saltysam

Mr Nice Guy original version coming to blu ray

NEW 2019 1080p MASTER FROM 4K SCAN OF ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE!

MR. NICE GUY EXTENDED ORIGINAL CUT (1996)
Run Time 97:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English
Aspect Ratio 2.4:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: New Line Cinema Version with Alternate Audio Mix/Alternate Musical Score/Alternate Cut (87 Minutes) (HD); International Theatrical Trailer

He chops, he dices, he purees! Jackie Chan has the recipe for delicious action-comedy entertainment when he plays a celebrity TV chef caught in a deadly dispute between rival Australian crime lords.
With Chan in the kitchen, you know there'll be more pow! than kung pao, and the irrepressible star does not disappoint. Take a look at the in-one-door, out-the-other fight sequence staged at a construction site and you'll discover what we mean. Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes Chan with something new. Then something newer. The breathtaking, lightning-quick fun and excitement just might have you shouting, "Nice kick! Nice spin! Nice move!" He is, after all, Mr. Nice Guy.

10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’ve never seen the extended version. Are there a lot of differences?

Thanks for the heads up @saltysam Will definitely order this.

Depends on whether or not you mean the HK version or the Japanese version. The HK version is longer, and a little bit more serious in tone. The Japanese version is the HK version but with an extra scene (that is partly present in the international edit). Judging from the run time of this one, it should be the Japanese version.

7 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Such an underrated film. I put this amongst the best of Jackie's work. Who remembers when siskel and ebert reviewed this on the show?

Siskel and Ebert are who introduced me to Jackie in the first place with their recommendation of Rumble a couple years previous.  I kinda remember their review of this one...it was thumbs up right?  Anyway, this is far from my favorite JC movie, but an extended cut on Blu-ray is a must own.  

29 minutes ago, massa_yoda said:

Siskel and Ebert are who introduced me to Jackie in the first place with their recommendation of Rumble a couple years previous.  I kinda remember their review of this one...it was thumbs up right?  Anyway, this is far from my favorite JC movie, but an extended cut on Blu-ray is a must own.  

I think it was two thumbs up. I know for sure ebert loved it. 

I once got a chance to see this in Boston years ago, at a Sammo Hung Retrospective, They played an "unfinished" version of the movie believe it or not....it only had "temporary music" wasn't even fully edited with a few different scenes, Sammo Hung was there the night before introducing the film as well as a few of his other classics...I remember distinctly when they introduced it that they made a point to say this was NOT the finished product...

usually when WA announce a release it appears within a month- as long as there is no unforseen problems i'd expect this to be released before the end of October.

#edit# Amazon saying 29th October

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y1XYKCJ?qid=1568902903&refinements=p_n_date%3A2693529011&rw_html_to_wsrp=1&s=movies-tv&sr=1-482&tag=blurayforum-20

Edited by saltysam
release date

Great news, and not just another generic bare bones release. Mr Nice Guy wasno Police Story or Rumble in The Bronx, but I loved it when I picked it up on VHS. Looking forward to re-visiting this one via the alternative longer cut. Never purchsed this on DVD, so it's a must have.

Let's see if Warner Brother can pull any other Asian titles from their Archive too, maybe a certian Sammo Hung movie they have the rights to?.

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Let's see if Warner Brother can pull any other Asian titles from their Archive too, maybe a certian Sammo Hung movie they have the rights to?.

Someone on another forum reckons Warner no longer have the rights to Pedicab Driver ( which could be good news, may mean it's up for grabs for the likes of eureka) i'm hoping this sells well and we see the longer version of First Strike,Rumble In The Bronx & Who Am I ?

9 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Someone on another forum reckons Warner no longer have the rights to Pedicab Driver ( which could be good news, may mean it's up for grabs for the likes of eureka) i'm hoping this sells well and we see the longer version of First Strike,Rumble In The Bronx & Who Am I ?

Interesting, we will have to just wait and see. Hopefully they sell enough copys to warrant them releasing their other JC titles.

Unless they sold them off (Pedicab Driver and The Blade) in the last couple of years. Not impossible by why would they bother to remaster and offer HD streaming and dvd to just turn around and to sell it off. Perhaps they would be willing to license the titles out to Eureka or even 88? I would like to see an industry article or some good solid evidence that they sold them off to another company. Don't those kinds of negations normally take a while to finalize? 

I actually prefer the US version of the film.It has much lighter feel to it, the dialogues are funnier(comparing with English subs on HK version), although It's a little bit less coherent

I remember that R. Ebert loved the movie, specifically one particular scene where Jackie hands his empty gun to a bad guy and the bad guy tries to shoot Jackie with it. Ebert actually tried to do some kind of reenactment of the scene, calling it genius. Siskel was making fun of Ebert after that  :)

4 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

I actually prefer the US version of the film.It has much lighter feel to it, the dialogues are funnier(comparing with English subs on HK version), although It's a little bit less coherent

I remember that R. Ebert loved the movie, specifically one particular scene where Jackie hands his empty gun to a bad guy and the bad guy tries to shoot Jackie with it. Ebert actually tried to do some kind of reenactment of the scene, calling it genius. Siskel was making fun of Ebert after that  :)

Here's where you might appreciate the blu-ray's presentation. If you've seen the HK version, it was dubbed into Cantonese. The extended Japanese version (which will most likely be present on the blu-ray) actually has the original English sync-sound audio. It carries the film a lot better than the HK dub, IMO.

I was wondering about this film for blu recently and here it is lol.  JC making us poorer in 2019.

SDH subs only I assume? Not a big deal but I can see why some complain.  Personally I'd like a PCM English/Mandarin stereo track as an alt to the 5.1 but that's just me.

Japan is getting a deluxe blu-ray (similar to their DMII). Hopefully this means a HK blu-ray will follow, which if it does will be good news for those of us who can't order from Warner Archive.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07YTZZD3G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ジャッキー・チェン&qid=1571973852&s=dvd&sr=1-1

Thanks to @tman418 for the heads up!

8 hours ago, Asmo said:

Japan is getting a deluxe blu-ray (similar to their DMII). Hopefully this means a HK blu-ray will follow, which if it does will be good news for those of us who can't order from Warner Archive.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07YTZZD3G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ジャッキー・チェン&qid=1571973852&s=dvd&sr=1-1

Can't you get the Warner Archive release from here? I did and it's on the way

https://www.wowhd.com.au/mr-nice-guy/883929696284