while loafing around Kowloon; someone walked up and asked if he wanted to be in a movie. "[He was] obviously just trawl[ing] around the low-class guest-houses for unemployed foreigners of a sufficiently thuggish appearance."

- Many people don’t know that when he was a kid in Hong Kong, he got beat up by Bruce Lee in a martial arts film for $12/hour.

Source's- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068935/trivia?ref_=ttalt_ql_1

Edited by DragonClaws

WOTD extra Pier Schweer standing behind Bruce Lee, during some on-set downtime with the cast and crew.

3689b556e30835aaf0f04df7f2f4c053.jpg

Some excerpts from a five part article written by Pier Schweer, about his experience working on the set of WOTD. Where he played one of the Italian gangster's. This was originally posted on his FB page.

Source- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1588714 ... 20saw%20it

The first time I saw Bruce Lee, was on the huge park deck of Ocean Terminal in Kowloon, some time around 1971/72. I did my after lunch walk on that park deck, because it had an spectacular surround view of the Hong Kong harbor and was close to my office in Star House.

I passed a small group of people, taking photos of a well dressed young man posing in front of his car. Well, I thought, they probably take advertising shots for Mercedes.

Getting closer, I recognized his car first, because Bruce Lee and his Mercedes were well published in many Hong Kong publications by that time. Besides that, you saw him driving around the tip of Kowloon often, because he lived in that part of the city. Than I noticed, that the well dressed young man was Bruce Lee.

It must have been early 1972 that I met Bruce Lee for the first time. For many years, I lived in a Kowloon apartment building, just across the street of the world famous Peninsula Hotel. At that time, emails were unknown, typewriter for personal letters a "no go". I wrote my personal letters by hand and chose the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel to be the right place. I went there almost every day after work, therefore I was known by the Lobby staff and if ever possible, they reserved my favourite table for me. Countless celebrities crossed the lobby while I was writing my letters. That was much more interesting, than writing in the loneliness of my apartment.

As conversation picked up, I found out, that he was engaged to play a part in the upcoming Bruce Lee movie. Filming at the Golden Harvest Studios was just about to start, so he had to show up there the next day for to play his part. He decided to take my cousin along and because I showed a lot of interest, invited me as well. That gentleman, my cousin´s boyfriend, was Jon Benn.

Therefore, we all showed up at Golden Harvest Studios the next day. Being in Los Angeles the year before and visiting several studios over there in Hollywood, I can remember how disappointed I was upon the outer appearance of that premises. All looked more like a factory for furniture or alike. Mock ups here and there, piles of wood, only a few paved ways. Not what I expected, but if I learned something in Hong Kong, it is this: never judge by the outside, no person, no building, no company.

Jon Benn went into make up and prepared to play his part. My cousin Aloha was introduced to Bruce Lee (she seemed to know him already) and several other people on the set. She also already knew the cameraman, who was from Japan, the country my cousin grew up and spoke the language. Later I found out, that they all had dinner a couple of nights before. Just for the fun of it, they allowed her to play a mini-part in the movie. She is seen, when regular guests are entering the restaurant.

When I was introduced to Bruce Lee that morning, he did recognize me, as the letter writing guy from the Peninsula Hotel Lobby, who sat next to him for a couple of days and he remembered our chat. He did not realize, that I was at the set with Jon Benn and my cousin, as he thought, I was following his invitation. "You are just here at the right time" he said to me, "as we are in desperate need of some extras, who can play the italian villains". "As you do live in Hongkong, can you spare a couple of days and are you interested in some action shooting?"

Edited by DragonClaws

One day I went for dim sum in Tsimsatsui. and bumped into Robert Lee. Hey come over, come over. Sit down, let's sit down together. Bruce said, white guy, white guy. Tomorrow we're filming a movie, do you have time? I suddenly became crazy... couldn't talk you know... and of course I accepted it. Tomorrow bring your guitar.

He was amazing at dancing the cha cha. That song Guantanamera, was his favorite. 16, 17 times... Among the 'bad guys' film extras, There's one named Mark Metekingi, an aborginal New Zealander. He was an excellent singer, singing Guantanamera so well. If Bruce just finished a scene, and was holding those nunchakus... and therefore, dance the cha cha... Thus, grabbing one of the female 'extras' to dance the cha cha together.

Source- http://www.allreadable.com/b0447ooY

The late Mark Metekingi can be seen in the red vest, third from the right in the movie still below. Of all the WOTD thug's, this guy looked the toughest. Even if he was much older than the other on-screen gang member's. He would later turn up in the 1976 Ng See-Yuen production, Bruce Lee The Man The Myth.

BL1258.jpg

Mark Metekingi

69719-max

David Bowie listens to the vocal talents of Mr Metekingi, click on the link below for the short video.

Source- https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/listening-to-marae-elder-mark-metekingi-who-speaks-and-news-footage/857637972

listening-to-marae-elder-mark-metekingi-

Edited by DragonClaws

What was the atmosphere like in Hong Kong when the film was released?. (A.J Stanton)

John Young- Oh and again it was full on publicity and the paper's were really full f it all, T.V channels and every magazine cover had Bruce Lee on them, The girls were swooning for him, the guy's were trying to imitate him. The atmosphere in Hong Kong was electric. There was quite a bit of jealouusy from other Martial Art's styles and I remember watching Bruce Lee on a couple of .TV shows promoting the movie and talking about his style.

John Young a former British soldier stationed in Hong Kong, got to visit Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest studios. While he was filming the fight scene, that takes place in the Mob boss's office. Above is an excerpt from an interview he did with Martial Arts Illustrated magazine back in 2014.

Left to Right, Chuck Norris, Betty Ting-Pei, Bruce Lee, John Young, and Bob Wall outside Golden Harvest studio's 1972.

BL2671.png

Edited by DragonClaws

On 12/3/2019 at 10:21 AM, Coliseum1972 said:

45 yrs ago , xmas '74 :

Dec 2 : danish premiere , Dragen slår til igen (means "Dragon strikes again" , similar to US title)

Dec 18 : french premiere , La Fureur du Dragon ("Fury of Dragon")

Check out @Coliseum1972 cool thread on this subject, for even more Way of The Dragon content. Just click on the link below thank you.

Edited by DragonClaws

Mr Lee choreogrpahs the double nunchaku yard fight, with the singing Maori big Mark Metekingi(Holding the Iron Bar). Who can I-D the switchblade brandishing thug in the background?.

More WOTD cast information Coming Soon.

BL1729.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

Did any actual filming take place at the Roman Coliseum?

Chaplin Chang: We shot there, we went there very early befor the tourists came in, and at the same time we shot a lot of still photographs which would help us to make the set back in Hong Kong.

BL943.jpg

BL2598.png

Edited by DragonClaws

On 11/28/2019 at 2:40 PM, DragonClaws said:

John Young a former British soldier stationed in Hong Kong, got to visit Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest studios. While he was filming the fight scene, that takes place in the Mob boss's office. Above as a excerpt from an interview he did with Martial Arts Illustrated magazine back in 2014.

Left to Right, Chuck Norris, Betty Ting-Pei, Bruce Lee, John Young, and Bob Wall outside the Golden Harvest studio's (1972).

BL2671.png

Bruce has got his hoochie mama right by his side in that pic and she wasn't even in the film! Chuck looks like he's liking her too as close as he's standing in that photo! lol

On 12/14/2019 at 2:15 AM, CT KID said:

Bruce has got his hoochie mama right by his side in that pic and she wasn't even in the film! Chuck looks like he's liking her too as close as he's standing in that photo! lol

Maybe Betty Ting-Pei was keeping a close eye on him?, he just spent three weeks in Rome with Nora Miao and Melissa Longo. No wonder he was dropping body weight in Hong Kong, added with working/training in the hot Hong Hong heat.

Edited by DragonClaws

On 12/14/2019 at 5:10 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I never quite got the appeal of Betty Ting Pei. Now Nora on the other hand...wowzers!

Yes I agree Nora was more beautiful but I think it was more a case of Betty being alot more willing and experienced...

10 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Maybe Betty Ting-Pei was keeping a close eye on him?, he just spent three weeks in Rome with Nora Miao and Melissa Longo. No wonder he was dropping body weight in Hong Kong, added with working/training in the hot Hong Hong heat.

😜

Posing for the camera, outside the Golden Harvest soundstages with WOTD co-star and friend Unicorn Chan. This photo was taken during the filming of the final fight with Chuck Norris.

BL265X.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

I havent forgotten about the WOTD extra/thug information, I did aim to write it up today. Only a much bigger offline priority came up, and put it on the back burner.

British Trailer, for a 1979 Double Bill screned in West London. The trailer would be passed around the country, with a new screen/cinema location added in.

Edited by DragonClaws

Much to my delight, bits and piecies of WAY's score come from this

That really dramatic music when Lee breaks Norris' neck is just meant to be for James Olsen getting his physicial!