I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Silver and Gold Dragon

What was the first movie you watched (by format)? Or you remember seeing?

I assume the 1st movie I ever watched must have been on a TV broadcast or VHS tape.

I do know that I went to a cinema to see the live-action version of 101 DALMATIANS. Probably on 35mm film. It must have been late 1996 or early 1997 when I was just 3 years old. Apparently I was a bit disappointed because I thought it was going to be the animation; One Hundred and One Dalmatians from 1961, which I had and still have the tape for.

I think the 1st DVD I watched was ICE AGE, shown projected in my old primary school hall in December of 2003, just before the Christmas holidays (break).

Weirdly at 1 time there was a poster for the 2004 AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS in that very hall. Maybe it was to try and  encourage us to read the novel? I don't really know why it was there, but I do remember that someone from outside gave a talk; which I can't remember much except they included clips from the movie ( the "alms for the poor?" scene). So maybe they donated the poster? It was quite weird and memorable that poster, as well as those clips in the talk, since they where rather unusual for a school. Plus it happen around the same time I became a fan of Jackie Chan.    

Also I think it's quite something that when I was at school we watched things on film, VHS, DVD and towards the end they started online streaming via youtube.

I think the 1st DVD I owned was either FINDING NEMO or THE TUXEDO in 2004.

The 1st movie I streamed online was ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND on youtube in 2007. Though I think I might have started watching FIST OF FURY on a site I can't remember the name of, but I got annoyed with the adverts every few minutes. On a side note the 1st youtube video I can remember was of the opening of DRAGON LORD. I can remember speaking to my mum on the phone and saying: "I've found this cool website that has Jackie Chan videos"  

1st BD I watched and owned was the HKR of PROJECT A.

Funny that you mention AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, its one of the first movies I remember being in the theatre for too. Finally had the chance to rewatch it last year. (Now I need to get around to Shanghai Knights and Noon again!)

All I know is that the first horror movie I saw was The Grudge, American re-make (blockbuster rental). Scared the hell out of me, still a creepy movie by most peoples standards. And probably still my favorite horror movie. Ive seen the original Japanese Ju On ones by now too, I like all of them. 

Now some of the first movies presented to me were all the Disney classic animations too. It was almost impressive how much I disliked that stuff. I dont think I ever sat through an entire one (although I do remember actually sitting through Bambi lol). Me and my brothers all just liked the Power Rangers movies as kids at that age. 

I remember the first HD DVD I got was Unleashed, some great Jet Li fighting in that one.

The first Kung Fu DVD I got was The Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection, which I still probably consider to be the best thing in my collection.

VCD: either Mismatched Couples or Descendent of the Sun  

Edited by Koravec

1st movie in the following formats:

Theater: Back to the Future

VHS: Little Shop of Horrors - the 1986 version

VCD: Ping Pong (Japanese film)

DVD: Cruel Intentions

Blu-Ray: Mulan

The 1st VCD I owned was of A CHINESE GHOST STORY III, but still I've only tested it, and never seen that movie all the way through and I'm not likely to ever watch the VCD version now, as I was able to get a DVD version since. The 1st movie I watched from start to finish on VCD was THE AVENGING QUARTET, that was only last night. 

I remember watching Commando while sat on my dad's knee. It's actually one of my earliest memories. My first cinema visit was Masters of the Universe.

I'm not sure about my first DVD. I imagine it was some horror because I was a big horror fan back when I first got a DVD player. Probably Sleepaway Camp or something similar.