I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

DragonClaws

Temple Of The Unknown: The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

11 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Whoever it was sounded like a cat in heat! The sound design in general on the English language of GOD'78 is very poor.

Didnt they re-use some of of Lee's war cries from his completed movies too?, I know this was the case with Tower Of Death(1981).

18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Didnt they re-use some of of Lee's war cries from his completed movies too?, I know this was the case with Tower Of Death(1981).

In the HK and Japanese edits of GOD'78, yes. And Tower of Death - both English and Cantonese versions.

12 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

In the HK and Japanese edits of GOD'78, yes. And Tower of Death - both English and Cantonese versions.

It might be Chris Kent who did the war crys for the English print of the 78 film. He was very close with cast member Dan Inosanto around that time.

i saw Game Of Death at the Scala Cinema, Liverpool in 1978. I was 14 years of age and managed to get in, even though it was an X certificate. My first exposure to Bruce Lee, i knew of him of course but knew nothing about him really,except he had died. I really thought he was in this throughout at the time! I then remember a few years later getting a german Super 8 400ft version featuring the Inosanto fight which of course,was completely cut from the UK cinema version. I was mesmerised.

17 hours ago, saltysam said:

I then remember a few years later getting a german Super 8 400ft version featuring the Inosanto fight which of course,was completely cut from the UK cinema version. I was mesmerised.

If there wasnt already too little actual BL footag, the U.K edition managed to cut out an entire fight, and make some minor reductions to the itger two pogoda fights.

I saw the same cut print on VHS in the 90's, having already viewed Lee's other films, it was a big let down. Especially aftering seeing the GOD section, in BL The Legend the night before. Which really prsents Lee's original idea in a good light. This still didnt deter me from seeking out GOD 2 on VHS.

Cool post @saltysam

On 21/04/2018 at 11:12 AM, DragonClaws said:

How did you first get introduced to the Game Of Death?, were introduced to it via the Robert Clouse version, or the later John Little A Warriors Journey film?. Or did you see one of the Bruceploitation flicks, that tried to cash in on the G.O.D mystery/following in the 70's. Maybe you read about first in magazines, books or online.

Mr Lee, with crew member Ricky Chik, filming the third floor of the pogoda seqeunce.

22509aacc3d4527c5f3d1530741634d7.jpg

I first heard about Game of death through Kung Fu monthly back in the early 80s,I had a poster from the magazine of Bruce Lee in his yellow jump suit brandishing his nunchaku.I managed to hire the movie from the video store(Rank release)and was very confused when there was not only no nunchaku scene but the whole Inosanto scene cut,it wasn’t till many years later that I managed to get a u.s cut of the film.I was so pleased I had that cut but then as the years went by you begin to hear there is more footage and I became a little obsessed with it.(and here I am now still a little obsessed and we are all still talking about it😀👍👍)

17 hours ago, sym8 said:

I first heard about Game of death through Kung Fu monthly back in the early 80s,I had a poster from the magazine of Bruce Lee in his yellow jump suit brandishing his nunchaku.I managed to hire the movie from the video store(Rank release)and was very confused when there was not only no nunchaku scene but the whole Inosanto scene cut,it wasn’t till many years later that I managed to get a u.s cut of the film.I was so pleased I had that cut but then as the years went by you begin to hear there is more footage and I became a little obsessed with it.(and here I am now still a little obsessed and we are all still talking about it😀👍👍)

Thanks for sharing your story here @sym8.

Early Japanese VHS release.

BL1120.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

James Tien, Chieh Yuen and Bruce Lee as Hai Tien, try and get past the guardian of th third pogaoda floor Ji Han Jae.

BL1133.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

On 4/10/2018 at 10:24 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

A Man Called Tiger. Bruce Lee: Lover of Animals!

tigerfur.jpg

i wonder if that Tiger skin/costume was resurrected in Tower of Death with the cowardly Lion appearance?

😁

On 5/13/2018 at 9:33 AM, sifu iron perm said:

i wonder if that Tiger skin/costume was resurrected in Tower of Death with the cowardly Lion appearance? 

😁

They must have got the old lion costume from The Wizard of Oz, during a studio clear-out sale.

Ok, so director/producer Ng See Yuen was approached by Raymond Chow to direct GOD 2. He's noted for saying that there was originally going to be more BL footage from the 72 film, Lee was working on. It's known that there are still unseen reel's from this project, do you think it was a legal reason why Chow decided not to use it?. Maybe while working on the 78 film, Chow felt they could double their profits, and split the Lee footage into two seperate productions?.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?.

BL strikes a pose, during a break from filming on location, for Game Of Death.

In Hong Kongs New Territories.

5a582b056bce57613d0b48195b248d3c--bruce-

On 5/18/2018 at 3:56 PM, DragonClaws said:

Ok, so director/producer Ng See Yuen was approached by Raymond Chow to direct GOD 2. He's noted for saying that there was originally going to be more BL footage from the 72 film, Lee was working on. It's known that there are still unseen reel's from this project, do you think it was a legal reason why Chow decided not to use it?. Maybe while working on the 78 film, Chow felt they could double their profits, and split the Lee footage into two seperate productions?.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?.

BL strikes a pose, during a break from filming on location, for Game Of Death.

In Hong Kongs New Territories.

5a582b056bce57613d0b48195b248d3c--bruce-

I think I remember reading some where that Ng See Yuen when he saw the footage he was disappointed because there was so little of it and that’s why he used some stuff from Enter the dragon,I think he said it was a hopeless task but maybe Raymond Chow being the businessman had held some back to keep the Bruce Lee money train rolling.

On 5/19/2018 at 4:26 PM, sym8 said:

I think I remember reading some where that Ng See Yuen when he saw the footage he was disappointed because there was so little of it and that’s why he used some stuff from Enter the dragon,I think he said it was a hopeless task but maybe Raymond Chow being the businessman had held some back to keep the Bruce Lee money train rolling.

Even if Lee had filmed a lot more footage, that doesnt mean they could have found a way to work into the movie either.

Chow knew he could make some money with the GOD footage, guess it took him awhile to figure out how.

Edited by DragonClaws

Hai Tien vs The Karatekas?, or just a rehearsal for an unfilmed sequence from GOD?.

a52481bdb9e1811d88bb7aec67c72127.jpg

Cropped image of Lee facing Kareem, with his sleeves rolled down, possibly from the Golden Harvest promo film?.

602aa4d3139b70b15d40e1baedc15d78.jpg

Fan poster art, complete with the Concord film logo.

e40ecd6db651ef2be3bc6c4985081e9a.png

Ok, so according to Andre Morgan Lee was fiming GOD without a complete set script. Which was not unusal for early 1970's Hong Kong cinema. I just find it odd that he approached WOTD very differently, having twenty pages of notes and drawings just for the final fight. I'm sure the idea for GOD was not as vague as its now played out to be. Sure Lee must have had some sort of plan written down, even if it was a flexibale one, not set in stone.

Raymond Chow claimed he didnt want to complete the film, and only did it, to appease legal deals he'd made with distributors, before Lee's death. Let's face it, even if they set out with an un-limited budget, with the intention of re-creatng Lee's idea to the best of their abilitys. It was still going to be a huge up-hill struggle, and they never mention the fact Chih Yuen. Who features heavily in the original footage, had since tragically passed away in 1976. A patch up job covering the absence of the star, was tough enough. Add to this a missing supporting cast member, and there was no way they could completed the film back then. I think Lee possibly filmed more footage, it just might be a case of they simply couldnt insert it into aother flick, with the exception of the three shortened down fight scenes?. They could have put those three fights, into many other stories, and filmed most of the film with three doubles, like they did in 77.

What are other peoples thoughts? do you think they downplay how much Lee filmed?. I'm not saying there's a whole almost complete movie out there, thats certianly not the case. Just feel that he may have shot more scenes, maybe  stuff that didnt feature the Hai Tien character?.

Edited by DragonClaws