Sign in to follow this  
whitesnake

Golden Job (2018) heist movie reunites Young and Dangerous cast

Ekin Cheng reunites with other cast members of Young and Dangerous (1996): Jordan Chan, Michael Tse, and Jerry Lamb, for a new heist movie, Golden Job, opening in China on September 21st.  The cast also includes Eric Tsang, Charmaine Sheh, and Kaki Sham.  Chin Ka Lok directs and co-stars in the movie.  "A group of former mercenaries reunite to plan an epic heist: boosting a truck full of medicine held by a foreign intelligence agency to supply a refugee camp in need. But when they find the truck is actually filled with stolen gold, the band of brothers realize they’ve been double-crossed by one of their own - and putting the situation right will be all out war."  Well Go USA has picked up North American distribution rights to Golden Job, giving it a limited theatrical release on September 28, 2018.  Character posters were added to Asian Film Strike on August 15th.  News at http://cityonfire.com/golden-job-young-and-dangerous-ekin-cheng-jordan-chan-michael-tse-and-jerry-lamb-trailer/ and   - http://www.wellgousa.com/films/golden-job   Well Go USA Trailer with Eng subs - 

Edited by whitesnake

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2018/09/20180904-golden-job-has-guest-stars.html

Yasuaki Kurata and Billy Chow will guest star, and according to the above article, will have a fight scene :D"(...) Japanese action star Yasuaki Kurata in recent years performed in Chinese and Hong Kong films, this time the audience would be able to enjoy his martial art again; freestyle fighting and Muay Thai world champion Billy Chow also performed and his fight scene with Yasuaki Kurata cannot be missed;"

Never sat through a single young and dangerous movie. Poster reminded me of the cheap punks I would see around Chinatown, no interest in glorifying that whole life style. Just personal, I had run ins with punks in high school and after.

A movie review of Golden Job here - https://asianfilmstrike.wordpress.com/2018/09/16/golden-job-2018-review/

"Mixing the manly nostalgia, Eastern European locations and high body count of the Expendables films with the supercharged heist & revenge plot, platitudes about family, and fast cars of the Fast & Furious films, all of it swathed of course in a very Hong Kong sense of melodrama, Golden Job obviously benefits tremendously from the built-in chemistry between its leads.  Of course for much of the runtime it's mostly banter, joshing and brotherly toasts, but once the central betrayal unfolds, some depth is added, with shades of guilt, resentment and despair packing a solid emotional punch in key moments.  It's all quite simplistic but heartfelt, and Eric Tsang's performance is so beautiful and full of gravitas as the father figure, that it's easy to forgive the lazy script - a mechanical brotherhood, betrayal and revenge affair - and commit to what happens onscreen... Action is plentiful, and with Chin Kar Lok at the helm, expectedly excellent... The finale, a full-blown coordinated assault by the heroes on an island full of paramilitaries in Montenegro, is one of the best action scenes of the year, and it's a joy to see the great Yasuaki Kurata cap off his extended cameo as a sake-loving neighbour with a brief but delightful fight against a roomfull of henchmen." 

Did anybody see it? I thought it was awesome! The action was crazy, especially the finale. Overall I enjoyed this even better than Operation Red Sea. A must-see for Hong Kong action fans!

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, mark187 said:

Did anybody see it? I thought it was awesome! The action was crazy, especially the finale. Overall I enjoyed this even better than Operation Red Sea. A must-see for Hong Kong action fans!

I got through watching the HK Blu-ray recently, and agree it was much better than a lot of recent HK output.  This & 'Big Brother' evoke a welcome feeling of nostalgia to the HK flicks of old, so would be a good double bill.  I gave 'Golden Job' the full review treatment here -

http://cityonfire.com/golden-job-2018-review/

8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

If anyone cares, you can read my views on this one here...

We care!  Great review for an average movie.

10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

For example, an ENTIRE CAR CHASE is CGI’d. Yes, that’s as bonkers as it sounds. These cars razz around chasing each other and it’s all done in cartoonish computer graphics. Those that can laugh at it are spared the egregiousness. Me? I thought it was shit. It might as well have been Fender Bender 500.

I know what you mean, but actually, most of the car chase was done for real, with only (painfully obvious) parts reverting to CGI.  I was discussing the same with @Mike Leeder in the comments of my own review - http://cityonfire.com/golden-job-2018-review/#comment-228477

10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

His brief scuffle with some nameless henchmen is a highlight.

That nameless henchman is the legendary Billy Chow!  It's a shame he was wasted.

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I know what you mean, but actually, most of the car chase was done for real, with only (painfully obvious) parts reverting to CGI.  I was discussing the same with @Mike Leeder in the comments of my own review - http://cityonfire.com/golden-job-2018-review/#comment-228477

That nameless henchman is the legendary Billy Chow!  It's a shame he was wasted.

I had no idea! The whole thing looked CGI’d! Maybe it was just my eyes or the shiny finish on the cars. I’m glad to here it wasn’t all special effects.

And oh...yeah...I recognized Billy Chow (who has aged remarkably well). I was referring to the other dudes Kurata puts through walls etc. It is a huge shame that Chow is wasted. I imagine the guy still has it.

I finally watched this. I enjoyed it. I haven't seen enough Jordan Chan films, but man, that guy's voice is just DEEP. Ekin Cheng has indeed aged well and there were some parts that I thought he was going to be too wooden, only to express some emotions through facial expressions that suggested the character was doing his best to be the strong one of the moment. The Kurata cameo was cool, and I started to get all giddy when he suddenly started beating people up. Sadly, his scuffle with Billy Chow lasts only about three seconds before it gets interrupted by an unexpected and unnecessary (to the audience) gunshot. And then at the end, there's a quick second that suggests that Chin Kar-Lok is going to go all acrobatic--he's aging ver well, too--on Billy Chow, only for him to blow his head off. That said, the final shoot-out is easily on par with anything we've seen in the John Wick movies or a top-tier John Woo flick. The CGI is the weak point of the film. The digital blood during the finale is obvious, and the Chinese can't do CGI explosions to save their own lives. And the car chase in Japan had some moments that took me out of the action.

I always admired Kar Lok, thought of him as the best AD working in HK in the last decade and a half or so, and I genuinely enjoy his acting presence as well. But in all honesty: despite a cast that made me run to see this , GOLDEN JOB is a total mess. Shockingly predictable plot, badly executed, poorly - no laughably - written and saddled with some of the worst FX in living memory (I mean, CG in Chinese language films did look a whole lot better recently than three or four years ago. And not just in OPERATION RED SEA or EXTRAORDINARY MISSION). Yes, I understand there must have been some tampering with the script to get the go-ahead of the ever more intrusive censorship hacks and maybe they had to fight with budget constraints (that would explain the dismal quality of the CG work), but the cookie cutter roles and incessant 'brotherhood' ramblings forced on all the acting talent assembled here sink the project even before the half-time mark. Final shootout is on par with what we saw in recent JOHN WICK movies ? Well, bodycount-wise maybe. But in terms of creativity, staging and inventiveness of the action, the JOHN WICK films are simply on a different level.

Oh, and wanna see Jordan Chan in a great and fairly recent film? Go for TRIVISA, he's killing it!

Edited by Sheng