Early this morning, my father passed away at home...

My father's health has declined considerably over the past 4 years and much of my time has been spent taking care of him and although I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for this inevitable conclusion, it seems you can't really prepare to lose a loved one. He meant everything to me and he was there for me my entire life. I'm trying my best to be strong for my family as they will need me to be but my heart is truly broken. I've mentioned it here a few times but for those who don't know, it is because of my father that I love martial arts movies. He enjoyed them and I enjoyed watching many of them with him for years, from those early days when we rented them on VHS at the video store, watching them on Saturday and Sunday afternoons on TV, to buying DVDs and it was one of the many things that we bonded over. He was a big fan of Bruce Lee, Sonny Chiba, Hwang Jang Lee, and although he wasn't the biggest fan of Shaw Bros stuff, he loved 5 Element Ninjas. Many of my favorite memories are of watching martial arts movies with my father.

I'm not a religious man or very spiritual but I welcome all prayers, well wishes, alpha waves, and positive thoughts. The road ahead is going to be a very difficult one and I'm not sure what the future holds but I hope to find and maintain the strength to move on with my life without my father in it, whom I will miss forever...

Edited by Shaolivevil

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I also share similar memories of my father and I bonding over kung fu movies, particularly Sammo films. We even began including my daughter in our viewings. Knockabout is one of our favorites.

I'm wishing you the strength to move forward, and may Buddha bless you on your journey ahead. 

My deepest condolences on your loss. You sound like you have some very good memories of times you had together, your father will live on through these.

I'm very saddened to hear of your loss. When my mother passed over a decade ago, I received many comforting comments from the members here. In my heart, it further solidified the concept that this forum was more than just a place about movies but an extended family that shares in both our joy and our sorrow. My prayers are with you and your family.

My condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father. He seemed like a great man and the world will miss him.

I, too, got into kungfu films mainly because of my father (and mother also).

My family survived the Vietnam War and were sponsored by Christian missionaries to relocate into the United States in the late 1970s.

Life was tough for my parents because they were young refugees, didn't speak much English, didn't have a home or car and had to learn how to survive by going to school with American high school kids while working at some pretty junk places at night. 

However, one way for them to ease the pressures while living as immigrants in the US was watching Chinese films, especially kungfu films.

For them, I guess they felt less alienated to see Asian faces on the screen.

Actually, my parents improved their English mainly because of kungfu films through the English dub or subtitles (though often times poorly translated and cut off).

Anyway, again, my condolences and wishing you and your family the strength to heal during in this time of mourning.

Michael

I'm sorry to hear such sad news and I wish you a lot of courage to go on on life.

I lost a lot of my family members between 1991 and 1993 (seven members, beginning with my father) and between 2007 to 2013 (one per year, beginning with my mother and 10 months later her mother) and last year, I lost three members of my family, two during Christmas holidays, so, I understand a lot how you feel and I sincerely share your sorrow.

Edited by ShawAngela

My heartfelt condolences for your loss. I still miss my parents every day, but I learnt to live without them, somehow. It will not be easy but you will continue your path, even if you do not know how right now. Give yourself time. I hope you find comfort, and wish you much strength in this difficult time.

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang

Sending you love and strength, my friend.

One day you will think about your dad and you will smile, but for now, you need to look after YOU and when you don't feel strong, that is fine. That is normal.

Grieve, cry, let it all out. When you want to talk, talk. Don't hold it in or cut yourself off. 

Take good care of yourself.

That is sound advice from @Karlos and I include my condolences and prayers for your consolation. 

I didn't get introduced to or bond over MA films with my father, but we enjoyed watching the old Tarzan films, Star Trek, Westerns, and early Bond movies. And on Saturday afternoons, that always sparked a wrestling match. He passed away in 2013. I can certainly relate to your sense of loss. The first year is always difficult. Time and distance help, so that the remembrance of him becomes more of a sad fondness than a gut-wrenching heartache. Know that part of your strength is sharing your sorrow with your family. It's an important part of the grieving process. Don't deny yourself or them that. It will draw you closer and help strengthen each of you.

Again, I am saddened by your loss.

My deepest condolences to you and your family for your sad loss. If there's anything we can do, feel free to reach out.

Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. My father and my uncle were the ones who got me into kung fu movies and I felt the same way when my uncle lost his battle with brain cancer in 2005. I always thought of the members here as a second family and if you need anything, feel free to let any of us know. 

So sorry for your loss,my condolences to you and your family.

Edited by sym8

Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and the family.

If there is anything the KFF community can do for you, kindly reach out to us as many of us will be there & willing to assist.

Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:30 AM, SMK said:

I also share similar memories of my father and I bonding over kung fu movies, particularly Sammo films.

It's also similar for me, I've watched martial arts movies with my father as well, he was always more into the contemporary movies than the traditional shapes. 

Thank you everyone. You have no idea how much I appreciate all the positive wishes, condolences, and your personal stories.

I don't have many places on the web that I would call, "home" but this place to me is. For those who don't know I'm a holdover from back in the Kung Fu Cinema days when the late great Linn Hayes was there and before that I was part of the KFSS (Kung Fu Super Stars) Yahoo group. I never really was the most prominent poster but I was always so impressed with the wealth of knowledge and love of martial arts movies possessed by all of the wonderful people whom frequent here and I've learned so much from all of you.

I'm trying to take it one day at a time and hopefully with time the pain will lessen and I just wanted to let you all know from the bottom of my heart, that I appreciate everything said here. Again, thank you...

I wish you the best of luck, hope and strength. As much as I read, I’m pretty sure you have such a strong bound with your loved one that he will never really disappear, like all good loving people never do. The flesh vanishes, the loved soul is immortal.

Be strong and let the soul gently live in your world.

Peace.

PS: To ease the pean, I actually uses Sammo Hung, Stephen Chow and One Upon a time in China as a cheer-up remedy. Don’t know if it works for everyone but that’s my advice.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux