I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Gaijin84

UFC 229 discussion

I think it’s pretty obvious that Dana White and McGregor will say and do anything to hype a fight, so what happened afterwards isn’t really surprising. I wish Khabib had simply help the choke a few more seconds and put Conor to sleep as payback instead of leaving the ring to fight.

Khabib’s ultimate payback though would be if he retired and denied the two of the rematch and payday they are hoping for. He doesn’t have to prove anything anymore. My only fear is they hold Khabib’s winnings as a sort of ransom to force him to fight again. The whole business has really started to become like the WWE.

I love a good a shit-talker and so I typically love McGregor but even I felt like he went a little too far in the build up to this fight. Flex about your fighting skills all you want but attacking another person's religion just isn't cool. It was a weird angle that came across as McGregor not really knowing how to come at Khabib.

So, it makes sense that Khabib was angry. He didn't really need to do what he did after the fight and may suffer because of it but it was kind of understandable.

On 10/8/2018 at 3:43 AM, Koravec said:

Felt like I was watching WWE, found it quite humorous actually. 

23 hours ago, Gaijin84 said:

The whole business has really started to become like the WWE. 

They've been borrowing ideas from Pro-Wrestling for year's now, when there's huge amounts of money on a fight, how legit can it be?.

I think it's taking a darker turn though. I see fighters starting to disparage opponent's race and religion as hype for a fight. Look at Colby Covington's remarks about Khabib and his talk about Tyrone Woodley. If the UFC doesn't get things under control it's going to end up getting someone killed, and I don't mean the fighters themselves.

But hey, as long as you sell a lot of tickets and everyone gets paid, it's all good, right? 

3 hours ago, Gaijin84 said:

But hey, as long as you sell a lot of tickets and everyone gets paid, it's all good, right? 

Its the fight BUSINESS, so tickets and profts comes first, fighters and fans second.

3 hours ago, Gaijin84 said:

I think it's taking a darker turn though. I see fighters starting to disparage opponent's race and religion as hype for a fight. Look at Colby Covington's remarks about Khabib and his talk about Tyrone Woodley. If the UFC doesn't get things under control it's going to end up getting someone killed, and I don't mean the fighters themselves.

Very good points @Gaijin84.

We have to remember that boxing has been doing this for years. Muhammad Ali, while not offensive, was a classic shit talker. But look at Tyson. He threatened to eat Lennox Lewis' children and famously said to a reporter, "I'll fuck you in the ass until you love me, faggot." And brawls have broken out in the boxing ring on more than a few occasions.

People are treating this UFC brawl like it's something we have never seen before.

12 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

People are treating this UFC brawl like it's something we have never seen before.

Not at all surprised about the brawl. Disappointed that the sport has sunken to the level of allowing race baiting and bashing a fighter's religion to sell fights. But, I probably should have seen it coming, given the current state of politics and divisive issues.

51 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

We have to remember that boxing has been doing this for years. Muhammad Ali, while not offensive, was a classic shit talker.

Ali said his inspiration for his use of words, came from 1950's Pro-Wrestling sensation Gorgeous George, one of the first flamboyant talkers in the Business.

I thought the fight was a bit of a let down,McGregor looked awful at times and I think he gave up more than Khabib choked him out.Full credit to Khabib though he made McGregor look bad and give up(I think he just knocked the fight out of him)and as the saying goes there’s always somebody better.As for the afters I’ve seen a lot worse but the UFC need to clamp down on this because it seems every press conference every weigh in there’s nothing but trouble and explitives that are just getting out of hand but I don’t think they will because it sells

2 minutes ago, sym8 said:

As for the afters I’ve seen a lot worse but the UFC need to clamp down on this because it seems every press conference every weigh in there’s nothing but trouble and explitives that are just getting out of hand but I don’t think they will because it sells

I think its encouraged, they know their audience better than anyone, and most people will dig all the pre-fight hype. How much is done for the cameras, and how much is real, is hard to say.

Martial Arts, used to promote respect for yourself and your opponent, but MMA just about two guys knocking sevens shades of spit/blood our each other. It's something thats drawn crowds for thousands of years, and will continue to do so.

7 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I think its encouraged, they know their audience better than anyone, and most people will dig all the pre-fight hype. How much is done for the cameras, and how much is real, is hard to say.

Martial Arts, used to promote respect for yourself and your opponent, but MMA just about two guys knocking sevens shades of spit/blood our each other. It's something thats drawn crowds for thousands of years, and will continue to do so.

I don’t think any of it is for the cameras these guys just want to have a fight or start trouble because it’s what they do

3 minutes ago, sym8 said:

I don’t think any of it is for the cameras these guys just want to have a fight or start trouble because it’s what they do

Very true, but they also know that these pre-fight scuffles get people buzzing online, and the media love it  too. It helps to put eyes on their product. Sure there's a lot of legit fight that break out, but some of it will just be for T.V/exposure, just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Very true, but they also know that these pre-fight scuffles get people buzzing online, and the media love it  too. It helps to put eyes on their product. Sure there's a lot of legit fight that break out, but some of it will just be for T.V/exposure, just my opinion.

You are right but I do think now it seems to happen a lot because they are just violent people,like you said martial arts used to promote respect but not so much in the UFC or MMA,sometimes they shake hands and say what a great opponent he was but even that’s dying out now

I’ve been watching MMA events for about 5 years, starting with Shooto and Pancrase in 1993/1994 and have tried to watch every event or organization (big or small) that is available, whether on DVD, VHS, YouTube or downloadable. I just finished up with 2003. 

The sport did used to be about respect, depending on the organization and individual. Japan’s organizations were always respectful, no matter what. UFC started out as a circus with brawlers (i.e. Tank Abbot) but developed into a bit more refined system in the early 2000s. I don’t know exactly when it started to take a nastier turn, but I feel it was with Brock Lesnar coming over from WWE. After that the pay-per-view numbers became more important and the money started getting big.

Conor McGregor has just taken the WWE aspect along with the boxing PPV model and gone to the next level. It’s not really about how good you are at the sport, it’s how many people you can get to tune in. Recently Colby Covington, although a top fighter, didn’t just tout his ability, but how many PPV buys he could bring. It was almost his main reasoning for getting a title fight. That and he has constantly regarded his opponents as “filthy animals” and made a point to align himself with Trump at all opportunities. After Khabib beat Conor, Covington went on Twitter calling him a sheepf**ker and “Kabob.” I think this is just the beginning of a trend that is going to see things get nastier and nastier as the need to sell more and more PPVs continues.

It might just kill the sport altogether if serious injuries and riots start occurring at events.

35 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Both fighters have been suspended for 10 days for their brawl. The suspension began yesterday

Just ten days?, thats a holiday for those guys, perfect time to recover after the fight, or should I say mass brawl.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Just ten days?, thats a holiday for those guys, perfect time to recover after the fight, or should I say mass brawl.

Right - what's the point of a suspension? They aren't allowed to train for 10 days? Boo hoo. Take away money, that seems to be the only motivating factor here.

Btw, quite disappointed that Khabib is now talking about fighting Mayweather. I guess I overestimated his pride. I just hope he refuses to give Conor a rematch.