Jump to content

I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

legendarycurry

Films about Sasaki Kojiro

Recommended Posts

I find him just as interesting as Musashi but I cant seem to find any films centered on him as a character. Any recommendations,sites to get DVDs or anything else Kojiro related is appreciated.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point well-taken about Kojiro. Because in the Musashi films, Kojiro gets as much attention as Musashi.  

To answer your question, yes, I remember seeing a film where the Main character was Kojiro but I don't remember the title or the actor.

Although Kojiro is so well known for his extra long sword, there is also another Swordsman that hardly anyone knows about, who also used a long-type weapon, a bamboo lance.  His name was Takada Matabei, and he fought Musashi too.  The Takada technique reminds me of the other technique, Satsuma Jigen-ryu which combined both sword technique and spear technique into a single one.  In other words, the right hand holds the sword-handle but the left arm out-stretches so that the left hand holds the blade by its tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sasaki Kojiro - 1950

Kojiro's Turning Swallow Cut - 1961  (great film! well written)

Kojiro - 1967

There is a sequel to the 1967 Kojiro film as well. I think one of these two films features a duel with a spearman.

Did Kojiro face a Chinese swordsman at some point? I saw something about this somewhere.

Edited by odioustrident

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, odioustrident said:

Sasaki Kojiro - 1950

Kojiro's Turning Swallow Cut - 1961  (great film! well written)

Kojiro - 1967

There is a sequel to the 1967 Kojiro film as well. I think one of these two films features a duel with a spearman.

Did Kojiro face a Chinese swordsman at some point? I saw something about this somewhere.

No, I don't know about Kojiro facing off against a Chinese Swordsman.  All I know is about a Chinese swordsman going up against Musashi.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Sasaki Kojiro (Hiroshi Inagaki, 1967) DVD5 NTSC

Kojiro Poster

Kojiro (1967)

Sasaki Kojiro tells the story of the genius who staked his love, glory, and life on a duel with the supreme master of the sword, Miyamoto Musashi (Tatsuya Nakadai). Oscar winning Hiroshi Inagaki directs this epic motion picture based on...

IMDB Rating:        7.4/10 (44 votes)  tt0061874  312102
 Released: 01 Apr 1967 (51 years ago)
 Runtime: 151 Mins
 Countries: Japan  Languages: Japanese
 Directed By: Hiroshi Inagaki Susumu Kodama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, odioustrident said:

Sasaki Kojiro - 1950

Kojiro's Turning Swallow Cut - 1961  (great film! well written)

Kojiro - 1967

There is a sequel to the 1967 Kojiro film as well. I think one of these two films features a duel with a spearman.

Did Kojiro face a Chinese swordsman at some point? I saw something about this somewhere.

Thank you! Sorry I didn't get a notification that anyone posted in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, Shosetsu said:

Point well-taken about Kojiro. Because in the Musashi films, Kojiro gets as much attention as Musashi.  

To answer your question, yes, I remember seeing a film where the Main character was Kojiro but I don't remember the title or the actor.

Although Kojiro is so well known for his extra long sword, there is also another Swordsman that hardly anyone knows about, who also used a long-type weapon, a bamboo lance.  His name was Takada Matabei, and he fought Musashi too.  The Takada technique reminds me of the other technique, Satsuma Jigen-ryu which combined both sword technique and spear technique into a single one.  In other words, the right hand holds the sword-handle but the left arm out-stretches so that the left hand holds the blade by its tip.

Yamada Matabei sounds very interesting too! I have seen and own the Toshiro Mifune Musashi trilogy and Kojiro is naturally a major part of Duel at Ganry Island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

 Sasaki Kojiro (Hiroshi Inagaki, 1967) DVD5 NTSC

Kojiro Poster

Kojiro (1967)

Sasaki Kojiro tells the story of the genius who staked his love, glory, and life on a duel with the supreme master of the sword, Miyamoto Musashi (Tatsuya Nakadai). Oscar winning Hiroshi Inagaki directs this epic motion picture based on...

IMDB Rating:        7.4/10 (44 votes)  tt0061874  312102
 Released: 01 Apr 1967 (51 years ago)
 Runtime: 151 Mins
 Countries: Japan  Languages: Japanese
 Directed By: Hiroshi Inagaki Susumu Kodama

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 11:28 AM, legendarycurry said:

Yamada Matabei sounds very interesting too! 

No, not Yamada but Takada. Takada Matabei.  Expert at yarijitsu (spear).  I would rank his prowess as high as Kojiro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 2:29 AM, Shosetsu said:

No, not Yamada but Takada. Takada Matabei.  Expert at yarijitsu (spear).  I would rank his prowess as high as Kojiro.

I see, my mistake. Does sound interesting indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add some more about Takada Matabei, he also appeared in a TV series about Musashi.  I don't remember the name of the actor who played Takada because there have been so many TV shows about Musashi.  Does anybody here have a list of all the Musashi TV shows? We already have a list about the theatrical movies but how about all the TV shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×