I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

DragonClaws

Temple Of The Unknown: The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

Bruce Lee's un-finished Game Of Death project, will forever remain one of the biggest 'What If's' of the little dragons short career. The production was put on hold, while Lee took up Warner Brothers offer to appear in the co-produced Enter The Dragon. When he died prematurely aged 32, the film was shelved completely. Golden Harvest would use some GOD footage for their 1973 documentary The Man The Legend. Then just a few years later, Raymond Chow decided they were going to attempt to complete the movie. Enter The Dragon director Robert Clouse was brought in to script and direct the film. The completed version that hit cinemas in 1978, was a completely different movie, to the one Lee was working on. That said, how Lee's version of the movie would have eventually turned out, is still pretty much a mystery. There's a vague storyline that fans know, but just how the final cut would have looked, we will never know. There have been attempt by other film makers to create their own versions, with Goodbye Bruce Lee His Last Game Of Death, True Game Of Death, Enter The Game Of Death. Golden Harvest even put out a psuedo sequel to the 1978 version, Game Of Death 2 a.k.a Tower Of Death. Mostly for the Japanese market, where Robert Clouse’s version had made more money than Lee's previous movies combined. The black and yellow jumpsuit Lee wore remains iconic to this day, I don't anyone else who could have made it look so cool?.

With that said, here is the thread for all things Game Of Death related, feel free to share you theories, information, images and related articles here.

Bruce Lee as Hai Tien, posing for publicity shots at Golden Harvest in 1972.

178f2fcef6fdbd06644a5890b630fd16--brice-

Edited by DragonClaws

7 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

I guess this thread is primarily for the 1972 version of Game of Death, but how many people were represented by the pseudonym "Jan Spears"? Was it just Robert Clouse? Others? Raymond Chow?

I'm gonna quote myself here.

45 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

With that said, here is the thread for all things Game Of Death related.

All things Game Of Death, so that includes any of Bruceploitation related titles to the 1978 version, even Tower Of Death. Share interview's, videos, articles etc, that are related to GOD and its legacy.

40 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Did you or anyone else ever post on the old Temple of the Unknown forum? The bootlegging of Warrior's Journey and the trading/selling of the "StayCool" version of Game of Death before that, was rampant there.

1 minute ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Did you or anyone else ever post on the old Temple of the Unknown forum? The bootlegging of Warrior's Journey and the trading/selling of the "StayCool" version of Game of Death before that, was rampant there.

Having never been a huge collector of Bruce Lee memorabilia, I never posted on that site. Which always seemed to be geared more towards collectors. Dont recall the bootlegging that went off there. There used to be a lot about four or five,maybe more, really active, english language Bruce Lee forums, cant comment on the many other's run for fans from different countries.

3 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Dutch Bruce Lee by "Peers Norway" IIRC was one of my fave Game of Death/Bruce Lee sites way back in the day 1999/2000.

I dont recall that one, there used to be a lot if sites, that now blur into each other.

When I was a kid, I actually confused the '78 Game of Death and True Game of Death. When I saw GOD 78 again, I wondered why they cut out the scenes with the boxer and sumo wrestler. I had a knowledge the actor, Bruce Lee, died before completion, I guess I just assumed they were different versions of the same film. 

25 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

When I was a kid, I actually confused the '78 Game of Death and True Game of Death. When I saw GOD 78 again, I wondered why they cut out the scenes with the boxer and sumo wrestler.

True Game Of Death does borrow a lot from the 78 film, it's just even more low budget, and with added sleaze.

15 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

*Starring Bruce Lee

He pop's up in the over used Fist Of Unicorn press conference footage, and thats it. The star of the movie has actually got side-lined as the co-star.

Edited by DragonClaws

Good Thread! I've been trying to piece together Game of death for years, Of course no one would know the outcome, but with Lee's notes, interviews and other clues, one can see the possible outline. I wanted to create a storyboard drawn out and started on some of it a few years back. There was a plausible chance (back then) someone could have filmed close to what Lee wanted, using the remaining cast, students, philosophy and the best Bruce Lee look alike, then years later use CGI to finish it. I believe at least up to 80% of the story is visible in Lee's notes and writings, and the interviews with friends, but the rest is a mystery. Bruce could have possibly died at the end of the film (if not from exhaustion) he would fight to the death after he saves his family. Just a hunch.   

Edited by TheFlyingPanda
misspelling/ typo

20 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Temple of the Tiger.

How long is the chain on those nunchaku?

3 hours ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

Good Thread! I've been trying to piece together Game of death for years, Of course no one would know the outcome, but with Lee's notes, interviews and other clues, one can see the possible outline.

True, there was a Japanese book that outlined a lot of the story. There was going to be an attempt by fans to translate this, but it's all gone quite?, as far as I know.

3 hours ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

There was a plausible chance (back then) someone could have filmed close to what Lee wanted, using the remaining cast, students, philosophy and the best Bruce Lee look alike, then years later use CGI to finish it. I believe at least up to 80% of the story is visible in Lee's notes and writings, and the interviews with friends, but the rest is a mystery. Bruce could have possibly died at the end of the film (if not from exhaustion) he would fight to the death after he saves his family. Just a hunch.   

Great idea, in regards to creating your own story board, based on what information there is out there. Lee said to Andre Morgan, when the Enter The Dragon offer was accepted, that at least they didnt have to think about coming up with an ending for awhile.

Edited by DragonClaws

Abbas Alizada (the Afghan Bruce Lee) could be used to Finish Game of death or create a More accurate Biography of Bruce Lee today. Crap! If I had the capital, I would do it myself. One Idea (if not a G.O.D. remake) would be a Biography of Bruce Lee's Philosophy, his thoughts while creating Game of Death. The film would focus on this time, we would theoretically see what he was imagining, dreaming and filming, as his fame was rising. Bruce Lee was a big dreamer, he had a sharp imagination and foresight.  

Edited by TheFlyingPanda

17 minutes ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

One Idea (if not a G.O.D. remake) would be a Biography of Bruce Lee's Philosophy, his thoughts while creating Game of Death. The film would focus on this time, we would theoretically see what he was imagining, dreaming and filming, as his fame was rising. Bruce Lee was a big dreamer, he had a sharp imagination and foresight.

I hoped the John Little film A Warriors Journey would have been similar to this idea. Or a documentary that just focused on this part of his life. Not getting into any morbid areas like his death, just a focus on his life in H.K for one year. With the edited footage as the finale. Little's film turned out to just be another generic documentary, with the re-edted Pogoda footage being the only unique thing that really stood out.

19 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Great thread this has always been one of those films that intrigues me,and I still love the 78 version.

My first intorudction to G.O.D was the small section featured in The Legend documentary. The 78 version was a big disapoint to me as a young teenage fan. The film has grown on me over the years, and I now view it very differently. That said, there's some sections they really shouldnt have included, like the open casket shots.