I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Koravec

Rejected Avatars

Out of all the profile pictures we could choose, it can be difficult to decide on one. Knowing that it will represent you and every post you make on this site. Some poeple change their avatars frequently. Others still don't have one at all, after all the years they've been a user. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway I think it would be fun for people to post avatars that didn't quite make the cut, or close seconds, thirds, etc.

(Also feel free to post past avatars you've used. Or maybe a telling of what your current one represents/where its from if you want.) 

Maybe this thread will be fun, maybe it will be lame and flop. I may chime in if it gains traction. 

On 4/27/2018 at 4:17 AM, Koravec said:

avatars that didn't quite make the cut

"Well now" I almost used this DRAGONS FOREVER gif:

DF.gif

"But Still" I went for the PROJECT A one I'm using now instead.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:17 AM, Koravec said:

Also feel free to post past avatars you've used.

"Well now" this was the last avatar I had in the Kung Fu Cinema Forum era:

large.25_zps4b4227c9.jpg.10b501b19e8ea2f

Top left is from FIST OF FURY, displaying the character for 武 (martial). Top right is Ma Yue Fung (silver haired) and Lung Siu Fei (gold haired) as "Silver and Gold Tiger" from KUNG-FU OF EIGHT DRUNKARDS. Bottom left is me doing the hand gesture from FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS next to a HKL DVD box set (from the HKL magazines) it was actually originally from a youtube video I did. Bottom right the well know yellow carpet in SWORDSMAN AND ENCHANTRESS.

5 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

"Well now" I almost used this DRAGONS FOREVER gif:

Amazing, this gif gets funnier the more I watch it. Im geussing you make those. 

And you used those four pictures together as an avatar? Like a collage, nice must of been extra hard to choose! Are you still active on youtube?

Anyway, the idea for this thread was that I wanted to use this hilarious photoshop rendering (not mine) of Karl Pilkington. Though I ended up liking my current one better. This was brought back to mind when I noticed someone had An Idiot Abroad in their "latest dvd/blu-ray purchases". I wish I could remember which film my current pic is from. I think Buddah Assinator or Chessboxing? Maybe not, dont know–haha... 

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Koravec said:

Are you still active on youtube?

My channel got taken down so since then "I don’t waste my time with it". (uploading videos to youtube that is) I'm "too busy lookin’ good". etd jk.jpg

photoshop rendering (not mine) of Karl Pilkington.

Might be a bit obvious but I'll mention anyway, that the original photo was of Charles Darwin:

Charles_Darwin_photograph1-366x500.jpg

I wish I could remember which film my current pic is from.

Isn't it Carter Wong in BORN INVINCIBLE? (With a superimposed glowing eye)?

4 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

My channel got taken down so since then "I don’t waste my time with it". (uploading videos to youtube that is) I'm "too busy lookin’ good". 

Isn't it Carter Wong in BORN INVINCIBLE? (With a superimposed glowing eye)?

I believe so, that sounds about right! (phone flash from where I snapped it off the tv, but thought it looked cool)

And youtube isnt what it once was, I dont blame you.

I wouldn’t say I’ve struggled with my avatar but I’ve toiled with my username.

Back when I named myself this, I was an alcoholic. Still am, but I’ve been sober for nearly 300 days now. Sometimes seeing my username here is troubling bit most of the time I remember it’s just a silly gimmick.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Back when I named myself this, I was an alcoholic. Still am, but I’ve been sober for nearly 300 days now. Sometimes seeing my username here is troubling bit most of the time I remember it’s just a silly gimmick.

Just think of yourself as more "Monk" than "Drunken" nowadays. And congrats again on your sobriety. Stay in it.

16 hours ago, Koravec said:

phone flash from where I snapped it off the tv, but thought it looked cool

Oh right, I assumed it was a very deliberate effect since it's so well aligned with his eye.

15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’ve been sober for nearly 300 days now.

13 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

And congrats again on your sobriety.

Yes, congratulations Monk.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:26 PM, Drunken Monk said:

most of the time I remember it’s just a silly gimmick.

I don't think anyone would be opposed to you changing your username if you found it necessary. After all, Im sure most people would know you by your avatar if you did. Can't think of many relevant phrases or words that rhyme with drunken, perhaps nunchucks or jumpin. But it is fair to have changed your martial role, after all that is the system this site is based on as your currently a Supreme Sword Fighter. Also drunk style fighting does not always infer that the fighter is actually under the influence but only seem so. Thereby, you may be trying to trick us all right now :wondering. In all seriousness though, congrats on fulfilling your goals.

Not Martial enough, but a cool pic otherwise. Glad Elias brought the guitar smashing back.

image.jpeg

Edited by Koravec

I didn't rejected any avatar and had to think a little while in order to choose which one would be on this site, so, I use various avatars in the few forums I'm writing on (when I think that years ago, I was totally against forum and thought I that  would never register there...!!).

Here are they :

27914.jpg

DavidChiangDaWei-33-t.jpg

TheFistThatKills+1972-4-t.jpg

TheRats+1973-3-t.jpg

And of course, Angela Mao here.

Thanks to hkmdb for most of the pictures...

Edited by ShawAngela

On 4/26/2018 at 11:17 PM, Koravec said:

Out of all the profile pictures we could choose, it can be difficult to decide on one. Knowing that it will represent you and every post you make on this site. Some poeple change their avatars frequently. Others still don't have one at all, after all the years they've been a user. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Also feel free to post past avatars you've used. Or maybe a telling of what your current one represents/where its from if you want.)

This thread may be interesting @Koravec.

The reasons I chose my avatar...

I'm a huge Sonny Chiba fan, and THE STREET FIGHTER is one of my all time favorite films. This image is from a scene where he disguises himself as a monk to get into a prison and make contact with a prisoner. Though he is posed in prayer, the intensity in his gaze says "I am capable of, and willing to kill if need be". I relate strongly to the dichotomy presented there. When I was a kid I was very shy, quiet, peaceful, and compassionate. I wasn't interested in any kind of violence or rough-housing outside of watching it in cinema. I liked to draw, read, watch movies, and observe nature. When I was a teen I got jumped by a bunch of guys (for daring to say that one of them should stop picking on a girl) and they beat me up for 15-20 minutes. It altered me deeply- causing much more damage to my spirit and psyche than my body. I became filled with fear and didn't want to leave my home or be around anyone as I'd lost my trust in humanity. Fear soon became anger and resentment. My father told me it was either live the rest of my life in terror, or learn to stand up against those that would harm me. My boss, who was also a close friend, suggested I take up martial arts classes to learn to defend myself and get back my self-confidence. I had never been interested in any sports other than swimming, and had social anxiety (especially around groups of people), so I was resistant to the idea. He started talking about Bruce Lee as an inspirational figure, but was shocked when I told him that I only knew the name, and my knowledge of him ended at recognizing his image on T-shirts. At his insistence I rented the VHS of ENTER THE DRAGON that night... and my entire life changed. Seeing "The Little Dragon" in action awoke a part of me that I wasn't aware existed, and gave me tremendous hope and inspiration. I began studying the art of combat and became enthralled by seeing it depicted in films. At first I studied begrudgingly; I felt I had been forced to learn skills that were diametrically opposed to my true nature. I had to learn how to hurt people so that I wouldn't have to worry about being hurt again, and that pissed me off. It felt like I was wasting a lot of time just to prepare in case more dirt-bags wanted to harm me. Being punished for the poor behaviors of others is a real slap in the face. Same as how I felt having to pay higher insurance rates when I started driving because the young male demographic that I fit into were drinking and driving and acting like reckless assholes. Didn't matter that I would never do that, I still had to pay for their foolishness. I went through a phase (more years than I care to admit) of having a hair-trigger temper when confronted with any kind of bullying or harassment (or my conceived perception of such), and shutting down the perpetrators with extreme prejudice. Fortunately, I finally found a place of peace and wrapped my head around the true meaning of studying martial arts and its place in my life. It was an art to enjoy learning and practicing, and my skills were meant to protect myself and others that couldn't defend themselves. Learning how to destroy my enemies actually, strangely, brought back my peace of mind and spirit because my fear had dissipated. I adjusted my training to learn techniques of controlling and gaining compliance through pain rather than maiming and injuring. My strange journey brought me back to being a man of peace, but one now equipped with a dangerous arsenal of skills. I could be myself again, and I always had my skills tucked in my back pocket in case of emergency. So... that avatar image means a lot to me, and I relate to it very strongly (though I am in no way implying I'm a badass like the one and only Chiba-san! :tongue:).

The upside of the downside is that I've met all of you, enjoyed decades of thrilling martial arts entertainment, cherished learning the skills of several ancient arts, and my interest in and studying of martial arts has brought a lot of amazing people into my life- cherished friends and teachers.

And so ends this "confessional autobiographical" rambling! :xd: LOL

On 4/28/2018 at 2:42 PM, Koravec said:

I believe so, that sounds about right! (phone flash from where I snapped it off the tv, but thought it looked cool)

As others have said, I thought this was intentional. :wink:

On 4/28/2018 at 3:26 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I wouldn’t say I’ve struggled with my avatar but I’ve toiled with my username.

@Drunken Monk, first I salute you for your honesty and strength, and you have my respect for fighting your addiction and keeping your demons at bay. Well done, brother.

As for your name, I think you should embrace it. You wouldn't be who you are without the journey you took to get here- good and bad. You don't have to be intoxicated to be the "Drunken Monk", and that should be empowering in and of itself. Keep in mind that we all know you by that name, and the members here think of you fondly when they see you posting. There are no bad connotations attached to that name here within our forum family. However, if you should feel that it is bothering you/hampering your recovery, please don't hesitate to ask @SMK or I, and we will change it for you. "Sober Monk" perhaps?

34 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

A powerful messege there. I can definetly see the representation of the symbolism now. I think many of us here, if not most, can relate to your story on some level. 

In a world where we are constantly exposed to harsh realities, in the media and life. We have martial arts, real and in films, to help maintain that sense of empowerment and integrety over ourselves. Just as horror movies may pollute the mind and make poeple feel scared and helpless, kung fu films have exclaimed to us the total opposite. Martial Arts movies have shown individual people take down multitudes of opponents. And given that the choreography is realistic enough and the fighter believable enough, it can seem very real. With this sort of empowerment we can feel more comfortable in certain situations and more confident in our own abilities. This I believe, can go a long way in terms of self defense, an important but often neglected aspect of being.

20 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'm a huge Sonny Chiba fan, and THE STREET FIGHTER is one of my all time favorite films. This image is from a scene where he disguises himself as a monk to get into a prison and make contact with a prisoner. Though he is posed in prayer, the intensity in his gaze says "I am capable of, and willing to kill if need be". I relate strongly to the dichotomy presented there.

Now that you mention it I do see the duality.

Every time I see that frame in THE STREET FIGHTER, I get a sense of deja vu and think there's @KUNG FU BOB's avatar. I often go through a similar process with other members avatars.  

"Well now" I know this is a thread about avatars "but still" I didn't think it would be too off topic to discuss the images in my forum signature. In a way though THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER still frame (left) was actually a rejected avatar. In a single frame from left to right is; Sammo Hung, Lee Hoi Sang, Yuen Biao, Sai Gwa Pau, Kwan Tak Hing and Fan Mei Sheng. I said in another that BUTCHER is 'Kwan Tak Hing, a pioneer of early HK action cinema meets...major figures of the "golden era" of HK action cinema'. So I thought it would make a good avatar but with it stating; "THE END" I thought it would be fitting to finish/have below every post I make. Later I thought I was missing the iconic words "ANOTHER SHAW PRODUCTION". So I added that still frame from THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, the movie that to me and IMO is the most quintessential and iconic martial arts movie (though I aspect to the general public it's probably ENTER THE DRAGON).

Btw I'm working on ideas for a new avatar. So when I've finished it, I might explain in this thread what it is/it's meaning.   

It is not really a rejected avatar but a change.

I have been using this Brigitte Lin avatar from "Bride With White Hair" before - I think from 2007 or maybe early. 

kdsao8.jpg

I change to the current one after a member (forgot who it was) did create & share some avatars and since I had Brigitte in my signature (I did use different pics) I wanted something different as my avatar.

My current avatar is supposed to be a gif of the exchange between Sammo Hung & Yuen Wah during the final fight of Eastern Condors. But when the forum went down the first time the gif movement go disabled but I kept the picture .

I may just go back to that Brigitte avatar as I love it.

I also did use this as an avatar at one time or was it a signature? Don't remember.

2jfp6f.jpg

@thekfc  I wouldnt recognize you without that industrial fight scene picture. Though do what thou wilt I suppose. When people here have women as their profile pictures, I actaully question if theyre dudes or actually girls 🤔

After hearing Bobs story and Gold&Silver dragon pointing out about recalling different pictures while watching the films, I may make it a mission here to recall the actual film my photo is from, haha.

8 hours ago, Koravec said:

@thekfc  I wouldnt recognize you without that industrial fight scene picture. Though do what thou wilt I suppose. When people here have women as their profile pictures, I actaully question if theyre dudes or actually girls 🤔

After hearing Bobs story and Gold&Silver dragon pointing out about recalling different pictures while watching the films, I may make it a mission here to recall the actual film my photo is from, haha.

Dude here.

Avatars are used to represent a person or an idea. And in this case is to represent an idea which is what I like (most).

My favorite performer, male or female regardless of genre (Western or Asian) is Brigitte Lin Ching-hsia. She is not a martial artist but tops in my book, my 2nd fav is Sammo and they both have/are are represented for as long as I have been on this forum (I think I joined around 2003 or 2004, don't remember the exact time). 

There is a joke going around saying that when Brigitte Lin retired that was the beginning of the decline of HK cinema. 😎 

I am a drama-first action-second person and some of my favorite performers just happen to be non-martial artist & women who have had long & illustrious careers - Brigitte, Anita Mui, Maggie Cheung

26 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Carter Wong in BORN INVINCIBLE?

My man! Im sorry for doubting you, reason being is that I didnt actually think I had seen Born Invincible yet. Apparently I have... Looks like I forgot to log it in my notes (yeah lol). thanks for the clip How annoyed with me would you be if I replied "no, I dont think thats it"? 😂 .   I believe this film is due for a rewatch! 👍

Edited by Koravec

On 5/6/2018 at 2:47 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Btw I'm working on ideas for a new avatar. So when I've finished it, I might explain in this thread what it is/it's meaning. 

So I've finished working on that avatar for now:

Image 1; is a film cell I scanned of the "SHAW SCOPE" logo,  I believe it's from THE SAVAGE FIVE specifically.

Image 2; is a photo I took that I thought would be a bit whimsical. Lego Darth Vader vs Master Kau (Lam Ching Ying's character in MR. VAMPIRE). Also that's not just some random stone between them, it's actually a meteorite I own. It's part of the Campo del Cielo group to be specific (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_del_Cielo)

Image 3; is a production still of

On 5/6/2018 at 2:47 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, the movie that to me and IMO is the most quintessential and iconic martial arts movie (though I aspect to the general public it's probably ENTER THE DRAGON).

Image 4; is the 1st original movie poster, I brought. I picked WHEELS ON MEALS as movies of the Three Dragons where some of the 1st HK movies I personally saw (and I'm still a big fan of the  Three Dragons today).

Image 5; while personally I didn't particularly like THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN much. The  appearance of Ted Thomas (who's in the still frame)  was probably my favourite part. I know kung fu movie dubs are a rather acquired taste, but still I reckon people like Ted Thomas helped Asian cinema become more accessible to the English speaking audience. Besides I've acquired that taste.

In a way that Ted Thomas image is starting to remind me a bit of @ThunderScore's avatar. As he's had the image of the ninja talking into a phone for years now.

Image 6; is "Silver and Gold Tigers" from KUNG-FU OF EIGHT DRUNKARDS. Their important characters to me as they where the inspiration for my username. Also I like them because their almost like twin white haired masters.

Image 7; a Spanish lobby card for THE KILLER my favourite Heroic bloodshed movie.

Image 8; is actually the cover art design for a video game WAY OF THE SAMURAI (a series I discovered thanks to this forum).  I guess I felt like expressing another interest of mine. I also use it as my avatar on steam.

Image 9; a production still of FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS showing the hand sign from the movie. As I've said a few times in the past I think that hand sign, should be the martial art movies fan's equivalent of the Vulcan salute.

Image 10; is a still frame from a trailer for THE STORY OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER. While I personally rate the movie itself less than average. I thought it was a great shot of Sharon Yang and Simon Yuen as his most iconic character.   

I might change the images by adding or removing some, but still I think I'll keep it to a maximum of 10 (though initially I was thinking 5)... 

As we dont use our real selves in our profile pic, our avatars become a sense of identity of ourselves and to eachother on this site. I feel like after a certain point the image we choose reflects us somehow and it would be a bit strange to switch it up.  

Had me recall this after reading a really old post someone made here about wishing to see who a lot of users are in real life someday. 

Anyway heres a cool pic, perhaps too steortypically 'badass' or something lol. (like I said, I probably wouldnt switch my pic up at this point, Ill still like my current the best anyway)

image.jpeg

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, Koravec said:

As we dont use our real selves in our profile pic, our avatars become a sense of identity of ourselves and to eachother on this site. I feel like after a certain point the image we choose reflects us somehow and it would be a bit strange to switch it up.  

Had me recall this after reading a really old post someone made here about wishing to see who a lot of users are in real life someday. 

Anyway heres a cool pic, perhaps too steortypically 'badass' or something lol. (like I said, I probably wouldnt switch my pic up at this point, Ill still like my current the best anyway) 

I did briefly use this picture of myself, for an avatar back in the Kung Fu Cinema Forum days:

Kiai.jpg

(I think it was originally taken in May of 2008).

9 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I did briefly use this picture of myself, for an avatar back in the Kung Fu Cinema Forum days:

Kiai.jpg

(I think it was originally taken in May of 2008)

cool stuff man, I could imagine that a thread of us posting old martial arts photos of us could be cool, but Im not gonna start that one, Ive got enough other bad thread ideas to throw out their in time, its always me and you coming up with new topic ideas lol