DragonClaws

Temple Of The Unknown: The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

31 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I thought they had put the movie together in under a year?, so they started filming in 1979?.

Lot of these movie have big plot-holes, I just dont think they were paying too muh attention to the script/story?.

Maybe the 3 years referred to the length of time from the conception of the movie to it's actual release rather than the production time, possibly much time was spent deciding what Bruce Lee footage should be used (or not be used) as Ng See Yuen was reportedly led to believe there was more than there actually was.

According to the GOD 2 Wikipedia page Hwang tried to frame Lewis for his death, but again i'm not sure how the viewer is supposed to come to this conclusion, I guess for me anyway these holes in the plot just add to the charm of this film.

3 minutes ago, andy338 said:

According to the GOD 2 Wikipedia page Hwang tried to frame Lewis for his death, but again i'm not sure how the viewer is supposed to come to this conclusion, I guess for me anyway these holes in the plot just add to the charm of this film.

I think the one armed butler was behind a lot of things in the movie, sure it was him piloting the hleicoptor that stole Billy Lo's coffin too. He teamed up with Ching Ku and they used Lewis's, Korean temple as a cover for their international drug operations. Lewis was probably too busy eating raw venison and practicing his Tiger Style, to even notice what his butler was really upto.

It always makes me smile that the one armed butler's secret is that he actually isn't one armed! Why would you fake that? Then on revealing his other arm it transpires that he still can't fight anyway so any advantage that this element of surprise may give him is non-existent! This film really is nuts, but for some reason I absolutely love it.

On 02/04/2018 at 7:04 PM, andy338 said:

It always makes me smile that the one armed butler's secret is that he actually isn't one armed! Why would you fake that?

lol, and just how did he keep the fact he had one armed stuffed up his shirt, from Lewis?.

On 02/04/2018 at 7:04 PM, andy338 said:

This film really is nuts, but for some reason I absolutely love it.

Too bad we never got Game Of Death 3, with more from Kim Tai Chung, and less of the BL stock footage.

GAME+OF+DEATH+2+%25284%2529.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

None of GOD 2 makes any sense at all. I've heard about "making it up-as you go along" but this just insults the viewer.

Billy's visit to Bobby is just there to introduce that character for later (padded with monks having a bout of staff fighting), and the scenes with the monk/ Bobby's room.

So Chin Ku dies...we never see that or told how he died...barking mad scenes of helicopter  snatching coffin and Billy's death...really, who would dangle from the skids from a helicopter?

Bobby watches a film of Chin Ku & Lewis training and notices the valet has one arm...that somehow makes him no.1 suspect in Lewis' murder?

Bobby catches up with the valet who proves to have two arms...wtf? Then get's into the so-called Tower of Death where guys  in 1960's Toho sci-fi gear prowl around guarding a Willy Wonka-esque strawberry lake.

Next we have a guy in a Leopard Skin outfit as a guard..is it fancy dress day at the Tower of Death? When Bobby overcomes him he's face with a monk in orange robes...another guard next to Chin Ku's coffin in a scifi/bond style chamber. None of this is explained, probably because no one could. Christ, the last episode of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner is more coherent.

Thank god there's some decent fight scenes! :-)

On 03/04/2018 at 12:04 AM, shukocarl said:

Then get's into the so-called Tower of Death where guys  in 1960's Toho sci-fi gear prowl around guarding a Willy Wonka-esque strawberry lake.

Loved this line, made me laugh out loud.

It's the amazing team of fight choreographers and the Martial Arts talent on-screen that really make it, in a crazy off centre kind of way.

Never knew about thsi Dragon Empire alias, though it does say Tower Of Death, in the bottom right hand corner.

96q0007q9n0437op159.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

GOD 2 doesn't need a plot for its amazing fight choreagrphy and action pieces, location and cinematography and the soundtrack theme is mesmerising.

Plus the bonus: we get to see the cowardly Lion from wizard of oz in action.

On 04/04/2018 at 11:35 AM, sifu iron perm said:

Plus the bonus: we get to see the cowardly Lion from wizard of oz in action.

Looks like the Lion had dropped on hard times, judging by the state of his suit in Tower Of Death.

On 04/04/2018 at 11:35 AM, sifu iron perm said:

the soundtrack theme is mesmerising.

None of GOD 2 makes any sense at all. I've heard about "making it up-as you go along" but this just insults the viewer.

Billy's visit to Bobby is just there to introduce that character for later (padded with monks having a bout of staff fighting), and the scenes with the monk/ Bobby's room.

So Chin Ku dies...we never see that or told how he died...barking mad scenes of helicopter  snatching coffin and Billy's death...really, who would dangle from the skids from a helicopter?

Bobby watches a film of Chin Ku & Lewis training and notices the valet has one arm...that somehow makes him no.1 suspect in Lewis' murder?

Bobby catches up with the valet who proves to have two arms...wtf? Then get's into the so-called Tower of Death where guys  in 1960's Toho sci-fi gear prowl around guarding a Willy Wonka-esque strawberry lake.

Next we have a guy in a Leopard Skin outfit as a guard..is it fancy dress day at the Tower of Death? When Bobby overcomes him he's face with a monk in orange robes...another guard next to Chin Ku's coffin in a scifi/bond style chamber. None of this is explained, probably because no one could. Christ, the last episode of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner is more coherent.

There's a thread somewhere on hear where it's revealed that the Korean version was changed so Kim Tai Chung just plays one character throughout the film, and instead of "Bruce" dying in the helecopter scene, it's that random denim dude!

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Killer Meteor said:

There's a thread somewhere on hear where it's revealed that the Korean version was changed so Kim Tai Chung just plays one character throughout the film, and instead of "Bruce" dying in the helecopter scene, it's that random denim dude!

I knew that...Lol :-)

61228724_1_x.jpg?version=1523405735&widt

59481640_1_x.jpg?version=1&width=512&for

It's unusual for lobby cards promoting the 1978 Robert Clouse movie, to use images, featuring background characters from Bruce Lee's 1972 film. Even though Clouse used some of the James Tien/Jabbar fight from the 72 footage. Which is the case with these French lobby cards from the late 70's.

Edited by DragonClaws

How did you first get introduced to the Game Of Death?, were introduced to it via the Robert Clouse version, or the later John Little A Warriors Journey film?. Or did you see one of the Bruceploitation flicks, that tried to cash in on the G.O.D mystery/following in the 70's. Maybe you read about first in magazines, books or online.

Mr Lee, with crew member Ricky Chik, filming the third floor of the pogoda seqeunce.

22509aacc3d4527c5f3d1530741634d7.jpg

14 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Is it true that Dan Inosanto student Chris Kent was the individual who dubbed the fighting sounds of "Billy Lo" portrayed by Bruce Lee and others in the '78 Game of Death?

This is talked about on the HKL Game Of Death audio commentary, just not listened to it in sometime.

15 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Is it true that Dan Inosanto student Chris Kent was the individual who dubbed the fighting sounds of "Billy Lo" portrayed by Bruce Lee and others in the '78 Game of Death?

Whoever it was sounded like a cat in heat! The sound design in general on the English language of GOD'78 is very poor.