I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

DragonClaws

Physical, Digital, or Both: What Are Your Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, HyperDrive said:

fake reviews on Amazon. I noticed Amazon has merged the pages of two unrelated movies of the same name as well.

Amazon reviews are confusing like that - seems they randomly group reviews for sometimes not even remotely close products, so you get reviews that feel very out of place or even make no sense in the context they're presented in.

Also, some are questionnable just because of what is said or the rating - a movie can get five stars because everything's perfect yet someone else says the quality of the transfer is crap and gives it one star ? A product gets one star not because it's terrible but because the reviewer received a damaged product or didn't receive the product (shouldn't that be in a seller review and not a PRODUCT review ?) ? 

17 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

Not to mention that video store staff recommendations are better than fake reviews on Amazon. I noticed Amazon has merged the pages of two unrelated movies of the same name as well.

The reviews have always been mostly iffy on that site, right from the early day's. When your making the kind of profits that company is, guess there's no rush to change it.

17 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

Amazon reviews are confusing like that - seems they randomly group reviews for sometimes not even remotely close products, so you get reviews that feel very out of place or even make no sense in the context they're presented in.

Also, some are questionnable just because of what is said or the rating - a movie can get five stars because everything's perfect yet someone else says the quality of the transfer is crap and gives it one star ? A product gets one star not because it's terrible but because the reviewer received a damaged product or didn't receive the product (shouldn't that be in a seller review and not a PRODUCT review ?) ? 

Then there is the fake review problem, where product seller's or creator's give their item top review's.

Without adoubt I much prefer physical it looks so good in collection especially some of the amazing artwork that gets done this gets a massive thumbs up for me personally good job guys kept it rolling.

I like both, I have one of these, it provides me with personal cloud storage, any new DVDs/Blu-Rays I get I back up to it. I have two 10TB drives & 2 free bays with still 70% free space. You can use Kodi with it.

1244346.jpg

I originally had a Slice Media Player, but I really wanted to find a way of having access to my movies when away from home without having to drag around a extra physical device.

Another Digital Platform is to launch in the U.K soon. Will the future see us paying mutiple monthly bills to watch/own a digital collection of entertainment. You pay monthly for your mobile phone, and a heap of other services. At least when you have a physical collection, you don't have to keep paying out money. To own the item you aready own. Streamingcan have so many benefits for people, I know it not all negative. I just see the people who are steering it ship, wanting us all paying out more money in the long run. The biggest insult for U.K films and t.v fans, is the BBC already charge its constumer's for a monthly license fee. All ITV/BBC prgrams will be removed from other digital platform's.

THE BBC has been savaged by the British public on social media for the launch of its subscription service, Britbox with ITV.

Link- https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1155685/BBC-news-latest-licence-fee-ITV-britbox-uk-news-netflix-anthony-hall

Netflix, The Office, and the end of watching everything: The "fragmentation" of streaming TV shows is only a problem if you're used to the buffet of cable.

Starting in January 2021, the hit sitcom will become exclusive to a new streaming service that NBC plans to launch next year, and it’ll remain there until at least until the start of 2026. The Office is yet another example of major TV networks pulling their shows from streaming services—and Netflix especially—to boost their own over-the-top offerings. Disney and AT&T’s WarnerMedia are making similar moves as they plan to launch new streaming services later this year.

Link- https://www.techhive.com/article/3405576/netflix-and-the-end-of-watching-everything.html

Streaming TV is about to get very expensive – here's why

With Disney, Apple and others about to launch their own services, a lot of your favourite shows are likely to vanish behind paywalls. The golden age of streaming is over

Link- https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/27/streaming-tv-is-about-to-get-very-expensive-heres-why

On 7/1/2019 at 3:19 PM, DragonClaws said:

Being able to talk to people about the film your purchasing, getting suggestions, feedback etc.

In my neck of the woods this is basically non-existence......unless you walk into one of these 2nd hand stores or one of these ethnic store. I have a few African stores near my home that sell DVDs but then that is titles that are not readily available.

But then if you go to one of the bigger chain store then very likely you would know more than the person behind the counter & you would be the one giving the suggestions.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:19 PM, DragonClaws said:

Though I'm not sure how it works if you dont have money to keep the service?. Does your bank account become over-drawn, or is your access to a service just cut  off?

It's like this.

"Usually" you have a grace period (15 days, 30 days, etc,) but that depends on the (terms of the) service you subscribe to. 

For some service if the bill is not paid by a certain date, then you will not have access to some/all of your services until your bill is paid. 

Some services will let you go up to a certain period of time but add a late fee to your bill; if it is not paid by the next billing cycle then you are cut off.

Note: Your account is not deactivated - it just go dormant.

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Streaming TV isn't going to be more expensive. 

In fact with all these services there will be more competition, better services/products competing for your money.

2 hours ago, thekfc said:

Streaming TV isn't going to be more expensive.  

In fact with all these services there will be more competition, better services/products competing for your money.

Hi @thekfc, I just feel with more services, you will need more money if you want access to all of theml. Then there the Tier system being brought in by WWE, for their streaming service. How long until other sites bring this system in?.

I cant speak for the US, but over here we pay a basic T.V license. Two major channel's are now planning to charge people more money on top of the license fee. Just so they can access material, that been screened/repeated on T.V for year's.

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @thekfc, I just feel with more services, you will need more money if you want access to all of theml. Then there the Tier system being brought in by WWE, for their streaming service. How long until other sites bring this system in?.

I cant speak for the US, but over here we pay a basic T.V license. Two major channel's are now planning to charge people more money on top of the license fee. Just so they can access material, that been screened/repeated on T.V for year's.

Here in the USA we do not have a TV license fee, just buy/get your TV and you are good to go.

You just pay for the cable service & the tier that you want (you may not even need/want cable). You can upgrade or downgrade as you wish. You can switch to a different company (if they service your area) as you please - there is no penalty or cancellation fee (unless you are in a "special" contract with them). Sometimes the cable companies do charge you an installation fee.

We have 5 major TV networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & CW) that are free over-the-air, so all you need is an antenna to bring in the signal. There are plenty other channels that are free....if you can get the signal. Personally I get about 90 free over-the-air channels but I hardly watch any of them. I am lucky because I am in an area with unobstructed views to where the TV towers are located, some people may not even get half of what I get.

I got rid of cable a long time ago & never looked back -  I didn't need it and was paying for something I didn't want.  

The good thing for us here in the USA is that you have the option to try out a service to see if you want it; Some have either a 7 day, 14 days or 30 days free trials. Some channels like HBO & Showtime also once in a while have a free weekend/week viewing period.

On June 30, 2019 at 6:05 PM, JackieChan said:

Here's just some of my collection.

IMG_20190630.jpg

Theres actually a really cool thread titled Your Collection. Nice looking shelving and use of space there.