I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

AlbertV

RIP Rutger Hauer (1944-2019)

Looking at his filmography, I really haven't seen a lot of his films (including The Hitcher). But he was (obviously) great in Blade Runner and I think Surviving the Game is an underrated gem.

One of mine was Blind Fury, as the Zatoichi-inspired ex-Vietnam War vet Nick Parker. Here he is against the legendary Sho Kosugi

12 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Looking at his filmography, I really haven't seen a lot of his films (including The Hitcher).

He was sort of too good in Hitcher, seeing him in other movies made nowhere similar impact. Still with that role he became  one of my fav western actors...Arrow released book of "the hitcher" and thousands  fans around globe are waiting/hoping they can obtain rights to movie..

MV5BOWZkODZkODAtNzU3YS00M2NlLWJjOWEtNDY2

Edited by Tex Killer

He had a prominant role in the first episode. Of q BBC series called The Last Kingdom, now owned by Netflix. This was the last thing I've seen him in. He stole the episode from the younger actors, paying n old blind Viking king.

Not his greatest movie, but Hobo with a Shotgun wouldnt have been the same without his presence.

24Hauer1-jumbo.jpg

MV5BOGFiN2FkOWQtNmRjNi00OTM4LWFiZTktMGQz

Edited by DragonClaws

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die." - Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) in BLADE RUNNER

Hauser actually cut and reworded some lines from this speech (originally scripted by David Peoples) and added the last two (and arguably the best) lines which he wrote the night before the scene was filmed. This is one of the most moving moments in all of sci-fi cinema for me.

Hauer was terrific in everything he was in, but my favorite roles of his alongside BLADE RUNNER are NIGHTHAWKS, BLIND FURY and THE HITCHER.

Such a sad news.

Split Second, The blood of heroes and blind fury are underrated gems. He was a true grindhouse actor and he’ll be remembered.

Really sad to hear this, 75 years feels too young to go!

He was always a really watchable and versatile star, one of those actors who when he showed up in something I always felt that wave of relief wash over me, like 'we're in safe hands now' kind of feeling.

I think i likely first saw him in Blade Runner,  then genuinely adored seeing him perform every time I had the chance.

Most of the titles listed by others here I wholeheartedly agree with ( especially Blind Fury, Split Second and fuck yes! Surviving the Game - forgot about that completely! cheers @Drunken Monk ) - but also adored his performance in Sam Peckenpah's The Osterman Weekend and in more recent years got a kick seeing him show up briefly in Nolan's Batman Begins as Mr Earle and fondly remember his run of pretty awesome Guinness Adverts here in the UK during the 90's

'The Light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long'

Just got through seeing him in Blade Runner not too long ago. Its very sad to hear that he has passed away. RIP Mr Hauer, you did a fine job entertaining thousands of folks, and deserve to finally rest. 

I re-watched Spetters this past weekend. He played Gerrit Witkamp, a motocross champion who was idolized by the trio of young characteres Rien (the late Hans van Tongeren), Eef (Toon Agterberg), and Hans (Maarten Spanjer). While many liked him, Witkamp did do some mean things in terms of Hans, when a fun joyride was re-cut into a series of goofs on Hans' part. This was seen towards the tragic third and final act involving one of the main characters. 

Hauer with co-stars Renee Soutendijk and Jeroen Krabbe on the set

spett03.jpg

spett05.jpg

I just watched hitcher as a tribute to Rutger Hauer, I still think it’s an excellent Cannon movie. But I noticed one thing, despite its qualities metacritic gives it a score of 32 out of 100 which is the score of an Uwe Boll movie. The imdb score is arpund seven. One thing to note is that metacritic is a average score of professional, imdb is user reviews. So my point is those kind of review giant are not so trustworthy when it comes to grindhouse or even action / MA movies.