I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
NoKUNGFUforYU

Anyone know what happened to ADC?

Here's a post from a few days ago on reddit:

From 4chan (/ptg/) so take it with a grain of salt, but...

AsianDVDClub News - About the down

The good news is that the server is still up, it's just not externally reachable right now. Not a hardware failure or anything like that.

The bad news is that it was intentional. Evidently auto-payment failed due to insufficient funds. The host claims they sent an email the day before they disconnected the network adapter (not much of a warning there...), but it was not received so I wasn't aware of the problem in advance.

They can also be slow to respond to tickets and they do not respond after hours or on weekends unless you pay for their managed support package. Which ADC doesn't have because it's rather expensive and we rarely need them to do anything. That's why it took so long to get to the bottom of things.

So.... Donation time?

Not sure what /ptg/ stands for (maybe private trackers general?) so that's all the info I've seen.  I feel like they went offline a couple years ago for over a month and then were miraculously revived.  I'm betting the same will happen this time around.

I hope to god it doesn't go the same path as BitHQ did last year. That being said, I've seen less activity on ADC in the past two years which may explain the lack of donations.

My ratio was just over the cut off mark, I was hoping to up that to at least 0.52 or thereabouts. Now with the server been down for a fortnight I'm worried, the member ShaolinWolf was doing a good job with all those (so far) unseen Mainland Chinese flicks.

I think that news was actually originally from Torrentinvites.org and there was no mention of donations. I believe that last line was tacked on.

I do wonder what the next steps are to get it live again... seems to have taken quite awhile if it’s just about paying the server bill.

4 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

Don't mean to be a conspiracy nut but could some government agency in cahoots with major studio corporations be trying to take down private torrent sites like ADC?

They can be busted like kickass torrents and the piratebay, and internet providers want them to go away. You're not a conspiracy nut, believe me. And if Chinese companies had their way, reeducation camps.Warner and Sony want them gone....

There are much larger and more relevant torrent sites out there other than ADC that would be targeted first. Also, Piratebay and Kickass were public, ADC is private. Although that really doesn’t matter legally, it does in terms of making it worth going after.

New update

AsianDVDClub is currently down

You've undoubtedly noticed that ADC has been down for the last 2 weeks. The good news is the host assures me that our server is still up, so it wasn't a hardware failure, takedown, database crash, or anything along those lines.

So what did happen? Well that's the bad news. In short, we have not received enough in donations recently to cover the bills and our host cut off access to our server until the account is paid in full. They claim to have sent an email warning about the impending disconnect but nothing of that sort was received so I wasn't notified of the problem in advance and we weren't able to take any action before ADC went offline. It took some time to get to the bottom of the matter due to their rather limited support hours (for non-managed accounts) and our conflicting schedules, along with being unable to access the DNS for a while due to being out of town. These factors significantly delayed putting up a public announcement like this.

To get to the heart of the matter, some months ADC receives enough in donations to cover the bills and has extra left over for a rainy day fund. But unfortunately that's not the case for all months and if there's a period with more bad months than good, the rainy day fund can run dry and there may not be enough in the account to cover the bills. There have been a couple of times in the past where this happened and I covered the shortage but I'm not able to do that at this time. One additional wrinkle this time is that because things have gotten to this point we owe the original amount plus a late fee and a disconnect penalty. Although we don't disclose ADC's exact costs out of somewhat paranoid reasons, suffice to say our hosting is not cheap but it's also much less than many other private trackers, especially large trackers.

If you want to help get ADC back online by donating through PayPal, you can do so by joining our IRC channel (#asiandvdclub @ Rizon) and sending a PM to gfk to get the details for the donation account where you can send money. Please wait for a response before sending any donations so you can be sure the money will go to the correct account. Donating through Bitcoin is not an option at this time since the host insists on being paid via either PayPal or credit card, however BTC donations will be possible again in the future after ADC is back online.

With any luck ADC will be back online soon. Once the server is re-connected, I'll perform some checks to make sure everything is working as it should and as long as everything checks out ADC will be available again shortly afterwards. This page will be manually updated as needed.