I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
HyperDrive

China Destroys Buddhist Statues

They should be very careful not to touch the 36th Chamber.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3765561

CCP destroys more Buddhist statues to stamp out religion in China

Chinese government walls up, dismantles, defaces Buddhist statues in effort to stamp out religion

By Keoni Everington, Taiwan News, Staff Writer

2019/08/20 18:02

As part of its efforts to subjugate religion in China, photos have surfaced showing the Communist Chinese government defacing, walling up, and tearing down Buddhist statues across the country.

According to the report by Bitter Winter, the Dahebei Ecological Garden Cemetery in Liaoning Province's Tieling County was forced to give a "facelift" to its Guanyin statue or have its face dismantled. Over the course of three months, the heads of the "Four-Faced Guanyin" were modified to look like petals of a bizarre lotus flower.

A 10-meter statue of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva in Tieling County's Junlongquan Cemetery has now been obscured with two layers. It was initially covered over with galvanized iron sheets with the The Twenty-four Filial Exemplars inscribed on them. However, communist officials felt this was not enough and the statue has now been entombed in a faint vertical sarcophagus made of marble slabs, according to Bitter Winter.

On June 20, in the Cangshan Scenic Area of Shanxi Province's Yangquan City, the local government surrounded a 16-meter-high Guanyin statue with scaffolding under the guise of carrying out "renovations." However, the entire statue was completely dismantled using a crane, and a staff member told Bitter Winter that "The government claimed that tourist areas aren’t the places for worshipping Buddha, no Bodhisattva statues are allowed there."

In May, the United Front Work Department of Datong city in Shanxi Province's Lingqiu County posted a "rectification" list that ordered a crackdown on outdoor statues. In June, a 15-meter Bodhisattva statue located in the county's Xuanlong Temple was torn down, according to the report.

During the dismantling, the temple's octogenarian abbot tried several times to physically block the workers from tearing down the deity, but government workers hauled him away. A source told Bitter Winter that despite the fact that the temple's abbot had promised that followers would obey the government's "four requirements" policy, the temple was still subjected to the clampdown.

In Shandong Province, a 30-meter-tall "Thousand-Hand Guanyin" statue built at the cost of 400,000 Chinese yuan barely stood for two months in the Dengshan Scenic Area in Lanshan district of Rizhao City. Then, it was completely razed to the ground by the government while the scenic area was "closed for renovations."

Over the same period at the Mount Tiantai Scenic Area in the Donggang district of Rizhao City, a Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva statue was disassembled and covered in branches.

In March of this year, a video surfaced of a 57.9-meter-tall Buddhist statue of Guanyin blasted into smithereens near the Huang'an Temple in the Wuwushui Ecological Scenic Area. Before being destroyed by Communist officials, the statue, which was carved out of a cliff, held the distinction of being the tallest carved statue of Guanyin in the world

1566292859-5d5bbb7b19b33.jpg1566295115-5d5bc44b52c63.jpg

1566293824-5d5bbf4038563.jpg1566293229-5d5bbced84f3b.jpg

1566294937-5d5bc39926f99.jpg

Not intending to launch a pro/ con religion discussion. In my book this kind of iconoclasm is nothing but barbarism, or rude politics. Dang shame to destroy their own culture and artwork. Guan Yin is considered the goddess of Mercy, so please have mercy with these thickheads, Lady. I wonder if they will do the same to the many Guan Yu statues, Guan Yu unlike lots of deities is basically a historical figure who became a deity in all four main Chinese religions. 

Sadly this kind of beaviour has been around for thousand's of year's, the new rulers come in and try and erase the past. The Roman Empire, The English Empire, The Viking's etc etc, all did there fair share of this kind of thing, its a worldwide problem. Christian's would destroy a Pagan stone circle and build a church upon it. Now these churches are being turned into apartments or other thing's. Some governments like to call it progress, I prefer to call it mindless vandalism.

What a shame ! And isn't China mainly a Buddhist country or is it just the " legend " we foreigners believe in ?

I can't imagine how I would react if my government began to destroy all the churches and all the Crosses and Jesus and Mary's statues !!

22 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Now these churches are being turned into apartments or other thing's. Some governments like to call it progress, I prefer to call it mindless vandalism. 

How true it is !

As there was here, the " separation of Church and State " since the revolution (if I'm not mistaken, it's the clergymen who have to consolidate and " keep alive " the churches, but they say that they lack money, even if there are some mecenes who give a lot, and that's why some churches become house, or supermarket or whatever else...A real shame...

15 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

What a shame ! And isn't China mainly a Buddhist country or is it just the " legend " we foreigners believe in ?

I can't imagine how I would react if my government began to destroy all the churches and all the Crosses and Jesus and Mary's statues !!

After reading the article posted by @thekfc, it seems it was just a legend perpetuated by media. You'd think they realized that they were sabotaging the economic stability of tourist areas by destroying the main attractions though. The same thing happened in Laos and Mongolia under communism though. 

Buddhism seems to be losing another land. It once flourished in India and then the Mughals wiped it out. It only reentered the country when the British captured Ladakh and Sikkim. 

It is bad that we see such mindless destruction today in the form of this and the Uyghur camps.

From - https://bitterwinter.org/worlds-largest-cliff-carved-guanyin-statue-demolished-video/  

"The common people worship and praise Buddha, but they don't praise the Communist Party.  How can the Communist Party be happy about that?" said a local villager.  "As you don't believe in the Communist Party, the Communist Party will tear down your Buddha statue." 

Recall the destruction of the giant Buddha statues in Bamiyan by the Taliban in March 2001.  "They were destroyed by the Taliban.  But now the giant Buddha statues of Bamiyan have returned with 3-D light projection...  Now, 3-D light projects on the empty cliff where the statues once stood.  The device that controls the illumination was a gift from a Chinese couple to the Afghan people."  From https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-06-11/they-were-destroyed-taliban-now-giant-buddha-statues-bamiyan-have-returned-3-d  and  https://www.khaama.com/return-of-bamyan-buddhas-with-help-of-3d-image-display-9468

Edited by whitesnake

5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The Leshan Giant Buddha is the largest stone Buddha in the world, an UNESCO World Heritage site and a major, major tourist attraction. 

If you want to see the Buddha, it is recommended that you do not go there during any Chinese holiday or festival as you will have to queue for hours to get to the Buddha feet. 

I have yet to see it, one time while I was in HK and wanted to go see it but everyone in HK told me to do not even bother as the place would be crowded to the max. I do plan on going to see it but will have to go during the low season.........only problem is I am always in Asia during some kind of festival/holiday.😐

Just now, HyperDrive said:

Does anyone think authorities there will leave that one untouched after destroying all the others?

I'm not certain, but if it's a UNESCO site, this protocol might protect it from being altered:

(a) To commit any acts of hostility directed against the historic monuments, works of art or places of worship which constitute the cultural or spiritual heritage of peoples

It could be likely that China defacing it might be perceived as an act of hostility.

It might be too high profile of an act for the Chinese government to commit cleanly due to the UNESCO designation. However, the Buddhas of Bamiyan were under that designation as well. Then again, the Taliban did not care about the public eye nor did it have the economic partnerships that China would risk losing.

I am an atheist, and I see most religions as cults that keep the commoners in place. The issue here is that the Cult of the Xi dynasty wants to destroy the Buddhist cult. There's still worship, everyone deserves what they get, it's just you worship Xi and the party, not Buddha. And no reincarnation.