I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
chazgower01

Asian DVD Store in DC, NYC Baltimore area

Unfortunately, all the DVD stores in NYC’s Chinatown are gone. Your only chance is possibly some out on Main Street in Flushing, but those are mostly Chinese TV series with no English subs. As soon as downloading and streaming started to catch on, the retail stores began drying up. They saw the writing on the wall and reacted pretty quickly.

3 hours ago, Gaijin84 said:

Unfortunately, all the DVD stores in NYC’s Chinatown are gone. 

Noo! Sad times we are living in. I miss those old cheap double feature slim case DVDs.

10 hours ago, Koravec said:

Noo! Sad times we are living in. I miss those old cheap double feature slim case DVDs.

Yep, just about all the DVD stores are gone.

The only thing left are places that sell/rent "copies" of the current TV series/shows and the most recent movies.

Some of these places are slowly drying out due to streaming - some are still staying open for the "older" folks.

I used to pass at these places to get a "copy" of a TV series but I don't have to any more - I have the Sling TV Mandarin (Great Wall) package. I go it as a promo a few year back and kept it after the promo was over.

Some of the channels I get are CCTV, Phoenix, Hunan TV, China Movie Channel, China Global (CGTN), Jiangsu (JSBC), Shanghai Oriental TV, Zhejiang, Shenzhen TV and a few others. Most of the shows broadcast in Mandarin with no English subs but a very good amount have English subs.

I went to Flushing in 2016 and checked out a corner DVD store on Main Street. I had found three TVB series I had interest in and the guy at the kiosk asked me if I wanted subtitles or no subtitles. When I told him I wanted subs, he made one phone call and said wait five minutes. He went to the building right behind him and I got the series with English subs. I did find one very small shop in NYC Chinatown that was a very small downstairs shop I believe on Chrystie St. They had mostly TV series and music CDs, but I found a few movies. I ended up buying My Sassy Girl 2 for only $2.00.

I may possibly be going back to NYC in March if all goes as planned but I agree, Flushing Chinatown may be your best bet...I haven't been to Brooklyn's Chinatown as of yet, so if I do go, that is one area I may check out.

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I did find one very small shop in NYC Chinatown that was a very small downstairs shop I believe on Chrystie St. They had mostly TV series and music CDs, but I found a few movies.

That store is still there but like the other places still around they mostly deal with TV series and VCD (copies).

We had a thread on these places which detailed your trip in 2016 but I think that thread was lost when the forum went down.

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I did find one very small shop in NYC Chinatown that was a very small downstairs shop I believe on Chrystie St. They had mostly TV series and music CDs, but I found a few movies. 

That was a great shop - they had a ton of stuff (every rare IVL Shaw Bros VCD release) that you would order and pick up the following day as they would burn it to a DVD-R. Unfortunately that place is gone too, it was my go-to spot for a few years.

In Australia the situation is also pretty bad, with very few Asian DVD stores remaining in Sydney and Melbourne, though I would say Melbourne has slightly more than Sydney. Just a decade ago you could still easily find these stores in predominantly Asian suburbs.

On 10/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, Gaijin84 said:

That was a great shop - they had a ton of stuff (every rare IVL Shaw Bros VCD release) that you would order and pick up the following day as they would burn it to a DVD-R. Unfortunately that place is gone too, it was my go-to spot for a few years.

That place may have just recently closed.

I remember dropping by inside earlier in the year (or was it late last year) and they were still open.

About every other week or so I go to Wah Fung to get some roast duck as well as go to the playground across the street with the little one & wife but I mostly walk on Hester St and do not go any further towards Grand St (unless I get some fruits at the store next to the "D" train station). When I walk up the block I usually do not pay attention so I didn't really noticed if they were opened or closed.

Today, as I was in the area I decided to walk by and a restaurant is now there.

I think it is the same place we are talking about. I should have taken some pictures as they didn't change a thing, the front & side windows that use to display the DVD/VCD are still there - the restaurant didn't change much to the outside of the building except put up a new awning/sign (It looks like they also took over the store next door too).

10 hours ago, thekfc said:

Today, as I was in the area I decided to walk by and a restaurant is now there.

I think it is the same place we are talking about. I should have taken some pictures as they didn't change a thing, the front & side windows that use to display the DVD/VCD are still there - the restaurant didn't change much to the outside of the building except put up a new awning/sign (It looks like they also took over the store next door too).

Yup, that’s the spot. All the covers of the VCDs and DVDs were completely faded from being in the sun all day. I’m glad I was able to get what I got while it was open. If I had to guess, I would say it closed in late 2017 - early 2018.

That being said, all these movies that you would find (Mei Ah, Universe, MegaStar) are still out there, they are just online (dddhouse.com) or on private trackers (ADC). The means of obtaining them have just evolved with the times.

On 10/8/2018 at 3:01 PM, thekfc said:

We had a thread on these places which detailed your trip in 2016 but I think that thread was lost when the forum went down.

Yes my thread for my NYC trip was gone with the forum, but it's okay. I still have all my photos from that trip...only spent 4 days in NYC and 3 in my hometown in Westchester, but should plans go well, I plan to spend most of the week in NYC, giving me a chance to see more. Maybe I'll make time to find Angela Mao's restaurant ;) and I do want to see Brooklyn's Chinatown. All wasn't lost on my last trip...found a nifty gift shop in Flushing where I bought the Japanese DIY candy kits for my kids at half-price and had my first dose of bubble tea.

Orlando used to have a Chinatown. I went to a store in 2004 on my first trip here when my parents moved here. The store was closing and there was so much stuff between 80-90% off. I bought some DVDs, VCD, and even Storm Riders & Teddy Boy manhua titles, usually at least $150.00-$175.00 but only spent $22. However, it's now relegated to a small shopping plaza on Colonial Blvd. There is a big supermarket with a small DVD store in the entryway called Sun Star. I went there once and bought a few titles for $10 each. The rest of that area is now Little Saigon, focusing more on Vietnamese stores. There are even some shops, but they are like the stores in NYC Chinatown with the focus on VCDs and music CDs.

Edited by AlbertV