I am recently new . to kung fu...and I really admire  actor LO LIEH and his work in the old kung fu movies. He is really great at playing villainous characters. I LOOKED online to see if thier are any interveiws or article's on him...beside the same internet Bio basics....I can't find anything really on him..

If anyone has met him or has information on him...I would like to know..

I know he was born in Indonesia in 1939 ..His Birth name is Wong Lap Tat...parents sent him to China in his teenage years...started at Shaw Brothers in 1962.. Was married 4 times I read..Died in 2002...

Edited by faridehlolieh
Added something

He also played good guys in several Shaws' movies and he was active in TV series too. And he was even able to play comic roles, a true great actor.

I once came across the biography of an actress who was a kind of hidden concubine to him and wha I read about Lo Lieh's behaviour towards her (who finallyt comitted suicide, if I remember well) wasn't very glorious for Lo Lieh, but I don't know how true are the facts related in this article...

By the way, werlcome to the forum.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:07 AM, ShawAngela said:

He also played good guys in several Shaws' movies and he was active in TV series too. And he was even able to play comic roles, a true great actor.

I once came across the biography of an actress who was a kind of hidden concubine to him and wha I read about Lo Lieh's behaviour towards her (who finallyt comitted suicide, if I remember well) wasn't very glorious for Lo Lieh, but I don't know how true are the facts related in this article...

By the way, werlcome to the forum.

This is really interesting...Could you please name the actress or maybe post the article..

Thank you...

@ShawAngela could please post the name of this actress or the article that you read of her being all Lo Lieh mistress who committed suicide..Thanks 

On 2/12/2019 at 1:47 AM, faridehlolieh said:

I am recently new . to kung fu...and I really admire  actor LO LIEH and his work in the old kung fu movies. He is really great at playing villainous characters. I LOOKED online to see if thier are any interveiws or article's on him...beside the same internet Bio basics....I can't find anything really on him..

If anyone has met him or has information on him...I would like to know..

I know he was born in Indonesia in 1939 ..His Birth name is Wong Lap Tat...parents sent him to China in his teenage years...started at Shaw Brothers in 1962.. Was married 4 times I read..Died in 2002...

Edited by faridehlolieh

Well, I don't remember the actress' name, nor on which site I found the article, maybe on baike baidu, but I'm not sure.

I'll try to find it when I'll have a little while, I hope that you aren't in the hurry, because I'm very busy...

Ok, I found the page. I don't know if you read Chinese (I don't) and I give you the link to the translated page, but these translations are so strange : they call Lo Lieh " Rolle " and the actress " Music Rythm", probably litteral translations of their Chinese names...

There is a picture of the actress on Lo Lieh's page on which she is very beautiful.

Actress' link :

https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=zh-CHS&to=en&dl=fr&a=https%3A%2F%2Fbaike.baidu.com%2Fitem%2F%E4%B9%90%E9%9F%B5

Lo Lieh's link :

https://www.translatoruser-int.com/translate?&from=zh-CHS&to=en&csId=9e0b3473-e2e4-479b-8237-a66580a08b94&usId=2fbc2ef7-901c-4889-b782-18f3494c4c18&dl=fr&dt=2019%2f2%2f14 11%3a46&h=1XgUoCXYvcR98e9b5eLAQj8tzrjpwlO3&a=https%3a%2f%2fbaike.baidu.com%2fitem%2f%E7%BD%97%E7%83%88

Original pages :

https://baike.baidu.com/item/罗烈/15164

https://baike.baidu.com/item/乐韵

If anyone knows the name of the actress, let us know, please.

I just realized that her name is mentioned on the search button on the translated page : Lok Yun

Hkmdb also names her as Yue Yun and mentions only one movie in her filmography : Zen Master 6, but baidu seems to mention more titles .

Edited by ShawAngela

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the article...

Still love and Admire his work...but the interview gave me some insight as to what he was like as a person...Just like any other person...he had some Character Flaws....

By the way..is it just me...but I think he was a very handsome man...especially when he was young and just started out at Shaw Brothers. His eyes...is what get me..They are piercing and he conveys so much through them☺️

I "met " him through his bad guys roles, and I wasn't a real fan at that time (exactly the same as for Chen Hung Lieh), but when I discovered him in his good guys roles, I thought that he finally was a real good actor, since he was able to make me feel angry against him when he was bad, and happy when he was good.

And yes, he was a very hadsome guy with his beautiful eyes. Did you took a look at all the pictures of the photo album on the link ?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but your above post makes me think that maybe you are a woman, right ? And your alias sounds like the first name Farida, but maybe I'm totally wrong !

I still have a lot of series to watch in which he played and...he is in my long list of favourite actors since a while, now (maybe you read some of my other posts and know that my top favourite are Adam Cheng and David Chiang (and Kong Ban and Yueh Hua), but I love so much a lot of other actors !! )

22 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I "met " him through his bad guys roles, and I wasn't a real fan at that time (exactly the same as for Chen Hung Lieh), but when I discovered him in his good guys roles, I thought that he finally was a real good actor, since he was able to make me feel angry against him when he was bad, and happy when he was good.

And yes, he was a very hadsome guy with his beautiful eyes. Did you took a look at all the pictures of the photo album on the link ?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but your above post makes me think that maybe you are a woman, right ? And your alias sounds like the first name Farida, but maybe I'm totally wrong !

I still have a lot of series to watch in which he played and...he is in my long list of favourite actors since a while, now (maybe you read some of my other posts and know that my top favourite are Adam Cheng and David Chiang (and Kong Ban and Yueh Hua), but I love so much a lot of other actors !! )

Yes I am a female....😀😀 Alias is pronounced  Farah-Day...Recently just started really getting into Old Kung fu movies...Thank you for posting the pics of Lo LIEH...He was extremely Handsome and very talented. Like I said ..His Eye's.. they are so beautiful and can be very piercing...especially when he is playing a villian.He must of been a very private person because their is not alot of information on him.  Love to hear any other info on Lo Lieh if you have any... I also Like very much THE VENOM MOB movies... The 5 Deadly Venoms is CLASSIC...It broke my heart to read about Chiang Sheng passing away because him..Phillip Kwok and Lu Feng are my favorites of the Venoms.. I have seen most of their movies. I ALSO LIKE CHENG PEI PEI..she was Bad ass in Come drink with me and Crouching Tiger..Hidden Dragon.. I also like Ti Lung..Chen Kuan -tai..John Lui...And David Chiang too. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR WELCOMING ME AND POSTING THE ARTICLES AND PICTURES.

Does anyone have ever heard, watched, found any release of the following movie, please ?

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=20075&display_set=eng

No Chinese or Indonesian characters to search on the internet...

As for other actors/actresses, Lo Lieh's filmography has been updated on hkmdb and it seems that he is the lead in this unknown (for me) movie.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Lo Lieh in James Bond mode?, can anyone I-D movie this promotional still is lifted from?. 

It might well be a promotional still for a certain movie, though it looks like it's from the Southern Screen magazine (not that those don't have promo stills), but still the portrait style also suggest to me that it might have been from a photo shoot for the magazine. I could be wrong and it could be for a movie I don't recognise though.

It looks like a picture taken in the 70's-80's, but his haircut doesn't ring a bell for me in any of his action movies...maybe just a picture and that's all.

Nice one, thanks for sharing.

18 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

It might well be a promotional still for a certain movie, though it looks like it's from the Southern Screen magazine (not that those don't have promo stills), but still the portrait style also suggest to me that it might have been from a photo shoot for the magazine. I could be wrong and it could be for a movie I don't recognise though.

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It looks like a picture taken in the 70's-80's, but his haircut doesn't ring a bell for me in any of his action movies...maybe just a picture and that's all.

Nice one, thanks for sharing.

You have got it, it was from a Southern Screen magazine but not actually taken from any movie as far as I know.

Though the studio did sometime have screen test pictures, for films that never got made.

Looks about 24 in that picture. 

There was a promotional headshot photo with the greased hair and a leather jacket, looked like he was channeling James Dean or Brando aka Wild Bunch. I'm betting mid 60's...but I'm probably wrong. :cool: