Jump to content
DragonClaws

Jackie Chan: 88 Films Blu-Ray Releases

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

@sifu iron perm although many other Jackie Chan films come close (and there's always an ever-changing battle for second place between many titles), DRAGONS FOREVER is probably my favorite. So you can bet I'm giving it my all. Hopefully, in your book, it will eligible for a "supertastical" rating.

That is supertastical news my man..

 

*BENNY FLYING BACK KICK YUEN BIAO*  feature in art! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Excuse me if this has already been brought up. Will the up-coming HD release of Heart of The Dragon feature the longer cut of the film?. Unlike the Hong Kong Legends DVD, which presented the missing  fight scenes as Deleted footage instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

 

Excuse me if this has already been brought up. Will the up-coming HD release of Heart of The Dragon feature the longer cut of the film?. Unlike the Hong Kong Legends DVD, which presented the missing  fight scenes as Deleted footage instead.

It’s been discussed on some of the Jackie chan threads on Blu-ray.com, search “‘Heart of the Dragon 88 films” and “the Protector 88 films. Interesting info which could make you get your hopes up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

It’s been discussed on some of the Jackie chan threads on Blu-ray.com, search “‘Heart of the Dragon 88 films” and “the Protector 88 films. Interesting info which could make you get your hopes up!

 

There was a subtitled Widescreen VHS release by Hong Kong Classic's, which contained the longer cut. I was dispaointed to find out the Hong Kong Legends DVD version was the shorter cut. I've only just recently purchased the HKL DVD release of this movie. Don't mind picking up 88 Films release to help support the label, and hopefully get a better quality version on Disc. There are a few U.K releases of Hong Kong films on Blu-Ray, that I'd like to pick up soon.

 

51Y7P2MTC0L._SY445_.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hong Kong version is the standard one, as featured on most Cantonese-language releases in the past.

There is the Cantonese-language Japanese version, which is longer in places and has a different ending. It has featured on a few releases (German and Japanese), and I don't see barriers that would prevent its inclusion, but we'll have to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chen lung said:

The Hong Kong version is the standard one, as featured on most Cantonese-language releases in the past.

There is the Cantonese-language Japanese version, which is longer in places and has a different ending. It has featured on a few releases (German and Japanese), and I don't see barriers that would prevent its inclusion, but we'll have to see.

By “ longer in places” do you mean the extra fight scenes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed I have the German Blu Ray which include the extra fight scenes unfortunately no English subtitles hopefully 88 films can rectify this with their version coming to Blu Ray in March 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, chen lung said:

Yes, but there's other stuff, too.

Here are details.

Cool! The quality of those shots looks nice! Much better PQ than what I’m used to seeing them in. So hopefully they can include the longer cut remastered! Even if it isn’t the main feature I’d be buzzing for the longer version in remastered quality!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

Just watched Heart of the Dragon restored trailer on YouTube, looks beautiful! It’s obviously the trailer for the HK cut.

A shame they didn't restore the original one, though.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chen lung said:

A shame they didn't restore the original one, though.😋

Yeah that’s the trailer I always remember. My fingers are crossed so hard for a 2k or 4K print of the Japanese version, preferably with original music. 🤞🤞🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, kingofkungfu2002 said:

Miracles is now shipping from 88 Films store.

Thanks for that. I thought it was going to be released later but went ahead and ordered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 3:58 AM, Drunksnake said:

Yeah that’s the trailer I always remember. My fingers are crossed so hard for a 2k or 4K print of the Japanese version, preferably with original music. 🤞🤞🤞

The Japanese release of the Japanese release (in HD but most likely not restored from 2k or 4k) still looks quite good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 5:38 AM, Asmo said:

The Japanese release of the Japanese release (in HD but most likely not restored from 2k or 4k) still looks quite good.

Japanese side titles? English subs?  Behind the scenes footage etc?Link please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Japanese side titles? English subs?  Behind the scenes footage etc?Link please?

It has removable Japanese subtitles (nothing embedded). See DVDCompare.

I doubt any distributor will get the behind the scenes stuff produced for Japanese TV because of the limitation of footage that can be used, not to mention the eye-watering cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, chen lung said:

It has removable Japanese subtitles (nothing embedded). See DVDCompare.

I doubt any distributor will get the behind the scenes stuff produced for Japanese TV because of the limitation of footage that can be used, not to mention the eye-watering cost.

Really so not even Japanese distributors can release it? But doesn’t the Japanese extreme edition of Project A contain behind the scenes? Wouldn’t this include the same kind of legalities? There was a Japanese dvd release of heart of the dragon with BHT footage and outtakes, how would they have been able to use it for that release would it be because it was for the Japanese?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I indeed made a mistake (apologies) on 'Heart of Dragon'; the DVD reportedly contains a behind-the-scenes featurette (48 minutes) as well as a special video (15 minutes), but neither are on the Blu-ray (perhaps licensing had changed, it was included in full by mistake, or the producer did not want to include non-HD material). I was only ever sent an AVI of the main feature from this disc.

It seems 'Project A' has something on the 2014 Extreme Edition (only the 2011 is mentioned on the first page of this, but there is discussion pages later on the more recent edition):  Two separate clips (1 and 2), possibly taken from a fuller featurette and adding music, etc.

Another explanation: The footage is from a different holder to the one for 'Dragons Forever', hence its inclusion. Will investigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, chen lung said:

I think I indeed made a mistake (apologies) on 'Heart of Dragon'; the DVD reportedly contains a behind-the-scenes featurette (48 minutes) as well as a special video (15 minutes), but neither are on the Blu-ray (perhaps licensing had changed, it was included in full by mistake, or the producer did not want to include non-HD material). I was only ever sent an AVI of the main feature from this disc.

It seems 'Project A' has something on the 2014 Extreme Edition (only the 2011 is mentioned on the first page of this, but there is discussion pages later on the more recent edition):  Two separate clips (1 and 2), possibly taken from a fuller featurette and adding music, etc.

Another explanation: The footage is from a different holder to the one for 'Dragons Forever', hence its inclusion. Will investigate.

No apologies necessary. That’s quite interesting but also still slightly confusing why some can have rights and some can’t. Thanks for your informative reply, let us know if you find out more please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have now watched Miracles from 88 films twice, with original mono and alternate mono. What a movie! Hadn’t seen it for years and really enjoyed it, didn’t seem to drag as I remembered. Stunning restoration and great audio. Definitely one of Jackie’s best efforts! Will be watching the shorter version soon but was wondering if all the action is intact or has some of it been trimmed?

Edited by Drunksnake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Have now watched Miracles from 88 films twice, with original mono and alternate mono. What a movie! Hadn’t seen it for years and really enjoyed it, didn’t seem to drag as I remembered. Stunning restoration and great audio. Definitely one of Jackie’s best efforts! Will be watching the shorter version soon but was wondering if all the action is intact or has some of it been trimmed?

Glad to hear you're enjoying it again (and even more) after all these years. I think I may have felt it dragged in spots the first time I saw it too, as I was expecting it to be wall-to-wall action. But once I knew what the deal was I've always enjoyed it a lot each time I watch it.

As far as I remember the shorter version has all the action intact. I think it's missing a lot of subplot stuff and some comedy.

I got MIRACLES in the mail, but haven't had a chance to put it in the player yet. The booklet and packaging look terrific though (not meaning the slipcover... though I do like it. 😊 LOL). I'm always happy when companies provide double-sided covers so you have the option to choose the one you like best. This batch of Jackie titles from them has been really impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would echo what is being said; I never really enjoyed it when I was younger, but now I very much do. I'm personally not into the export version (mainly because I watched the Cantonese one back in 2002 via HKL DVD), though at least it's there for those who are. As for details, see this.

Edited by chen lung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×