I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Iron_Leopard

Maggie Cheung or Michelle Yeoh?

I'm not knowledgeable enough in these martial arts era's artists, but I would say Michelle Yeoh. It seems to me that she has more abilities in the few martial arts movies I saw her in, though I also saw a TVB series in which appeared Maggie Cheung (I think that it was her first role in a TVB series, maybe the only one, I don't know) and she was very good (it was The Fallen Family).

Edited by ShawAngela

Depends on what you're looking for in my opinion. They have different backgrounds and carreers. Michelle Yeoh appears to me as a true exploitation ma artist with a few drama role, for Maggie Cheung it's the other way around. So, both were legendary with their own audiences, Maggie Cheung retired a few years back, so maybe Michelle Yeoh is more famous for the moment.

PS: As much as I love Michelle Yeoh, Brigitte Lin is my hero ❤️

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

Both are legends in their own right. Michelle as a martial artist and Maggie Cheung as a flat-out actress (with martial art moments). I don’t know why but, for me, Maggie is more iconic. It could be because I’ve had the world’s biggest crush on her since I was a teenager though.

Both are great legendary actresses but I would give the slight edge to Maggie.

Michelle have the edge for action roles but Maggie owns the dramatic roles she were in like in movies like Clean, In The Mood For Love, Center Stage, Son Of Exile, Comrade: Almost A Love Story, The Soong Sisters, A Fishy Story, The Story Of Rose aka Lost Romance, As Tears Goes By.

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I also saw a TVB series in which appeared Maggie Cheung (I think that it was her first role in a TVB series, maybe the only one, I don't know) and she was very good (it was The Fallen Family).

I have seen also seen her in the following TVB series: Police Cadet '84, Rainbow Round My Shoulder & The Yang's Saga  (which featured just about all the TVB stars at the time & she played Fairy of the Nine Heavens).

3 hours ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

PS: As much as I love Michelle Yeoh, Brigitte Lin is my hero

She is also number #1 in my book. I think the pic in my signature give it away. 😎

Agree with the general sentiment. Michelle is the more legendary action actress but Maggie is a much better actress in terms of drama or comedy. To each their own.

While Maggie Cheung has certainly done more movies, I'd say Michelle Yeoh was one of the world best action actresses. I can't think of another woman who got so close to up staging Jackie Chan in one of his movies, that is after he became a star, in terms of fight scenes and stunts. I think Michelle Yeoh was the complete package in terms of an action actress. 

Michelle Yeoh all the way. 

As iconic as Maggie Cheung may be, I'm hard pressed to watch her in most of her films because it seems like she's always playing nasally whining chick. Gets on my nerves.

36 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

As iconic as Maggie Cheung may be, I'm hard pressed to watch her in most of her films because it seems like she's always playing nasally whining chick. Gets on my nerves.

That is how she was cast in her early career, but she did soon end up with more serious roles.

Michelle all day when it comes to fists and feet but if I was directing a serious non action movie then Maggie wins hands down.Two different kind of actresses,two different outcomes.👍

Both ladies are great at what they do but it is unfair to compare one against the other as they mostly focus in different genre - Michelle in mostly action while Maggie in mostly drama/comedy.

If I were to compare legendary actresses in the same genre AND same time frame then for action I would do Michelle Yeoh or Yukari Oshima or Kara Hui or Moon Lee

And for drama it would be Maggie Cheung or Brigitte Lin or Anita Mui or Carina Lau or Sandra Kwan or Joey Wang.

Has Maggie Cheung ever had a straight up fist fight in a film? I know she throws down in Heroic Trio and Hero but they're more fantasy-style fights. Has she ever had an actual martial arts-type fight?

Neither are martial artists. Michelle was a dancer. Both are Miss Hong Kong, as I recall. As far as artsy movies, Maggie Cheung, but for box office and international name recognition, Michelle wins, hands down. Maggie also burned out on the shallowness of the HK scene, so she seems to have stepped back permanently from film since 2010. I wonder what she thinks of Crazy Rich Asians? Cultural pride or gauche materialism/nationalism. Neither had kids, interestingly enough. I know one thing, Michelle loves money, she's married a few rich guys....LOL! I mean TV viewers probably recognize her in the USA, England, etc, you can't say that for Maggie, and honestly, I doubt she would care.

6 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Both are Miss Hong Kong, as I recall.

It's interesting that neither of them were really that sexualized. I don't mean we should sexualize them but since they were massive leading ladies, it's surprising neither of them did anything all that risque. Even Kara Hui posed nude.

39 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Neither are martial artists. Michelle was a dancer. Both are Miss Hong Kong, as I recall. As far as artsy movies, Maggie Cheung, but for box office and international name recognition, Michelle wins, hands down. Maggie also burned out on the shallowness of the HK scene, so she seems to have stepped back permanently from film since 2010. I wonder what she thinks of Crazy Rich Asians? Cultural pride or gauche materialism/nationalism. Neither had kids, interestingly enough. I know one thing, Michelle loves money, she's married a few rich guys....LOL! I mean TV viewers probably recognize her in the USA, England, etc, you can't say that for Maggie, and honestly, I doubt she would care.

Michelle Yeoh was Miss Malaysia and Miss Moomba, as for Maggie Cheung she was only runner-up at Miss HK. Michelle Yeoh has a solid dancing and kung-fu background, Maggie Cheung was only a model and worked in advertisment. But Yeoh, Like Moon Lee by the way, practiced martial arts a lot for d&b movies, especially wushu, which makes her a « onscreen » great martial artist in my opinion. Proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

18 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

it's surprising neither of them did anything all that risque.

Neither one of them had to.

Both of their career took off early on and both were being nominated for Best Actress & Best Supporting Actress many times. 

Michelle never won but Maggie won plenty of times, Maggie holds the record for the most Best Actress Award wins at both the Golden Horse & the HK Film Awards. She is also the first Asian to win at the Cannes Film Festival.

3 minutes ago, thekfc said:

Neither one of them had to.

Both of their career took off early on and both were being nominated for Best Actress & Best Supporting Actress many times. 

Michelle never won but Maggie won plenty of times, Maggie holds the record for the most Best Actress Award wins at both the Golden Horse & the HK Film Awards. She is also the first Asian to win at the Cannes Film Festival.

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose I've never really delved into Maggie's filmography. I've mostly seen her in cutesy roles...usually in kung fu films. I think I've yet to see any of her dramatic stuff. I tried to sit through In the Mood for Love when I was about 18 and just couldn't do it. Maybe I need to revisit that film. It is, after all, a supposed classic.

24 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

Michelle Yeoh was Miss Malaysia and Miss Moomba, as for Maggie Cheung she was only runner-up at Miss HK. Michelle Yeoh has a solid dancing and kung-fu background, Maggie Cheung was only a model and worked in advertisment. But Yeoh, Like Moon Lee by the way, practiced martial arts a lot for d&b movies, especially wushu, which makes her a « onscreen » great martial artist in my opinion. Proof is in the pudding.

I guess you could call Michelle a wu shu stylist, though she has said in numerous interviews that she is not a real martial artist. She just does what the show her. I am sure she could have easily knocked out a wu shu form, but Wu Shu forms are not real martial arts, more of a dance. I spent 4 years training in it, so I kind of know the difference. There is no application taught of the forms, no drills for body toughening, bag work was just punching non stop on a bag for fitness (as many as you could in 60 seconds, not real boxing) and the forms are made up of random moves with no basis on any self defense or warrior usage. Now, Sanda, that is a martial art. From what I read, she said she gets up in the morning and throws kicks while she brushes her teeth. NOW, as far as looking good on screen, my Wu Shu coach said she was the best in the 80's and 90's, with Cynthia Khan a close second. I think Moon did Tae Kwon Do, so there is a difference. Anyway, that is my definition of martial arts VS martial dance performance. Looks great though!

It worth mentionning that Maggie Cheung did a lot of drama movies in France when she was married with Olivier Assayas, she won best actress at Cannes for « Clean » a movie about drug addiction, making a drama turn in her carreer.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

4 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I guess you could call Michelle a wu shu stylist, though she has said in numerous interviews that she is not a real martial artist. She just does what the show her. I am sure she could have easily knocked out a wu shu form, but Wu Shu forms are not real martial arts, more of a dance. I spent 4 years training in it, so I kind of know the difference. There is no application taught of the forms, no drills for body toughening, bag work was just punching non stop on a bag for fitness (as many as you could in 60 seconds, not real boxing) and the forms are made up of random moves with no basis on any self defense or warrior usage. Now, Sanda, that is a martial art. From what I read, she said she gets up in the morning and throws kicks while she brushes her teeth. NOW, as far as looking good on screen, my Wu Shu coach said she was the best in the 80's and 90's, with Cynthia Khan a close second. I think Moon did Tae Kwon Do, so there is a difference. Anyway, that is my definition of martial arts VS martial dance performance. Looks great though!

For sure, that’s why she’s an « on screen » stylist or artist. I practiced Wu Shu too, and I felt it was martial arts, at least on my definition, which is mastering our own body to face nature. But I agree with you, the result on screen, whatever she practiced is damn impressive, by Michelle Yeoh or Moon Lee.

Personally I think Moon Lee looks the best and most convincing when fighting on screen out of all of them from that era, but Michelle is also amazing.