I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
galvatron1976

Fire Breaks Out on Film Set: Sharon Yeung Suffers Burns on Face

Fire Breaks Out on Film Set: Sharon Yeung Suffers Burns on Face

A fire broke out on the set of Lunar New Year movie, Welcome the Spring <大地回春>, and injured more than 20 artistes yesterday. Former TVB actress and action star, Sharon Yeung (楊盼盼) suffered second-degree burns on her face, while Malaysian actress, Joey Leung (梁祖儀) had minor burns on her legs. Although Law Kar Ying (羅家英) was on the filming set in Malaysia and witnessed the fire, he was not harmed.

How Did Fire Start?

Two video clips of the fire on the filming set of Welcome the Spring was leaked online today. As the fire spread uncontrollably, screams were heard in the background and people were seen running away from the flames.

xecutive producer Jack Lim (林德榮) and Director Nick Wong (黃罕銘) were apologetic over the fire accident at a press conference held today. “The director and I will take full responsibility over this accident. We apologize to the family members of all the injured artistes.”

Sharon’s Face is Not Disfigured

Returning to Hong Kong today, Law Kar Ying said he had already visited Sharon at the hospital, “Sharon’s condition is more stable now. The burns are of course very painful. I saw that there was a lot of anti-burn ointment on her entire face.” Law added, “Sharon had second-degree burns on her face, and third-degree burns on her arm.”

Doctors said that Sharon’s burns would not disfigure her face. After the blisters heal and the new skin surfaces, Sharon’s face should heal properly, but it is not clear how long she has to stay in the hospital. The 60-year-old actress is reportedly not angry over the filming accident and not blaming anyone over her injury. She updated her Instagram today and thanked everyone for their concern.

Among the injured actors, fifteen were sent to the hospital, and a few included the elderly. One elderly man suffered burns and had a spinal shift, but did not get surgery because of his advanced age.

Nat Chan Outraged by Fire Accident

Actor Nat Chan (陳百祥), who also suffered burns on his hand while filming a movie in the past and was hospitalized for 40 days, expressed his outrage over the fire accident on the set of Welcome the Spring. “In this age, it’s very easy to use computer graphics to fake a fire scene. Why is it necessary to film using a real fire? Otherwise, filming these heroic action films would mean a lot of people would have to die?”

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/fire-breaks-out-on-film-set-sharon-yeung-and-20-people-suffer-burns/

Edited by galvatron1976

I read about this last night. Director Nick Wong and producer Jack Lim posted a video apologizing to the victims and their families, and are taking full responsibility for the accident, from what it sounds like they are planning to possibly pay the hospital bills for the injured.

"A fire took place on the set, over 20 actors were injured and hospitalized. Some actors suffer burns. I hope everyone would give us time to arrange for treatment for the actors. Then we will answer to everyone. The director and I will take the full responsibility for this accident; first we want to say sorry to the families of the actors. We will provide an explanation to everyone later."

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2018/09/20180918-yeung-pan-pan-suffers-burn.html

Edited by AlbertV

10 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

It looks like a natural gas leak. Hope everybody recovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILcQDqg3BI

From the translation I read, the granary caught fire too and that spilled to where the actors were. Granted it was Google translate, but this is what I got:

"We only asked the stuntmen to fire in the two village houses next to the fire. The granary caught fire and collapsed. The last fire source boiled to the actor's position." 

Here's an update:

2d6daf27a92d6de1f5e69d1cd0b21cca.jpg

From HKSAR Film No Top 10 Box Office:

Yeung Pan Pan earlier was injured in a fire while working on the film THE AMAZING SPRING (DAI DEI WUI CHUN) in Malaysia. Yesterday she attended a press conference and had no burn on her face. Sister Pan Pan said that the recovery has been great, she rested for a dozen or so days after the injury and enjoyed her time with friends thoroughly. The film company also took great care of her. Sister Pan Pan recalled the accident, "At the time we were working on a scene in which my on screen husband Law Kar Ying pulled me out of the fire but he was burnt to death. Yet during the shoot the floor was flooded with rain water, my pants and shoes were all soaked through. Behind me were over 20 seniors without any acting experience!" Sister Pan Pan continued, "I have to praise myself for my kindness. Heaven made arrangements. Since I have been a stunt person and knew that the director would take a very long time to shoot the three scenes, I reminded everyone if they got hot from the fire not to back up, otherwise they would step on others. The best would be scattering to the sides. During the shoot, I was cultivating my emotions and crying. Everyone saw someone falling into the fire, the one covered in fire was me. You also saw a blue flame surrounding the seniors and burnt two stories high. The seniors scattered to the sides. When the fire reached me I turned around, but because my hip was already in necrosis, I couldn't turn around and fell. I thought this would be a disaster. Luckily my onscreen brother came back to pull me out. It was only in the matter of seconds!" Sister Pan Pan was fortunate that her pants and shoes were all wet, as she only suffered ankle burns. "However my 30% of my right arm was burn, my mouth, eyes, nose, eyebrows and eyelashes were burnt. During therapy, my right arm was folded up from the burn, I could forced it open but it would not stop bleeding! At the hospital the doctor saw that I would need three weeks before I would be presentable, but I took care of myself. After a week or two I was already able to see people, and I didn't have any scar!"

Sister Pan Pan gratefully said, "This disaster actually was a big deal for me, I almost couldn't come back. Heaven blessed me!" As for compensation, she sad that she did not ask for anything because this time the film company thoughtfully gave a chance to a new comer. However over 30 seniors were injured, the film company fully supported their treatment and recovery care. After the injury, Sister Pan Pan still remembered to ask the director if he could enough shots. The director said that the scenes came out great and would not need any additional shoot. The film has been scheduled for a January Lunar New Year release in Malaysia. Without any scar now, would she need any beauty therapy? Sister Pan Pan said, "The beautician saw me and saw I didn't need to do anything!" Would she perform any dangerous stunts at the Tung Wah charity show? She said that this time she would only instruct everyone on some highly difficult stunts. "Actually any performance would have its danger, I was working on a dramatic scene earlier but I still got burnt!"