Sign in to follow this  
DragonClaws

Project Guttenberg: Chow Yun Fat, Catherine Chau, Aaron Kwok (2018)

“Hong Kong police hunting a gang of exceptional currency counterfeiters. Through a gang member (Kwok) whom they extradite from Thailand, the police find themselves on the trail of the gang’s shadowy mastermind (Chow).” M.A.A.C

Some good news for Chow Yun Fat fans, production has started on this Felix Chong(The Last Bladesman) directed crime thriller.

Poster and Information from M.A.A.C, Link- http://www.maactioncinema.com/

He's back and brandishing a pump action shotgun.

32157015_1802026583150887_22681888376561

5 hours ago, Asmo said:

Could be pretty solid.

Looks like it could be anohter bad-ass role for Chow Yun Fat, to add to the many others he's played over the years.

Another new trailer on Distribution Workshops Facebook. It actually looks like it’ll have a little bit of awesome action and some of the best Chow Yun-fat gunslinging in a while!

Hollywood Reporter film review of Project Gutenberg here - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/project-gutenberg-mouh-seung-film-review-1146801

"Chow Yun-fat channels some of his most iconic screen work as a suave, sophisticated, sharp-dressed gentleman criminal, and Aaron Kwok continues his mid-career creativity with another vaguely unsavory character in Felix Chong's throwback crime thriller Project Gutenberg... Bathed as it is in rough-hewn, desaturated browns and grays, anchored by a pair of solid set pieces, structured cleverly enough to keep the tension simmering and blessed with a pair of endlessly appealing stars, Project Gutenberg should generate a fair amount of interest at home in Hong Kong.  Audiences and distributors looking for the next great actioner from the SAR will also sit up and take notice, and it should find a place on the genre and Asian festival circuits... To give away more [plot] details would mean revealing Project Gutenberg's more salient twists and turns, though sharp-eyed viewers steeped in crime dramas may see them coming a mile away.  But Chong's plot-heavy script has its share of pleasures, chiefly the opportunity for Chow to be more charmingly badass, and threatening than he's been in a long time (and clearly loving it)... However, if Chong is expecting lightning along the lines of Infernal Affairs to strike twice, he's missed the mark.  Project Gutenberg is a perfectly serviceable diversion, but it lacks the density and cat-and-mouse psychology of Affairs (never mind the post '97 themes), largely because there's no cat... Chong is adept with his pacing and rarely lets the generous running time get away from him... A budget rumored to be in the $40 million range makes for strong technical specs, welcome location shooting and a strong supporting cast... to complement cinematographer Jason Kwan's meticulously washed out images."   

Edited by whitesnake

It's an OK movie. Mainly carried by Aaron Kwok's perfromance. The story around a counterfeit syndicate while not new is pretty well done. I was entertained until the first action scene which was pretty awful (fake explosions... Again). Thankfully it picks up from there and the main action scene features some good gunplay and explosions... An old but welcome formula. CYF + white suit + dual wielding = Ass Kickin' ! Unfortunately CYF gives also one of the poorer performances of the entire cast IMHO. Overall we are left with a (at times) nicely staged crime story which offers nothing new and average action scenes.

Unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment. Not a bad film, but overlong and just a little bit too convoluted. Some brief cool moments of action but unfortunately a noticeable amount of cgi. Chow Yun-Fat was great though and Aaron Kwok was solid

Something of an ok movie, I agree. Not more, not less... and that's mainly because Chong is always an interesting writer (yep, with a knack to make his storys too convoluted)  and obviously because of the superlative performances of the two leads. I didn't get over the screeching plot twist in the final reel, honestly (went to see the film again the next day coz I felt I was too jet-lagged and missed something... well, I didn't!)  Nicky Li's action gets insanely OTT (as it did in EXTRAORDINARY MISSION), especially in the Golden Triangle shoot-out. Its a sequence that feels like a postcard from the golden days of HK cinema with Chow, double-gun-slingin' and dressed in white, mowing down scores of mu'fuckas running undauntedly into the muzzle fire of his heavy artillery. Nostalgic with a John Woo-ish touch (and certainly a lot better than anything Woo himself dished up in his pretty dismal MANHUNT), the whole set-up nevertheless lacked any semblence of believability and felt kinda out of place here.

Yes, CG enhancement was certainly noticeable, but not as painfully distracting as in other recent HK/China co-ops.

Edited by Sheng

Yeah I’ll give it another watch eventually. That was the best scene, but I think my expectations were too high. I thought the action in Extraordinary Mission was much better. Still that Chow Yun-Fat shotgun dive was dope, so was him ejecting that clip towards the end 

At the 2019 Hong Kong Film Awards on April 14, Project Gutenberg won the awards for Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Art Direction, and Best Costume & Makeup Design.  From   https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hong-kong-film-awards-2019-winners-list-1201971