Sign in to follow this  
DragonClaws

The Shaw Brothers Van & Other Related Randomness

sbvan.jpg

Anyone remember this van? Was this the van that delivered movie reels to the various Shaw cinemas? Or, perhaps this van was used for advertising?

We think that the man in the photo is the father of Shuen Huey Foo (our donor). Thanks Huey Foo

Can anyone here answer the above question?.

Image and TxT from the following site, Link- http://www.ipohworld.org/2012/02/10/a-shaw-brothers-van/

Edited by DragonClaws

From what I've read, this was one of the vans that would deliver films to the roughly 200 independent theatres in Malaysia that were contracted to play only Shaw films. There was a fleet of them, not just this one.

The part of the Shaw organization that made films in Malaysia originally only had a studio in Nova, Singapore at the bottom of the Malay Peninsula and they shipped the films out to all of Malaysia from there.

In the early 1960's Shaws bought an existing film studio in Kuala Lumpur, began making films, and a few years later after that studio had grown a bit, they moved the shipping department there. This was a better location to reach the theatres in the north since Kuala Lumpur is more centrally located on the peninsula.

This van's address: Lot 11 Jalan 13/6 Petaling Jaya, Selangor is from their shipping and storage warehouse in Kuala Lumpur. So this photo is most likely circa mid 1960's when they began this part of their operation.

The Shaw films made in Nova and Kuala Lumpur are very different from the Hong Kong films. They were directed by Indian directors and stared Malaysian actors, and are nothing like the Chinese films at all. Might as well be made by a completely different company.

Edited by panku

Just took a look at the link you posted and the first comment adds some more specific details.

Edited by panku

Once again, our friend Panku shows his great knowledge about everything regarding the Shaws ! Thank you very much for this explanation !

And I confirm that the Shaws' Malay movies are nothing like the Hong Kong ones. Most of those I watched are a mix of musicals, martial arts, dramas and comedies in the same movie. I enjoyed all of them ( some were even English subbed !) and discovered famous Malay actors such as P Ramlee, Normadiah, Nordin Ahmad, Maria Menado...

For those who read French, here is an article regarding P Ramlee :

http://www.persee.fr/doc/arch_0044-8613_1973_num_5_1_1060

And here's another link where you can find Shaws' and Cathay's movies titles.

The Shaws' movies were under the names " Malay Film Productions " or " Maria Menado Productions (if I'm not mistaken) or " Merdeka productions "

http://www.p-ramlee.com/p-ramlee/archive2012-2.htm

3 hours ago, panku said:

From what I've read, this was one of the vans that would deliver films to the roughly 200 independent theatres in Malaysia that were contracted to play only Shaw films. There was a fleet of them, not just this one.

Bows head, thank you @panku, really appreciate your feedback.

Now we need to find a vintage shot featuring a whole fleet of these vans.

Here are a couple of screen caps from the 1966 Shaw film The Mating Season. These would be from the early summer of 1966. While this van was not used for the same purpose as the van above, which was from a division of the company specifically for delivering film prints in Malaysia, I believe this was one of the Hong Kong studio vans used for general purposes such as location shoots and ferrying people and / or other cargo around. Here it gets a brief cameo in The Mating Season, a romantic comedy starring Peter Chen Ho and Pat Ting Hung.

mating season shaw van 01.png

mating season shaw van 02.png

Rather than start anohter thread, I thought this image would be suited to the others here.

Taken from this very imformative Wikipedia page, Link- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaw_Brothers_Studio

A Saigon movie theatre displays eye catching promotional posters for the Thundering Swordsman(1967), starring Cheng Pei Pei.

Saigon_1967_Shaw_Brothers.jpg

09a_jalan-ampas-seniman-bujang-lapok-196

Stumbled across these images while searching online, thought it might interest you @panku and @ShawAngela

S Roomai Noor (second from right), father of Anita Sarawak, at Shaw Brothers Studio in Jalan Ampas
Source, Link- ttp://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline/photographs/record-details/9f58d3e3-1162-11e3-83d5-0050568939ad
img0077.jpg
Edited by DragonClaws

run-run-shaws-son-kidnapped-in-19641.jpg

4. Kidnapping of movie tycoon Shaw Vee Ming

In February 1964, the eldest son of movie mogul Run Run Shaw was kidnapped at gunpoint in Andrew Road when he was on his way to work. The four-men gang also abducted his driver. Twelve days later, bo

Image/Txt, from the following site, Link- https://remembersingapore.org/2011/01/24/headlines-that-shook-singapore/

0302_SHAWswords.jpg

(Image from thie following article)

The Shaw Brothers Cinematography History Collections

Link- https://driwancybermuseum.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/the-shaw-brother-cinematography-history-collections/

Edited by DragonClaws

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

interesting link, thanks for sharing !

I didn't read all, but I came across something I wasn't aware of : from what I quickly read, it seems that the movie The warrant with Shih Szu and Au Wei is a Shaw Brothers' movie.

If you’ve ever purchased a VHS of your favorite Shaw Brothers film from your local Chinatown area video store, chances are that you’re already unknowingly familiar with our next guest.  He’s partially responsible for tracking down and securing some of the rarest Martial Arts films of the time that some diehard collectors were actively searching for while others never knew existed.  Not only has he been around the genre since the beginning, he’s also a walking encyclopedia and archivist of knowledge and memorabilia on the subject of all things Shaw Brothers

Diggin' Kung Fu With Tom Fardy(Interview) Shaw Brothers Expert/Super Fan

Link- https://nostalgiaking.com/2017/10/01/diggin-kung-fu-with-tom-fardy/

Scan_Pic0475.jpg

I had planned on doing a long article on that kidnapping a few years back. It's one of those Shaw tales not many have heard about. I may have to proceed with that in the near future. 

2 hours ago, teako170 said:

I had planned on doing a long article on that kidnapping a few years back. It's one of those Shaw tales not many have heard about. I may have to proceed with that in the near future. 

The following short article, will be of interest to you, and any other fans, who are intrigued by the event.

Unedited Description Supplied by Transferring Agency:

MR RUN RUN SHAW FLEW OFF TO HONG KONG AT 4.30 PM ON A MALAYSIAN AIRWAYS JET TO "COMPLETE" BUSINESS WHICH HAD BEEN DISRUPTED WHEN NEWS OF HIS SON'S ABDUCTION REACHED HIM. AT THE AIRPORT TO SEE HIM OFF WERE HIS BROTHER, MR RUNME SHAW, VEE MING, HIS WIFE LILLIAN, THEIR TWO-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER PRISCILLA AND MR RUN RUN SHAW'S YOUNGER SON, MR HAROLD SHAW.] CINEMA MAGNATE MR RUN RUN SHAW, WHOSE SON VEE MING HAS BEEN RELEASED BY KIDNAPPERS, SMILES AGAIN AS HE PLAYS WITH HIS TWO-YEAR-OLD GRANDDAUGHTER PRISCILLA JUST BEFORE HE BOARDED A MALAYSIAN AIRWAYS JET FOR HONG KONG YESTERDAY TO "COMPLETE" UNFINISHED BUSINESS". CARRYING PRISCILLA IS HER MOTHER LILLIAN.

Covering Date:
18/12/1964
Media - Image No:
PCD0181 - 077

[(L-R) RUN RUN SHAW, PRISCILLA, LILLIAN SHAW]

img077.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

[RELAXED IN THE PLUSH HOLLAND HILL MANSION OF HIS FATHER, KIDNAP VICTIM, MR SHAW VEE MING, 31, SON OF CINEMA MAGNATE MR RUN RUN SHAW APPEARED NONE THE WORSE OFF YESTERDAY AS HE DESCRIBE HIS 12-DAY ORDEAL TO STRAITS TIMES REPORTER ABUL FAZIL.] EXTRACT FR TEXT: [RELAXED IN THE PLUSH HOLLAND HILL MANSION OF HIS FATHER, KIDNAP VICTIM, MR SHAW VEE MING, 31, SON OF CINEMA MAGNATE MR RUN RUN SHAW APPEARED NONE THE WORSE OFF YESTERDAY AS HE DESCRIBE HIS 12-DAY ORDEAL TO STRAITS TIMES REPORTER ABUL FAZIL.]

[(L-R) SHAW VEE MING, ABUL FAZIL]

img073.jpg

MR RUN RUN SHAW FLEW OFF TO HONG KONG AT 4.30 PM ON A MALAYSIAN AIRWAYS JET TO "COMPLETE" BUSINESS WHICH HAD BEEN DISRUPTED WHEN NEWS OF HIS SON'S ABDUCTION REACHED HIM. AT THE AIRPORT TO SEE HIM OFF WERE HIS BROTHER, MR RUNME SHAW, VEE MING, HIS WIFE LILLIAN, THEIR TWO-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER PRISCILLA AND MR RUN RUN SHAW'S YOUNGER SON, MR HAROLD SHAW.

[MR SHAW VEE MING, 31, ELDEST SON OF CINEMA MAGNATE MR RUN RUN SHAW, TODAY SPOKE OF HIS "TERRIFYING ORDEAL" OF 12 DAYS IN DARKNESS AS PRISONER OF A KIDNAP GANG. WITH HIS DRIVER, MUNDARI BIN IKLAL, 45, HE WAS ABDUCTED ON FEB 5 BY FIVE-MAN GANG FROM HIS CALDECOTT HILL ESTATE BUNGALOW. VEE MING WAS ON HIS WAY TO WORK IN HIS FIAT WHEN THE KIDNAPPERS POUNCED ON HIM. HE AND MUNDARI WERE RELEASED SHORTLY BEFORE EIGHT ON SUNDAY NIGHT.] VEE MING ("I LOST 17 LB")...

[(L-R) PRISCILLA, LILLIAN, SHAW VEE MING]

img078.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

SCENE WHERE MR SHAW VEE MING, SON OF MR RUN RUN SHAW AND HIS MALAY DRIVER, MUNDARI BIN IKLAL WERE KIDNAPPED BY FIVE ARMED GANGSTERS NEAR HIS RESIDENCE IN CALDECOTT HILL ESTATE. THE SPOT IS A SHORT MUDDY STRETCH BETWEEN JOAN AND THOMSON ROADS.

img069.jpg

For more article/images, on the same subject, click on the link below.

Link- http://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline/photographs/record-details/6384ac30-1162-11e3-83d5-0050568939ad

MRS RUNME SHAW AND MRS RUN RUN SHAW OF SHAW BROTHERS LIMITED DISTRIBUTING CHINESE NEW YEAR GIFTS TO THE ELDERLY

img006.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

A few more Shaw Brothers related items.

img0106.jpg

HONG KONG ACTRESS ELSIE TU, 33, BECAME AN ACTRESS AFTER THE DEATH OF LIN DAI IN JULY 1964 - AS  A RESULT OF A SEARCH BY SHAW STUDIOS TO FIND A REPLACEMENT OVER THE DEAD ACTRESS' ROLE IN AN UNCOMPLETED FILM.

img0104.jpg

HONG KONG ACTRESS MARGARET TU CHUEN (LEFT) AND PEARL AU KAH WAI AT LUNCHEON AT THE SHANGHAI ROOM. THEY ARE HERE FOR A SERIES OF FIVE STAGE SHOWS AND FOR LOCATION SHOOTING OF THIER LATEST CANTONESE FILM "THE FATE OF THE SWAN"

img0103.jpg

HONG KONG ACTRESS MARGARET TU CHUEN (CENTRE) AT LUNCHEON AT THE SHANGHAI ROOM. SHE IS HER WITH SIX OTHER HONG KONG STARS FOR A SERIES OF FIVE STAGE SHOWS AND FOR LOCATION SHOOTING OF HER LATEST CANTONESE FILM "THE FATE OF THE SWAN"

Shaw Brothers Fork

We are not quite sure what this is... But we believe it is a commemorative item for the Shaw Brothers' cinemas that still grace the island today. If you have any more information, please contact us.

As an interesting side note, Shaw Organisation was founded in Singapore way back in 1924.

KP1_7458.jpg

Imaf=ge & TxT from the following site, Link- http://singaporestoreroom.com/?portfolio=shaw-brothers-fork