Asmo

Drunken Master II getting a Japanese and HK blu-ray release.

No English subs of course. Audio listed as Japanese and Chinese. Running time is listed as 101 minutes. Interesting that it's listed as 'Drunken Master II'. Which may suggest that the English dub(s) aren't included. Will be interesting to see if it's a new restoration or just the one done for the 'Legend of the Drunken Master' blu-ray.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/酔拳2-HDデジタル・リマスター-ブルーレイ-アルティメット・コレクターズ・エディション-Blu-ray/dp/B07FMYGZNS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532073877&sr=8-2&keywords=drunken+master

Edit: looking at the features it seems like both the HK (specifically mentioning the ending that is usually cut) and US versions are included. They're listing it as being released for the first time on blu-ray, maybe in reference to the HK version? 

Edit again: 

The Japanese blu-ray of Drunken Master II is getting a Hong Kong release. Hopefully it's a port with English subs.

http://www.deltamac.com.hk/product.php?id=12814

Yeah, looks like both versions then. I don’t need subs for this. Just curious what the source will be for the uncut version? But, the design is pretty much the same as the SITES and DM box set that first showcased the HD masters for those films. Hope this is a new HD master and not an upscale off the old Thakral master. 

The extras alone might be worth the investment. 

Edited by reason108

It will indeed be interesting to see if this is a new master. Hopefully new info comes out sooner, rather than later.

There will be a Japanese release, Korean and HK. The Japanese release would be the one to get, I would guess, as it may include all known releases (different edits - Warner, Dimension and HK). But, the higher price and lack of English subs is frustrating. But, it should have the English dub (at least on the Dimension cut). Now, pretty sure that both the HK and Korean releases will have English subs but probably no English dub. All that I want is the uncut release with the original audio track. So, I am waiting to see before I fork out any cash on this release. I already own the Dimension release, so, if this is not an improvement over that then I will just save my money. But, getting someone to get this and report back or being able to do screenshots might prove a little difficult to do. I really hope this is a new master/re-mastered. Then, I would just pick up the cheapest version with the original audio soundtrack. Waiting....

It appears that both the HK and Korean releases will have both Cantonese and English audio. If this is true then that is good news, probably. But, it still seems that only the Japanese are getting the 3 cuts of the film in one boxset. 

Japanese blu-ray:
Content of this volume Blu-ray recording]
Drunken 2 2 <Hong Kong Open Version>
◆ HD Digital · Remastered Edition
◆ Japanese Dubbed 2 Version included 1 Golden Movie Theatrical Version 2 software version

【Contents of Japanese-only award Blu-ray recording】
● Drunkenness 2 <International Version>
● Drunkenness 2 <US release version>
● Drunkenness 2 <Japan release version>
● Promotion Video
● Jackie Chan interview

【Limited to Japan Limited Bonus】
★ Hong Kong Version & US Edition Mini Poster
★ Complete Booklet with Commentary Explanation Booklet
★ Mini lobby card (6 kinds)

Main Part Blu-ray
· HD Digitally Remastered Edition

· Golden Movie Theater The first recorded version of Japanese dubbing broadcast version. Software version dubbed and 2 versions included

Japan only award Blu-ray
· Phantom ending "Hong Kong released version" first recorded in Japan

· This version is the only voice of Jackie Chan. "US released version" first recorded in Japan

- Import valuable images for promotion video at the time of publication in Japan

· Interview footage of Jackie Chen telling this work is included

Japan Limited Enclosed Benefit
· Hong Kong version & US version mini poster

· Complete Booklet with Explanation Booklet

Commentary: Mitsuru Mitsuru (sound director, director, writer)

· Mini lobby card (6 kinds)

· Beauty outer case

https://www.amazon.co.jp/酔拳2-HDデジタル・リマスター-ブルーレイ-アルティメット・コレクターズ・エディション-Blu-ray/dp/B07FMYGZNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1538095154&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=drunken+master+ii

http://www.novamnm.com/product/blu-ray-the-legend-of-drunken-master/1454/?cate_no=100&amp;display_group=1

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=16719

Edited by reason108

I'm surprised more people aren't excited for this. I've been awaiting an uncut, original language Blu Ray of this film (with English subs) for ages. I'll definitely be picking this one up if all this turns out to be true.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:20 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I'm surprised more people aren't excited for this. I've been awaiting an uncut, original language Blu Ray of this film (with English subs) for ages. I'll definitely be picking this one up if all this turns out to be true.

I'm not excited about any 4k bluray releases. Why should I be? First I watched all those movies on VHS, then on DVD, then Blu ray. I've seen them literally dozens of times and know them frame by frame. I don't even want to re-watch'em  again anymore. Even DVDs are good enough for me. The less-than-perfect picture has its own charm and suits old HK movies just fine. I know, I'm not gonna enjoy a 4k version anymore than I enjoyed it years ago, watching a movie for the first time. Plus, I'm not a stupid teenager to waste my money on the same movie for the forth time. Although I understand a young HK movie fan buying it to enjoy the movie for the first time

8 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

I'm not excited about any 4k bluray releases. Why should I be? First I watched all those movies on VHS, then on DVD, then Blu ray. I've seen them literally dozens of times and know them frame by frame. I don't even want to re-watch'em  again anymore. Even DVDs are good enough for me. The less-than-perfect picture has its own charm and suits old HK movies just fine. I know, I'm not gonna enjoy a 4k version anymore than I enjoyed it years ago, watching a movie for the first time. Plus, I'm not a stupid teenager to waste my money on the same movie for the forth time. Although I understand a young HK movie fan buying it to enjoy the movie for the first time

This isn't a 4k remaster, from what we know.

1 hour ago, mark187 said:

So I take it this has the Dimension English dub? Was that the only one done for this with Jackie’s real voice?

We won't know for sure what it has until it comes out. If it's just a port of the Japanese disc, it might have it (and possibly also the Golden Harvest dub). And yes, the Dimension dub is the only one with Jackie's real voice.

DDDHouse has it up for preo-order. However, it says that one of the audio tracks is English. Does that mean it'll be the US cut of the film? Or will the English track play until the infamous last scene where there will be no subs? Ooooor will it has two cuts of the film: Dimension and "International?" Questions, questions.

13 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

DDDHouse has it up for preo-order. However, it says that one of the audio tracks is English. Does that mean it'll be the US cut of the film? Or will the English track play until the infamous last scene where there will be no subs? Ooooor will it has two cuts of the film: Dimension and "International?" Questions, questions.

I've heard that the HK/Korean release features the export English cut. So you'd possibly be getting the old English dub, rather than the Miramax one. The export cut ends right after the final fight. Could have more than one cut though.

As for the Japanese set with its multiple cuts, we'll have to wait and see.

2 days until the HK Blu-ray is released.

I have ordered the HK release as the Japanese release is a little expensive for me. If if turns out the Japanese release has something remarkably better than the HK release ill buy it.

1 minute ago, newgen2005 said:

2 days until the HK Blu-ray is released.

I have ordered the HK release as the Japanese release is a little expensive for me. If if turns out the Japanese release has something remarkably better than the HK release ill buy it.

I pre-ordered the HK release too. Hey, even if it is the cut version, at least it's got the original language included and (hopefully) a vastly superior picture to my copy of Legend of the Drunken Master.

1 minute ago, Drunken Monk said:

I pre-ordered the HK release too. Hey, even if it is the cut version, at least it's got the original language included and (hopefully) a vastly superior picture to my copy of Legend of the Drunken Master.

Fingers and toes crossed :). Hopefully DDDhouse will dispatch soon. Where about are you located? I am in the UK so it's going to be a while before I get my copy.

3 hours ago, newgen2005 said:

Fingers and toes crossed :). Hopefully DDDhouse will dispatch soon. Where about are you located? I am in the UK so it's going to be a while before I get my copy.

I’m located in the US. East coast. My copy of The Unity of Heroes from DDDHouse got here super quick recently. About a week and a half.

As per the HKR thread, the HK release is uncut. Original mono. But the subtitles are SDH subs, and partially dubtitled. Still quite good news.

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Only SDH subs? Maaaaan, that sucks. I’ll tolerate them but I’d have preferred better ones.

Same here. But this is likely the best we'll be getting unless Eureka, or another distributor that's willing to put the effort in, picks it up for release.

15 hours ago, Asmo said:

Same here. But this is likely the best we'll be getting unless Eureka, or another distributor that's willing to put the effort in, picks it up for release.

Hopefully Eureka will put out their own Blu-ray of  Drunken Master 2.

On 10/14/2018 at 4:35 AM, DarkKnight said:

Hopefully Eureka will put out their own Blu-ray of  Drunken Master 2.

Hope so. I bought the HK edition to support the release, but I'd gladly double dip on a Eureka.