Sign in to follow this  
Silver and Gold Dragon

Zatoichi (Katsu era) English dubs?

Has anyone seen/heard or know of English dub versions of the Zatoichi movies with Shintaro Katsu? (I think there might be a dubbed version of Kitano's 2003 Zatoichi).

I ask the question because Ted Thomas has mentioned dubbing Zatoichi in a couple of interviews, I'd love to hear an Axis International dub of Zatoichi movies, though I guess these are hard to find and may not even exist anymore? 

There may be a one off somewhere, but I kind of doubt it. Zatoichi was shown in art house and Japantowns, so subs and original language only. By the time the international martial arts boom hit, Zatoichi was winding down, and the movies were too slow for urban audiences. Now, I like them fine, but if you're going to put a movie on a triple bill with SuperFly TNT, and the Thing With Two Heads, it better be action packed.

The Baby Cart from Hell/Lone Wolf were all dubbed in English however, as they were gory and had more action.

Edited by NoKUNGFUforYU
spelling

Below is what Ted Thomas has said about Zatoichi in interviews:

From https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2017/05/17/man-of-a-thousand-voices-hong-kong-voice-actor-ted-thomas-on-his-prolific-dubbing-career/ 'MAN OF A THOUSAND VOICES! Hong Kong Voice Actor Ted Thomas on His Prolific Dubbing Career!' by Brett Homenick :

(BH=Brett Homenick and TT=Ted Thomas) 

BH: On the subject of working with Toho from Japan, did you find them difficult to work with? A lot of companies have.

TT: I didn’t. Normally I’d work through a Chinese intermediary, but a couple of their guys did come to the studio one day to watch the film dubbing. They were very silent and very pleasant and everything. In fact, they took us out for dinner later.

At this time, it wasn’t just monster movies from Japan. We had … what was his name? The blind swordsman.

BH: Zatoichi.

TT: Zatoichi, yeah, we did all his movies...

BH: On the subject of the Toho and Godzilla movies, do you have any specific memories of dubbing any of those films?

TT: Yes. We all liked doing the swordsman, the Zatoichi films. I thought they were very original. They were very imaginative movies. And I think the character, although in a way preposterous, in another way was quite plausible.

At around 06:16 for about a minute in the video below, Ted Thomas talks about dubbing Zatoichi and other Japanese movies. (Even though he confuses Zatoichi with The One Armed Swordsman. I assume he was fundamentally referring to Zatoichi).

Yeah, I had the same question too when I first listened to Ted Thomas's interview.

I would love to hear the English dubs as he mentioned enjoying working on the dubs for those films.

BTW, there is a beautifully remastered bluray box of all the Zatoichi films (minus the one from 1989) from Criterion. Of course, there are no English dubs because Criterion likes to keep their releases true to the original, though they do sometimes include English dubs as in the case with Rashomon and Police Story.