legendarycurry

Blu-Ray Player recommendations

I'm shocked that there's actually someone else besides me that has not made the jump to BR yet! :wink:

There's only ONE choice when it comes to BR players - OPPO Digital. Oppo produced the best DVD players during the 2000's and their flagship player, the 983H, scored a perfect 100 on Secrets of Home Theater HIFI's Benchmark Tests. NO OTHER DVD player ever got a perfect score on those tests. Oppo was also the pioneer of upconverting technology in DVD players - that is the player will upconvert a standard disc resolution to high definition of your display. Once BR players came out, Oppo continued to produce the BEST players on the market as reviewed by Secrets and other home theater websites. Oppo reached their pinnacle in 2018 after producing their Ultra 4k machines: UDP-203 and 205. Unfortunately they felt they could not produce a higher quality machine, so they stopped production. They are only in business to service existing machines. Their Ultra 4K machines are selling on eBay for $3000-$4000 NIB if you can find one. If you can find ANY used BR machine in good condition, it is well worth it. They produced many BR machines, but their most popular ones were the BDP-95 and BDP-105. Suggest going to oppodigital.com and click on Support to see all of their machines. ANY used Oppo BR player will be better than any new player you buy today. Happy searching! :yociexp85:

This isn't helpful to you but I didn't have the budget to buy a super expensive Blu Ray player so went cheap. And, to be honest, it was a fine purchase. I've had no problems, really. I mean, it might not produce those deeper blacks tech heads talk about but I've had no issues with it playing disks at all.

So, if you can't afford a $500 Blu Ray player, there's nothing wrong with getting a well reviewed cheaper option.

I personally prefer another option, one samsung bluray (just for ripping) drive with a raspberry and an 2tb external drive. Then I can have a media center (with kodi based project) that can read anything from dvd to bluray to any video file and organised all my movies as a cool digital library that I can watch on any screen. The overall cost is approximately $250 for a complete media center.

For an out-of-the-box solution, check that awesome bundle https://osmc.tv/vero/

Edited by Rodolphe Dux

If you have the  budget for an expensive player like the Opp (which will cost you a heap of change) then go for it but there are alternative options out there which are just as good or even better depending on what you are looking for.

Note: Going for these top end players is just not enough, you also need the supporting equipments (Receiver/speakers, right TV, etc) to enjoy their full benefits and that would add to your cost.

My recommendation would be to look for a region free player (you can get good ones for less that $200) or future-proof yourself by investing in a 4K UHD player (with HDR10/Dolby Vision support if possible).

Decided to make the jump to 4k Bluray last year and bought myself a customized region-free LG UP970, which cost me $379. It can play pretty much any standard format and comes with great features. Very satisfied with no regrets 😁

https://www.220-electronics.com/lg-up970-region-free-4k-ubd-ultra-hd-smart-blu-ray-player-multi-region-110-220-240-volts.html