AlbertV

Kwon Young Moon (Appreciation Thread)

Grandmaster Kwon Young Moon, known to fan circles as "The Mad Korean", is a grandmaster 9th-degree black belt in the Korean martial art of Taekwondo. He has also studied Qigong. He has trained Sylvester Stallone in the martial art. He has done his share of martial arts films in Korea and Hong Kong (including Return to the 36th Chamber and My Young Auntie) and would relocate to Los Angeles in the 80's, where he assisted director Richard Woo-Sang Park in doing fight choreography for L.A. Street Fighters (aka Ninja Turf) and Miami Connection, shot on location in Orlando, Florida.

Go to 2:52 on this clip to see Kwon in 2016, where Youtube user James Park met him.

The many faces of Kwon Young Moon

ActionTaeKwonDo+1972-2-b.jpg

Action Tae Kwon Do (1972)

ReturnedSingleLeggedMan+1974-6-b.jpg

The Korean Connection (1974)

BlackDragon+1975-10-b.jpg

Black Dragon (1975)

TheShaolinPlot+1977-59-b.jpg

Shaolin Plot (1977)

Returntothe36thChamber+1980-11-b.jpg

Return to the 36th Chamber (1980)

KungFuZombie+1981-18-b.jpg

Kung Fu Zombie (1981)

DragonLord+1982-75-b.jpg

Dragon Lord (1982)

ProjectA+1983-21-b.jpg

Project A (1983)

YellowSkin+1985-4-b.jpg

Yellow Skin (1985)

kym2016.jpg

2005 at a Russian Nights Festival in Hollywood

YoungMoonKwon040305-R41.jpg

Here's Kwon in 2016 at JK Tae Kwon Do (he's on the far left) with Martin Lawrence, who is a blue belt in TKD under GM Jin Ki Lim (Center).

IMG_2261.jpg?format=2500w

Edited by AlbertV

On 5/31/2018 at 5:26 PM, AlbertV said:

IMG_2261.jpg?format=2500w

Years been kind to him although I guess healthy lifestyle also has something to do with it. I wish one of best movies he was in, rebellious reign would one day get release as widesceen version. Had full screen dvd but got rid of it as "missing action" hurts viewing experience too much in wrong ratio.

6 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Years been kind to him although I guess healthy lifestyle also has something to do with it. I wish one of best movies he was in, rebellious reign would one day get release as widesceen version. Had full screen dvd but got rid of it as "missing action" hurts viewing experience too much in wrong ratio.

Merry Shitsmas