NoKUNGFUforYU

Asian DVD Club is no more...

Sad news from Reddit-

level 1
3 points·1 day ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

Unofficial Update: I do believe the SysOp for ADC  has retired. I would like to thank him for keeping ADC alive as long as he did. It has been fun torrenting at ADC and I will miss it and the friends I made there. My apologies to all those new Invitees that joined ADC not too long ago. Sorry your time here was so short. Thanks to the other members of Staff for keeping ADC going, especially during the last several years. Thanks to all the ADC members: uploaders, downloaders and forum rats. At this point, this channel is free for members to talk together about other matters such as other torrent sites to flee to. I will stay logged into the ADC Channel for a while in case I am needed for some unknown reason. This update is unofficial since a senior staff member did not make it and I am a low ranking member of staff.

If true this is sad news indeed and whilst not totally unexpected quite a shock! But it being an unofficial update I'm still clinching to that last bit of hope.

They have been struggling to keep the doors open with no donations, etc. I hate to say this, but the genre fans for Kung fu are a little more frugal than horror buffs, hence Cinemaggedon is basically bullet proof. Anyway, too little, too late. I will keep doing my custom thing. It was sort of a mixed situation. There was stuff I would think of posting here and there, but FLK just kept reselling it. Anyway, back to subbing my customs! 

1 hour ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I hate to say this, but the genre fans for Kung fu are a little more frugal than horror buffs,

I dont mind frugal, but I think we can be a cheap bunch sometimes. Though that statement does not apply to every fan out there. I'm out of touch with the horror genre, but I never got the impression these fans were as picky about releases?. Dont get me wrong, I know fans seek out the best versions/prints or special editions. But do horror releases get picked apart, like the recent 88 Films, Jackie Chan BR output?. Then again many of these indie Kung Fu films, were sold cheap for so long in stores/online. Which undervalued the fllms a lot. Putting moviess online for free, after someone has spent hours of work, is just something you wouldnt expect from a Dean Shek screen character, cheap and low. Yet there seems to be an weird badge of honor, in getting stuff put on YouTube first. I could be way off here, just the impressions I get from readng online forum content.

Edited by DragonClaws

19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm out of touch with the horror genre, but I never got the impression these fans were as picky about releases?.

They obviously do appreciate widescreen, uncut, great PQ etc but it is audio which makes huge difference. No such hassle with mono, remix, cantonese, mandarin, old and new dubs.

It`s just english or if alternate foreign audio track available good to have that too with proper subtitles, no dubtitles or those are reason to complain. But it`s nowhere as picky as seems in asian cinema.

Edited by Tex Killer

20 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

They have been struggling to keep the doors open with no donations, etc. I hate to say this, but the genre fans for Kung fu are a little more frugal than horror buffs, hence Cinemaggedon is basically bullet proof. Anyway, too little, too late. I will keep doing my custom thing. It was sort of a mixed situation. There was stuff I would think of posting here and there, but FLK just kept reselling it. Anyway, back to subbing my customs! 

If it's really just a matter of donations; which i personally highly doubt. The admin can feel free to contact me and I'll gladly provide them the money to keep ADC going for another year!

7 minutes ago, laagi said:

If it's really just a matter of donations; which i personally highly doubt. The admin can feel free to contact me and I'll gladly provide them the money to keep ADC going for another year!

The last time it went down I did contact them about how to send in donations but never got a reply.

4 minutes ago, thekfc said:

The last time it went down I did contact them about how to send in donations but never got a reply.

Which is really odd... Only to resurrect the damn thing and have it disappear a few months later again. I really liked ADC not just for the content but also the community. Felt like a bit of home. So this abrupt end makes me sad and mad at the same time. Why didn't the admin inform the community or even talk to those close to him. I'm pretty sure things could have worked out. Just like when kungfucinema went down and found a new home here :smile

3 hours ago, laagi said:

Why didn't the admin inform the community or even talk to those close to him. I'm pretty sure things could have worked out. Just like when kungfucinema went down and found a new home here :smile

It's frustrating when this happen's, I used to moderate on another general movie site, for a good decade it ran. Then one day, we found out the owner had just left it to rot, no goodbye or explanation or anything. We had amassed a lot of information on it's datebase, and small group of us intended to write a book with the content we had. Shorty after, the site was taken down, nd we were unable to buy it ourselves or save it in any way.

Edited by DragonClaws

This is indeed sad news. I've been a Member with ADC for around 10 years or so. Though I didn't always visit, or download, I did check in from time to time, contributed and even donated when I found time to update some of my older DVDs or check out an obscure movie. I still had 3 invites available. Because of the community and interface, it was the only source I needed. I wonder what could have ultimately shut the doors? Were do we go now? not familiar with other sites aside from Avistaz.    

There's asiancinema.me. and cinemaggedon. I don't think there's anything in English that is on the level. The choice is really build up asiancinema, which has a pretty thin selection, but easier access to join, or cinemaggedon, but you need to filter through to find martial arts stuff that can be listed as comedy, action, horror or sci fi. I have a facebook page as well for everyone-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2153498128204257/2154089711478432/?comment_id=2154316428122427&notif_id=1553156049099940&notif_t=group_comment_reply

That's a shame. I never got my ratio up enough to do any invites. You have to load up a lot, and comcast caps our downloads. With Netflix and Youtube, it's easy to go over in the SF bay area. I would say CG is a good option. Maybe a little tough if you want strict Asian cinema, but a lot of stuff on there if you look hard enough. Plus, lots of American martial arts b titles and C and D titles you wouldn't find on ADC, etc.

Good riddance. Now people might actually buy shit so that companies actually see a demand for official releases.

Hopefully the wrecking ball comes down on Wu Tang Collection and FLK as well for stealing custom work and reaping the benefits. I'm retiring from the bootleg scene after Hitman in the Hand of Buddha anyway, and will no longer be releasing customs (at least not openly).

Patience and demand works, we already have the official and remastered releases of Blade of Fury, Pedicab Driver, No Retreat No Surrender, The Dragon's Snake Fist, Drunken Master II, and Wheels on Meals we have waited years for. Lots more to come, even IFD are restoring their catalogue. Soon we could see Ninja Terminator on Blu Ray in 2.35:1.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber

Man that sucks…. especially for all the custom English dubbing and subbing jobs done by many members.

Lots of german dvds or japanese dvds aren't English friendly if you buy them from amazon.

The pinku project was pretty awesome too..

I loved also all the tokusatsu shows in there… buying them is usually extremly expensive..

There is a couple of 70s  & 80s animated tv shows that aren't very easy to find also.

5 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

Does anyone know the #irc channel, or whatever it is? 

#rizon or something? Appreciate the help, thank you.

From the web (not confirmed)

http://irc.lc/rizon/asiandvdclub/irctc 

Server: irc://irc.rizon.net/asiandvdclub Channel: #asiandvdclub

21 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Wu Tang Collection and FLK

I was wondering if they could be the same under two different names ? I ask for this because when Wu Tang Collection showed the movie The quadrals of the Los on youtube, soon after (or at the same moment, since I don't regularly visit the site), FLK was selling the movie on dvd...

Edited by ShawAngela

Latest news I found:

<animay> Official Update: KAKERU made his offer and SysOp did not reply. I believe SysOp has closed down ADC. Do not be too harsh with his actions. I personally believe he gave us two extra years to torrent together before shutting ADC down. Thanks to Senior Moderator Mastameta for running the Invite Program and for fixing some security problems as best he could. Thanks to miamaria for getting <animay> the TotW back up and running weekly. Thanks also to the other Torrent Moderators who, like myself, tried to make sure the uploads conformed to current ADC standards and policies. And finally, thanks to all our members who were with us over the years. I am calling this update official in that I believe SysOp has shut down ADC and he may very well not make an official announcement himself.

Looks gone for good. It was a great site for fans. Over 8 years I've downloaded 100s of movies from it and uploaded 100s in return. It was a give and take sharing site. Too bad it disappeared without a final warning.

17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I was wondering if they could be the same under two different names ? I ask for this because when Wu Tang Collection showed the movie The quadrals of the Los on youtube, soon after (or at the same moment, since I don't regularly visit the site), FLK was selling the movie on dvd...

I doubt. FLK is not know to give freebies but rather for charging an arm and a leg for their cheap quality DVDs, many, if not most, of which were custom made by others.

Edited by bigrogie
corrections